Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

viper37

Quote from: katmai on February 08, 2016, 12:26:29 AM
E-mailing Netflix won't do shit viper :P
Ah, shit.  HBO Go support, I meant :P
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Maladict

La Grande Bellezza.

Great but mostly very very beautiful.

PRC

Quote from: Liep on February 07, 2016, 01:20:17 PM
Usually it's ctrl+shift+del

Are you sure you didn't mean Alt+F4?

viper37

no, it invokes the cleaning app of Firefox.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

PRC

Josephus

So all caught with Billions. I like it, a lot I think. I admit a lot of the investment mumbo jumbo goes over my head, wouldn't know a hedge fund from a shrubbery, but otherwise it's quite interesting. Last episode had a lot of interesting cameos. FBI guy from Americans, I think the opening act singer was the wife from Halt and Catch Fire...and of course Metallica.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Josephus on February 09, 2016, 09:12:01 AM
I think the opening act singer was the wife from Halt and Catch Fire...

That confused me when I caught her name at the end(Kerry Bishe) because I had convinced myself that was the name of the actress that plays Cameron.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Brazen

New X Files premièred on UK TV last night. Distinctly underwhelmed, not least because the alien conspiracy story arc was my least favourite element of the originality.

celedhring

Liep

The Martian

Quite funny but somehow it feels very cheap.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Liep

The Canadian Netflix is almost too good.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Barrister

Quote from: celedhring on February 09, 2016, 03:28:09 PM
New Star Trek series showrunner announced. Good pick, I say.

http://www.ew.com/article/2016/02/09/star-trek-bryan-fuller

Some interesting comments.  It sounds like he wants it to take place in the JJ-verse, but in a TNG sort of time period, and he talks about not using Enterprise but rather some other ship (he mentions Reliant).

Another ship is an excellent idea.  There's nothing magical about the USS Enterprise.

Taking place in the JJ-verse... it's problematic because  A: CBS doesn't own the rights to the movie series.  Viacom does.  And apparently there's some acrimony there (despite the common ownership).  And B: the reboot movies have already fallen into a kind of recursive loop - repeating the old stories.  Whatever the new series is, it needs to tell new stories with new characters.  I'd prfer to keep it to the original timeline.

He mentions Angela Bassett and Rosario Dawson.  I think he means more "people like", rather than the actresses themselves.  Bassett herself is almost certainly too old, and Dawson is probably too big a name for a tv show that is going to be on a streaming-service not named Netflix.  But as for "strong women of colour" in leadership roles?  Bring it on.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

dps

Quote from: Barrister on February 09, 2016, 04:41:07 PM
Quote from: celedhring on February 09, 2016, 03:28:09 PM
New Star Trek series showrunner announced. Good pick, I say.

http://www.ew.com/article/2016/02/09/star-trek-bryan-fuller

Some interesting comments.  It sounds like he wants it to take place in the JJ-verse, but in a TNG sort of time period, and he talks about not using Enterprise but rather some other ship (he mentions Reliant).

Another ship is an excellent idea.  There's nothing magical about the USS Enterprise.

Taking place in the JJ-verse... it's problematic because  A: CBS doesn't own the rights to the movie series.  Viacom does.  And apparently there's some acrimony there (despite the common ownership).  And B: the reboot movies have already fallen into a kind of recursive loop - repeating the old stories.  Whatever the new series is, it needs to tell new stories with new characters.  I'd prfer to keep it to the original timeline.

He mentions Angela Bassett and Rosario Dawson.  I think he means more "people like", rather than the actresses themselves.  Bassett herself is almost certainly too old, and Dawson is probably too big a name for a tv show that is going to be on a streaming-service not named Netflix.  But as for "strong women of colour" in leadership roles?  Bring it on.

Those comments (as I read the stuff in the link) are from several years ago, so things may have evolved quite a bit since then.  Hopefully it'll be set in the old TV continuity and not in the reboot continuity.  Other than that, I see no problem with any of his comments.

Barrister

You know, I'm looking at Rosario Dawson's wiki page, and most of the stuff she's doing now is voice work or direct to video.  Plus, she apparently is a big Trekkie and there's a clip of her speaking Klingon from the Conan show.

:hmm:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Josquius

I'm not sure where I'd stand on a ds9 era sequel.
On the one hand...yes. I liked that show and would be interested in the story continuing.
On the other hand. ....it's just so..... trekkie isn't it. Rather lame.  And most of where the universe seems to be going.....it seems to be a end of history sort of direction.  Good for a mini series but not a show that lasts for years
██████
██████
██████