News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MadImmortalMan

I'm starting over with Man in the High Castle.

There is a scene where the girl goes into a Chinese store in San Francisco. I've been in that exact store. It's across the street from the park where all the old people go to play checkers. Kearney and..umm Washington street. Where the Chinese Cultural Center is. There's a good Vietnamese restaurant next door. That store has a whole wall of medicines with no English writing on the box, and I'm pretty certain you can get stuff there that isn't strictly legal to sell in the US.  :P
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Malthus

Quote from: viper37 on December 09, 2015, 03:07:35 PM
Quote from: KRonn on December 09, 2015, 02:18:09 PM
Well then, apparently the show's 'historical documents' are showing the real story of Simcoe.  Not the heroic and watered down Canuckian version.  ;)   Seriously though, on the show he is an entertaining villain, quite nasty. The actor does a great job. Or maybe they should have given him another name rather than confuse him with a real person. I figured many of the minor characters were fake names but based on some real venues like the spy processes on both sides.

Speaking of 'historical documents', I saw Galaxy Quest recently. That's a great show!   :D
it would have been problematic given he takes command of the Roger's Rangers.

I'll be thinking of 'Evil Simcoe' this weekend, while I drive up to the cottage - in Simcoe County.  ;)
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

KRonn

Quote from: Malthus on December 10, 2015, 09:12:53 AM
Quote from: viper37 on December 09, 2015, 03:07:35 PM
Quote from: KRonn on December 09, 2015, 02:18:09 PM
Well then, apparently the show's 'historical documents' are showing the real story of Simcoe.  Not the heroic and watered down Canuckian version.  ;)   Seriously though, on the show he is an entertaining villain, quite nasty. The actor does a great job. Or maybe they should have given him another name rather than confuse him with a real person. I figured many of the minor characters were fake names but based on some real venues like the spy processes on both sides.

Speaking of 'historical documents', I saw Galaxy Quest recently. That's a great show!   :D
it would have been problematic given he takes command of the Roger's Rangers.

I'll be thinking of 'Evil Simcoe' this weekend, while I drive up to the cottage - in Simcoe County.  ;)

Watch out for any of those Queen's Rangers, hiding out in the wilds, who don't know the war is over....   ;)

lustindarkness

Should I re-watch the Star Wars movies? If so, in what order?
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

Barrister

Quote from: lustindarkness on December 10, 2015, 10:39:20 AM
Should I re-watch the Star Wars movies?

The answer to that question is always yes.

If so, in what order?

4-5-6

Then, only if you're bored,

1-2-3
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Liep

Quote from: Barrister on December 10, 2015, 10:44:02 AM

If so, in what order?

4-5-6

1-2-3

I tried and I have to say no. At the very least stay way clear of 1-2-3.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Syt

1-2-Clone Wars Show-3-Star Wars Rebels-4-5-6
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Valmy

Quote from: Syt on December 10, 2015, 10:50:44 AM
1-2-Clone Wars Show-3-Star Wars Rebels-4-5-6

Geez man he is trying to get ready for the new movie not induce suicide.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Syt

I keep my expectations for Ep. VII low. I expect a half-way decent action flick with interesting visuals (i.e. the par set by Abrams' two Star Trek movies). If it goes beyond that, I will be pleasantly surprised.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Barrister

Quote from: Liep on December 10, 2015, 10:47:19 AM
Quote from: Barrister on December 10, 2015, 10:44:02 AM

If so, in what order?

4-5-6

1-2-3

I tried and I have to say no. At the very least stay way clear of 1-2-3.

You don't like the original trilogy? :wacko:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

lustindarkness

The reason is I can't remember which movies I had my daughter watch before. I am leaning towards: IV, V and VI, and if we have time the prequels, but not sure on that.

BTW, I read an article that recommends watching: IV, II, III, V and VI.
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

Liep

Quote from: Barrister on December 10, 2015, 11:06:01 AM
You don't like the original trilogy? :wacko:

I love the original trilogy and have watched them numerous times, I just find them a bit too slow today.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

viper37

Should I re-watch the Star Wars movies? If so, in what order?
4-5-6-1-2-3.

You need to watch them all, even if 1-2-3 aren't that good.
4-1-2-3-5-6 will work too.  Although there's a "major spoiler" in #3, by that time, everyone knew it :P
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Berkut

Does anyone have a link to the rumored re-edit of 1-2-3 to make them a bit more watchable?
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

viper37

Quote from: Berkut on December 10, 2015, 11:33:00 AM
Does anyone have a link to the rumored re-edit of 1-2-3 to make them a bit more watchable?
there is no official re-edit.  #1 was re-edited by fans to cut all Jar Jar Binks content.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.