News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

Generally all black cast movies don't become major mainstream fare, no? Despite Mr. Perry's best efforts.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Berkut on February 12, 2016, 09:08:47 AM
I am glad every passing comment I ever make isn't parsed by people looking to find something to be offended by...

If you said something that silly you can be sure Languish would be there for you  :D

The Brain

The movie where Dr. Michael J. Fox gets stuck in a small rural town is on TV. I think him being white was for the best, really.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Razgovory

Quote from: Martinus on February 12, 2016, 10:52:08 AM
Quote from: Berkut on February 12, 2016, 10:26:00 AM
Quote from: Ideologue on February 12, 2016, 10:06:34 AM
Quote from: Berkut on February 12, 2016, 09:08:47 AM
I am glad every passing comment I ever make isn't parsed by people looking to find something to be offended by...

It's a moronically tone-deaf thing for someone to say, even an old person, "when asked about the representation of minorities in the film industry."  It's an innocuous, maybe even praiseworthy, comment in some other context; but if her response to a question specifically about black representation in film was "We're all Africans!", thereby denigrating the problem in a ridiculous, frivolous manner, then that's not "parsed by people looking to find something to be offended by," it's patently offensive.

Of course it is, because you can come up with a way of being offended, hence it must be offensive.

Obviously she is a racist, and probably a secret Grand Dragon of the KKK.

This may sound somewhat politically incorrect, but isn't the obvious answer not that the film industry is racist but that it is painful and shamelessly pandering to its audiences? Outside of period drama and indie cinema etc., people are generally interested in watching stories of people like them, having similar experiences to them. Perhaps US whites are more likely to go to cinema, so the industry is making films about people who are like them?

I'm not sure if it's shameless but the vast majority of people in the US are white so the vast majority of American stories are going to involve white people.  Most of the talent is white.  I imagine that in China the majority of films involve Chinese people.  Hell, I image that a lot of the Polish films are made by Poles and have Polish actors!  I suspect there is a serious dearth of Polish films about Afro-Brazilian fisherman.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

dps

Quote from: garbon on February 12, 2016, 01:26:21 PM
Generally all black cast movies don't become major mainstream fare, no? Despite Mr. Perry's best efforts.

Pretty sure that I've posted this before, but my then-gf and I went to see The Preacher's Wife when it came out and we were the only white people in the theater.

celedhring

The Fast and Furious flicks have a very diverse cast and are very successful.

11B4V

Quote from: celedhring on February 12, 2016, 08:34:52 PM

:yes: just ask Seedy, the president of the Vin Diesel fan club.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Ideologue

They even wrote out the one white guy. :angry:
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Liep

Danish Eurovision is on and as per usual the production value has increased a bit and the song quality has decreased dramatically from last year.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

The Brain

Quote from: Ideologue on February 13, 2016, 08:07:14 AM

They even wrote out the one white guy. :angry:

:angry:
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Liep

Quote from: Liep on February 13, 2016, 02:39:18 PM
Danish Eurovision is on and as per usual the production value has increased a bit and the song quality has decreased dramatically from last year.

The liberals are complaining on twitter about a scene where the children take over the stage in black clothes and balaclavas and sing a song from the children's eurovision. Why? "It's too close to the 1 year-day for the Copenhagen attack to joke about terror" which is tomorrow.

:bleeding:
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Queequeg

Occupied, a squarehead drama about a Russian occupation of Norway, is the best drama I've seen in a while.  It's brilliant. 
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

celedhring

Crimson Peak. Dull and very predictable. The big mystery is pretty much obvious from the get-go and it's not like they do anything interesting with it.

Maladict

The third X-files episode is hilarious. I did not expect that.

Josquius

Quote from: Queequeg on February 13, 2016, 05:33:54 PM
Occupied, a squarehead drama about a Russian occupation of Norway, is the best drama I've seen in a while.  It's brilliant. 

Sounded cool so I read a synopsis. ..... the EU is the one who got Russia to invade Norway?
Err.....sounds like europhobic silliness
██████
██████
██████