News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Liep

"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

KRonn

Quote from: Syt on December 16, 2015, 03:30:16 AM
Quote from: Duque de Bragança on December 16, 2015, 03:06:23 AM
Disney-enforced movie review black-out is over for the new Star Wars. Less than 30 minutes before the first screening, a real matinée, at 09.30.  :frog:
The marketing storm will now recede a bit. :)

Yeah, I noticed. Unfortunately, some news outlets don't put up spoiler warnings, so it'll be a no internet news day for me till midnight.

I read a Star Wars story that I figured didn't have any plot info, but was wrong. Good thing though that it didn't tell a lot or anything that'll tarnish the story for me.

KRonn

Baron von Schtinkenbutt

katmai

Think I might catch a 2nd screening in non IMAX 3D over weekend. Oh and local theater has marathon of all six films starting at 4:00am thursday morning.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Duque de Bragança

Surprised there was not a marathon in these parts. Though Ep. 1,2 & 3 do not seem compulsory ahem. The others, despite the "special" edits I could rewatch, specially Empire Strikes Back.

Syt

I played a bit of Star Wars: Empire at War after quite some time, and realized the Imperial interface voice and stormtroopers are voiced by Steve Blum - who voices non-named Imperial officers and Stormtroopers on Star Wars Rebels. :lol:

(And Zeb for who he breaks out the Oghren voice, quite fittingly.)
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

viper37

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on December 16, 2015, 01:35:44 PM
Surprised there was not a marathon in these parts. Though Ep. 1,2 & 3 do not seem compulsory ahem. The others, despite the "special" edits I could rewatch, specially Empire Strikes Back.
I like the redone special effects, but some of these edits were totally moronic, like Jabba the Hutt in #1 and "Nooo" for Darth Vader in 6.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Syt

I've been thinking about the differences between Originals and Prequels the other day. Lucas was influenced by watching Kurosawa movies, and was impressed by how well the story could be followed, even though the culture was alien to him. And he intended to be the original Star Wars to be a similar experience - limited exposition about the how and why something was the way it was, and focusing on audio-visual cues. I seem to recall that he wanted to make a movie that could ideally be understood without knowing English. The result was an intriguing world with a simple but engaging story that drew people in and left them wanting for more.

Move on to Ep. 1 - 3: they are so ridiculously exposition heavy, with political machinations, trade disputes, legislation, midi-chlorians ... where the original trilogy had its magic moments - dead Ben guiding Luke, Vader choking Motti, the use of the Force by Luke on Hoth and Yoda's demonstration on Dagobah, Vader chocking Ozzel, their duel, Dagobah in RotJ, the Emperor's lightning attacks ... the prequels are very much devoid of those.

The quiet scenes in the original trilogy are integral part of the movies. I still like watching the prequels - but it's almost exclusively to get a glimpse at the worlds, and for the action scenes, not for the quiet moments which are often completely cringeworthy.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Malthus

Quote from: Syt on December 16, 2015, 02:00:15 PM
I've been thinking about the differences between Originals and Prequels the other day. Lucas was influenced by watching Kurosawa movies, and was impressed by how well the story could be followed, even though the culture was alien to him. And he intended to be the original Star Wars to be a similar experience - limited exposition about the how and why something was the way it was, and focusing on audio-visual cues. I seem to recall that he wanted to make a movie that could ideally be understood without knowing English. The result was an intriguing world with a simple but engaging story that drew people in and left them wanting for more.

Move on to Ep. 1 - 3: they are so ridiculously exposition heavy, with political machinations, trade disputes, legislation, midi-chlorians ... where the original trilogy had its magic moments - dead Ben guiding Luke, Vader choking Motti, the use of the Force by Luke on Hoth and Yoda's demonstration on Dagobah, Vader chocking Ozzel, their duel, Dagobah in RotJ, the Emperor's lightning attacks ... the prequels are very much devoid of those.

The quiet scenes in the original trilogy are integral part of the movies. I still like watching the prequels - but it's almost exclusively to get a glimpse at the worlds, and for the action scenes, not for the quiet moments which are often completely cringeworthy.

The sand - it gets everywhere.  :wub:
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

celedhring

I always like to compare the horrible, ridiculous and laughable "love scenes" between Padmé and Anakin with this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VU3vYa_mBDQ

So simple, yet it works so well.

Valmy

Yeah it is a fantastic scene.

QuoteThe sand - it gets everywhere.

Such a groaner.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Baron von Schtinkenbutt

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on December 16, 2015, 01:35:44 PM

I recently bought a box set of the original VHS tapes to get the real originals.

Duque de Bragança

Well, I am not that desperate since I know someone who has the DVDs with some old laserdisc masters recycled and badly transferred on DVD (not anamorphically enhanced), offered by Lucas as a bonus.
These DVDs are expensive now on the second hand market. The best laserdisc editions are still expensive as well.

Enjoy watching VHS tapes on a huge flat-screen. :)

Syt

I would be surprised if Disney wasn't working on a bluray release of the original theatrical versions (yeah, I know, Lucas supposedly destroyed the originals). They must know there's a lot of money in it for them.
—Stephen Jay Gould