News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

Were changes made to The Sopranos after it initially aired?  I could swear when I first saw it the FBI hottie was played by a brunette with a honkin' NYC accent.

Tonitrus

You're probably not wrong.  A quick look around google shows that they replaced the actress and reshot all of the original's scenes for DVD/later releases.

Josquius

Quote from: celedhring on June 04, 2016, 03:30:46 PM
I like weird sci-fi mindfucks, but I couldn't see the point in any of the parallel stories, I thought they were uninteresting. Couple that with the fact that the Wachowskis aren't the most subtle filmmakers out there...

Was just wondering if the unfolding mystery was worth sticking with the show.

It is a bit overblown. Thinks too much of itself.  Dodgy pacing.
But it picks up as it goes on. It is enjoyable.
██████
██████
██████

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Tonitrus on June 05, 2016, 04:56:58 PM
You're probably not wrong.  A quick look around google shows that they replaced the actress and reshot all of the original's scenes for DVD/later releases.

Why in the world would they do that I wonder.

Tonitrus

Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 05, 2016, 05:59:47 PM

This is the only gossip I could find on it...

https://www.reddit.com/r/thesopranos/comments/3fvugn/fairuza_balk_scenes/

Admiral Yi

That makes sense I guess.

Capetan Mihali

I got a recommendation to watch "The Knick," a TV show about the Knickerbocker Hospital in NY circa 1900.  Anybody seen it?  I've got a few episodes at my disposal now, and might give it a go tonight.
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

Josephus

:banned:Which one?
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Josephus

Quote from: Capetan Mihali on June 05, 2016, 06:43:01 PM
I got a recommendation to watch "The Knick," a TV show about the Knickerbocker Hospital in NY circa 1900.  Anybody seen it?  I've got a few episodes at my disposal now, and might give it a go tonight.

Yeah...It's very good. A hospital show set, as you say, in 1900. Clive Owen is very good. Worthwhile
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Capetan Mihali on June 05, 2016, 06:43:01 PM

Yeah, it's worth watching.

Admiral Yi

Matt Damon made another Bourne.

Admiral Yi

Too many cliffhangers in Silicon Valley.  :mad:

celedhring

Quote from: Tonitrus on June 05, 2016, 06:11:53 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 05, 2016, 05:59:47 PM

This is the only gossip I could find on it...

https://www.reddit.com/r/thesopranos/comments/3fvugn/fairuza_balk_scenes/

Weird that they went all damnatio memoriae on Fairuza Balk,  though. Recasting characters isn't that rare and shows don't go to those extents to erase their tracks.

celedhring

Is The Knick gross? Otherwise I will take your recommendation and watch it. But I read the surgery scenes are pretty graphic (yeah I am squeamish like that)

CountDeMoney

Lol, if you're squeamish then, no, turn-of-the-century surgical practices may not be for you :lol:
But you would be doing yourself a disservice by skipping it.