News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Savonarola

Ant Man (2015)

So if Ant Man's mass remains the same when he shrinks, why doesn't he crush the ants as he sits on them?  :unsure:

;)

So long as you can repeat to yourself, "It's just a movie, I should really just relax" this is a great deal of fun.  The final battle on Thomas the Tank Engine is simply marvelous.  (Ant Man dodged Yellow Jackets laser and socked Yellow Jacket in the jaw.  Isn't that a lovely thing to do, thought Thomas.)

During the first scenes I found myself thinking, "Isn't Michael Douglas a lot older than that?  Is this archival footage?"  :unsure:
(As it turns out they CGId in 80s Michael Douglas.) 
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Malthus

Quote from: celedhring on June 06, 2016, 01:35:55 AM
Is The Knick gross? Otherwise I will take your recommendation and watch it. But I read the surgery scenes are pretty graphic (yeah I am squeamish like that)

For the love of god don't watch A Young Doctor's Notebook:lol:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Young_Doctor%27s_Notebook_(TV_series)

It is awesome (it is based on the short story collection of the same name by Mikhail Bulgakov - who wrote The Master and Margarita) but man is it ever gruesome.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Martinus

Quote from: Malthus on June 06, 2016, 12:55:40 PM
Is The Knick gross? Otherwise I will take your recommendation and watch it. But I read the surgery scenes are pretty graphic (yeah I am squeamish like that)

It is awesome (it is based on the short story collection of the same name by Mikhail Bulgakov - who wrote The Master and Margarita) but man is it ever gruesome.

Is it the one with Harry Potter? I was planning to see it. Will check if Netflix has it.

Malthus

Quote from: Martinus on June 06, 2016, 12:58:03 PM
Quote from: Malthus on June 06, 2016, 12:55:40 PM

Is it the one with Harry Potter? I was planning to see it. Will check if Netflix has it.

Yup. And the guy from Mad Men.

They play the same character. Often in the same scene.   :lol:

There is one scene where they take a bath together that you might like, if you are inclined in that direction.  ;)
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Valmy

An intimate scene with a younger version of yourself? I don't think Marty would be interested in something like that.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

celedhring

Quote from: CountDeMoney on June 06, 2016, 12:34:22 PM
Lol, if you're squeamish then, no, turn-of-the-century surgical practices may not be for you :lol:
But you would be doing yourself a disservice by skipping it.

I am the guy that always wanted to be a doctor until I saw my first medicine book.  :x

I guess I can always skip the disgusting bits.

Josephus

I do close my eyes from time to time, yeah
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

celedhring

The Fantastic Mr. Fox. Loved it. I'm known to find Wes Anderson über-quirkiness a bit grating in large dosages, but here it works just right. Very enjoyable.

The Larch

Quote from: celedhring on June 06, 2016, 03:25:49 PMThe Fantastic Mr. Fox. Loved it. I'm known to find Wes Anderson über-quirkiness a bit grating in large dosages, but here it works just right. Very enjoyable.

If there's no room for quirkiness in a movie based on a Roahl Dahl story, what have we come down to?  :P

celedhring

Quote from: The Larch on June 06, 2016, 03:56:53 PM
Quote from: celedhring on June 06, 2016, 03:25:49 PMThe Fantastic Mr. Fox. Loved it. I'm known to find Wes Anderson über-quirkiness a bit grating in large dosages, but here it works just right. Very enjoyable.

If there's no room for quirkiness in a movie based on a Roahl Dahl story, what have we come down to?  :P

Yeah, that's why I think it works better for me than the rest of his movies. The style and the source material fit very well.

CountDeMoney

Yeah, I love Wes Anderson, but he works best when he is restrained and subtle, which he has largely ignored his last two films. But Fantastic Mr. Fox is exactly that.

Berkut

Me and Earl and the Dying Girl

Accidently watched this when I got home and the wife was watching while I was playing Hearthstone on the iPad.

It was surprisingly good - I actually put the iPad down and watched it. It is a very standard story, but told well, and told in a quirky, original manner.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

viper37

Quote from: Savonarola on June 06, 2016, 12:44:21 PM
Ant Man (2015)

So if Ant Man's mass remains the same when he shrinks, why doesn't he crush the ants as he sits on them?  :unsure:

;)
Google to the rescue!
He doesn't have the same mass, this is never mentioned. He just have the strength of the normal size (somewhere mentioned as superhuman strength).
Although its a bit of a paradox that the shrinking is done by reducing the distance between the atoms, which would mean he consists of the same amount of atoms which would mean he should have the same mass. This is actually not explained. But taking into consideration that he can actually go quantum level it might mean that the atoms become somehow smaller which might mean that the mass is reduced proportionally.

See?  Perfectly logical explanation to everything! 
:P
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Savonarola

Quote from: viper37 on June 07, 2016, 09:37:47 AM
Quote from: Savonarola on June 06, 2016, 12:44:21 PM
Ant Man (2015)

;)
Google to the rescue!
He doesn't have the same mass, this is never mentioned. He just have the strength of the normal size (somewhere mentioned as superhuman strength).
Although its a bit of a paradox that the shrinking is done by reducing the distance between the atoms, which would mean he consists of the same amount of atoms which would mean he should have the same mass. This is actually not explained. But taking into consideration that he can actually go quantum level it might mean that the atoms become somehow smaller which might mean that the mass is reduced proportionally.

See?  Perfectly logical explanation to everything! 
:P

:lol:

I hope someone got a no-prize for that.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Savonarola

The Dirty Dozen (1967)

No wonder World War II lasted so long if all of our enlisted men were in their 40s.

;)

This was actually a controversial film when it was released, given that it shows American GIs committing war crimes and killing women.  Today it's pretty tame, especially considering all the curse words were replaced by "Lover".  It's still a great action film with a great cast.