News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Berkut

Yeah, I know it isn't official. Supposedly there was a fan re-edit of 1-2-3 that turned it into a 3 hour movie with a lot of terrible removed that told the story pretty well, or something like that.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

celedhring

Quote from: Liep on December 10, 2015, 11:12:38 AM
Quote from: Barrister on December 10, 2015, 11:06:01 AM
You don't like the original trilogy? :wacko:

I love the original trilogy and have watched them numerous times, I just find them a bit too slow today.

You could maybe say that for A New Hope (it pioneered a lot of stuff that others refined, including later films in the trilogy), but I think V and VI are pretty damn tight. There's so many things being advanced in every scene... I rewatched V the other day and it's so damn well plotted.

Liep

Quote from: celedhring on December 10, 2015, 01:25:24 PM
Quote from: Liep on December 10, 2015, 11:12:38 AM
Quote from: Barrister on December 10, 2015, 11:06:01 AM
You don't like the original trilogy? :wacko:

I love the original trilogy and have watched them numerous times, I just find them a bit too slow today.

You could maybe say that for A New Hope (it pioneered a lot of stuff that others refined, including later films in the trilogy), but I think V and VI are pretty damn tight. There's so many things being advanced in every scene... I rewatched V the other day and it's so damn well plotted.

I didn't get further than IV when I tried to rewatch them last month :P
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: Berkut on December 10, 2015, 11:38:59 AM
Yeah, I know it isn't official. Supposedly there was a fan re-edit of 1-2-3 that turned it into a 3 hour movie with a lot of terrible removed that told the story pretty well, or something like that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LhJA7I_8-14

There's also some secret one that Topher Grace made, but I've never seen that.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Sophie Scholl

4 -> 5 -> 2 -> 3 -> 6  Follow Luke's adventures.  Find out Darth is his father.  Find out how Anakin became Darth.  See Luke fight the same inner battle and triumph as well as Anakin/Darth be redeemed.
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

Admiral Yi

6 5 4 3 2 1.  Lose yourself in space/time.

Darth Wagtaros

Where does the Holiday Special factor into that?
PDH!

Barrister

Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

mongers

Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 10, 2015, 05:29:18 PM

How did you get my old phone number.  :mad:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Josephus

Quote from: mongers on December 10, 2015, 05:59:13 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 10, 2015, 05:29:18 PM

How did you get my old phone number.  :mad:

Happens to be my password to my bank account.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Josephus

I see one of my favourite books from my teen years, Childhood's End, by Arthur C. Clarke, is coming to TV in a 3 part special. Kind of excited except trailers make it look rather V-ish
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Tonitrus

"Fury"

Ridiculously gratuitous.

It's like they just tried to compile every bleak vignette from every war film in the book and roll it into one.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Tonitrus on December 11, 2015, 01:34:28 AM
"Fury"

Ridiculously gratuitous.

It's like they just tried to compile every bleak vignette from every war film in the book and roll it into one.

I've watched it a few times now and I think it's a cracker jack movie right up until the SS lambs to the slaughter scene.

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Sophie Scholl

Quote from: celedhring on December 09, 2015, 05:10:06 AM
Quote from: Benedict Arnold on December 09, 2015, 03:45:02 AM
Quote from: Malthus on December 08, 2015, 05:55:15 PM
Quote from: Benedict Arnold on December 08, 2015, 05:32:42 PM
I gave Turn a shot, back before it got the secondary title.  I wanted to like it, but... no.  It was just too one sided for my tastes.  It also randomly changed interesting historical facts to fiction for no logical reason.  If it helps get people interested in the Revolutionary War, then I support it, but I won't be watching it.

Awesome username/post combo.  :D

Yeah, it is pretty one-sided at the start (it gets less so as it goes, though). Certainly it was highly fictionalized. That did not, I think, make it unwatchable - I still enjoyed it. It is I think too much to expect of Americans that they make a series on the Revolutionary War that really gives the Loyalists a fair shake.  :D
I do what I can. :lol:  I'd love to see a series based on my neck of the woods/job/area of some expertise:  The Mohawk Valley during the Revolutionary War era.  You have such interesting personalities, constant action, and an incredibly grey and murky sense of right and wrong there.  It would make for amazing television, especially if they stuck to historical fact.

A friend of mine pitched just that to HBO 4-5 years ago, sadly they didn't pick it up.
If he ever pitches it again, I'm totally in for being a historical consultant! :thumbsup:
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."