And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

celedhring

Quote from: Josephus on March 10, 2016, 03:47:09 PM
Quote from: Tyr on March 10, 2016, 02:22:56 PM
The Martian- Not what I expected. Quite a light fun film. Given the subject matter I expected something much grittier and darker.

Didn't it win best comedy or somehting at some awards show?

Golden Globes, "best musical or comedy". I guess all that disco music helped.

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: Martinus on March 09, 2016, 04:07:08 PM

Early paganism was about the Earth. She was the life giver and the source of the mystery of life. The woman gave birth - and nobody knew why. She was divine!

Didn't the Druids worship the sun?

Well, anyway--the fire stick recommended a show called Poldark, made by the company that makes Downton and some other good PBS things.

It's about a guy who fights in the American Revolution and then comes home to Cornwall after the war to find his family's lands have been run into the ground, his dad is dead and his girlfriend is engaged to somebody else. He's inherited this dirt pile and has to get to work rebuilding the village and getting the mines up and running again, etc. Kinda like a Ken Follett type of thing.

By the third episode, it ceased to be that at all and became an insipid princess fantasy, more Disney/Nicholas Sparks/Stephenie Meyer and not much Follett at all. Total bait and switch. Not recommended.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Savonarola

Quote from: Tyr on March 10, 2016, 02:22:56 PM
The Martian- Not what I expected. Quite a light fun film. Given the subject matter I expected something much grittier and darker.

Yeah, I thought it was going to be way existential; like Solaris only deeper.  It turned out to be much better.  MATT DAMON! gives a believable portrait of an applied scientist in that he views everything as a problem to be solved; unfortunately they spell that out at the end, but beyond that I thought it was a good film.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

celedhring

Ghost Rider 2. Worse in every regard than the first one, that wasn't too brilliant to being with. Crappier SFX, crappier Cage acting, crappier action scenes, crappier hottie.

Why did I watch it? I don't know.

Eddie Teach

It had more Idris Elba, but not a good thing this time.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Razgovory

Quote from: crazy canuck on March 10, 2016, 11:28:45 AM
Quote from: Barrister on March 09, 2016, 12:04:59 PM
Quote from: Valmy on March 09, 2016, 09:41:07 AM
I really dislike those show's reliance on the supernatural bullshit. I mean Christianity did not win in the West because of its magical powers.

Disagree.  From Constantine's victory at the Milvian Bridge, to the miracles of saints and the worship of relics, the history of the Church was very much about "magical powers".

Sure, it adapted the mysticism of the existing mystery cults, but Valmy's point still holds - that is not why it became the dominant religion.

Can you demonstrate a direct line from mystery cults to christian religion?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Razgovory

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on March 10, 2016, 02:43:39 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on March 10, 2016, 12:12:01 AM
You know what should also evolve?  The study of comparative religions.  It's 2016 not 1906.

Yeah pretty confident the Egyptians understood impregnation long before the rise of the solar cults.

I've been trying to lay off Marty a bit recently, but he's not making it easy.  The Poland=backwards jokes are pretty natural when he keeps using books by Jung and Frazier.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

viper37

Quote from: Razgovory on March 10, 2016, 07:29:53 PM
Can you demonstrate a direct line from mystery cults to christian religion?
The look of Satan, closer to Cernunos than any depiction in the bible.
The Virgin Mary cult, inspired by the Goodess of Fertilities pagan cult.
The worship of saints, directly inspired by the need of people to pray to different gods.
Jesus, son of God, saviour of humankind is a recurring theme in paganism too, most notably Thor, Odinson, which the Romans likely encountered when they occupied part of germania.
The cult of one God, comes from Judaism, which comes from Zoroastrianism and Akhenatism as well as other pagan religions.

And lots of other things:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christianity_and_Paganism
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

lustindarkness

Latest Captain America Civil War trailer looks pretty darn good.
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

Razgovory

:lol: I meant something besides wild speculation.

Let's take your first example and analyse it.  The name Cernunnos is attested exactly once.  Of the deity (if it is a deity), we know nothing beyond that that his name appears in Roman Gaul with a picture of a bearded man with horns.  He is sometimes connected to other horned figures found in Northern European art, but there is no way to know if they are the same figure.  Often they look quite different.

Here is the earliest depiction of Satan in Christian art.

I think he's the guy on the right.

Now, we can't really connect "Cernunos" to anyone else.  Not in Gaul and certainly not in Italy or Greece.  We have no attestations of people saying that the images have been co-opted by one religion by another nor is there some gradual shift of iconography that we can track from one to another.  The traditional image of Satan did take on horns (and wings, and a tail and often multiple heads or faces), but by then this Cernunos fellow was long forgotten.  Not that horns are particularly rare religious imagery (they can be found Japanese demons, oni)  In fact, horns are described on demonic figures in the Bible contrary to what you say.

And I beheld another beast coming up out of the earth; and he had two horns like a lamb, and he spake as a dragon.

12 And he exerciseth all the power of the first beast before him, and causeth the earth and them which dwell therein to worship the first beast, whose deadly wound was healed.

13 And he doeth great wonders, so that he maketh fire come down from heaven on the earth in the sight of men,

14 And deceiveth them that dwell on the earth by the means of those miracles which he had power to do in the sight of the beast; saying to them that dwell on the earth, that they should make an image to the beast, which had the wound by a sword, and did live.

15 And he had power to give life unto the image of the beast, that the image of the beast should both speak, and cause that as many as would not worship the image of the beast should be killed.

So in short, what you said was Bullshit.

viper37

I forgot.  If it's not in the Bible, it's bullshit.  So sorry for bringing facts here :)

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Razgovory

Quote from: viper37 on March 10, 2016, 09:40:38 PM
I forgot.  If it's not in the Bible, it's bullshit.  So sorry for bringing facts here :)

If you say something is not in the bible, but I demonstrate that it is, how should I interpret that?

viper37

Quote from: Razgovory on March 10, 2016, 09:43:48 PM
Quote from: viper37 on March 10, 2016, 09:40:38 PM

If you say something is not in the bible, but I demonstrate that it is, how should I interpret that?
That depiction did not come until the middle ages.  The first texts about Satan did not described him as horned figure.
If you take a modern bible, of course it presents him with horns.  But of course, do not read anything I posted.

Celtic horned god, aka Cernunnos, but it has many names, depending on which region still worshipped such gods:

A popular depiction of Satan:

such images, the horned devil, appeared around and after the Fall of the Roman Empire.  Coincidence that hords of barbarians bringing with them their cult would find their gods depicted as demons?  Don't think so.

Martinus

I don't know why people discuss anything with Raz.  :huh:

viper37

Quote from: Martinus on March 11, 2016, 12:20:18 AM
I don't know why people discuss anything with Raz.  :huh:
Yeah, I'll let you do it, he's your friend.