News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

celedhring

Me and my friends are fast-forwarding our Imperial Assault campaign so we finish it before the movie, lest we get so pissed off by it that we quit playing the game out of disgust.

The second reviewer misses the point a bit though, while I don't expect the new films to do anything really unexpected or original, Lucas films are actually very planned and calculated. A bit too much, even.

Liep

Quote from: garbon on December 01, 2015, 05:47:50 AM
I like what Joel Golby has to say. :lol:

Good stuff, it's basically what I fear, that it'll just be like any other Transformers/Avengers CGI fest.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

celedhring

Quote from: Liep on December 01, 2015, 05:54:04 AM

Good stuff, it's basically what I fear, that it'll just be like any other Transformers/Avengers CGI fest.

My fear is that the film becomes a retread of the first one.

1. Evil faction develops a superweapon to win galactic war
2. Some droid/black dude escapes from the clutches of this evil faction to tell the tale
3. Unlikely hero in desert planet finds droid/black dude
4. Unlikely hero in desert planet finds an aging hero of a past war that sets him/her on the path of becoming a hero.
5. Evil faction mobilizes dude in black armor, lightsaber, and vocal distorter to thwart attempts to disable said superweapon.

etc...

Syt

Quote from: celedhring on December 01, 2015, 05:50:41 AM
Me and my friends are fast-forwarding our Imperial Assault campaign so we finish it before the movie, lest we get so pissed off by it that we quit playing the game out of disgust.

The second reviewer misses the point a bit though, while I don't expect the new films to do anything really unexpected or original, Lucas films are actually very planned and calculated. A bit too much, even.

That, yes. But when let loose he comes up with some silly shit and sticks with it instead of wondering how it will do with focus groups. Now, that can be incredibly hit and miss, of course, as we've seen with the prequels.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Valmy

Quote from: celedhring on December 01, 2015, 05:59:34 AM
Quote from: Liep on December 01, 2015, 05:54:04 AM

My fear is that the film becomes a retread of the first one.

1. Evil faction develops a superweapon to win galactic war
2. Some droid/black dude escapes from the clutches of this evil faction to tell the tale
3. Unlikely hero in desert planet finds droid/black dude
4. Unlikely hero in desert planet finds an aging hero of a past war that sets him/her on the path of becoming a hero.
5. Evil faction mobilizes dude in black armor, lightsaber, and vocal distorter to thwart attempts to disable said superweapon.

etc...

You chances of being disappointed are only about 99.999% based on what we have seen so far. Abrams already made a shitty Wrath of Khan so I guess now he is going to make a shitty A New Hope.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Syt

Well, I think it may be a different this time, because Abrams confessed he had never watched Star Trek before signing for the movies, while he's a huge Star Wars fanboy.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

celedhring

Sneak peek at the Bats vs Supes film. Introducing trench coat Batman: now even grittier!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6as8ahAr1Uc

Syt

Quote from: celedhring on December 01, 2015, 01:16:51 PM
Sneak peek at the Bats vs Supes film. Introducing trench coat Batman: now even grittier!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6as8ahAr1Uc

The most impressive thing about this trailer is that Batfleck has black paint around his eyes when he's wearing the mask, but it immediately disappears when the mask is removed. Special Bat-Mascara?
—Stephen Jay Gould

KRonn

I watched the pilot of   The Expanse on SyFi channel. It's about Earth in the 23rd century. Humans have colonized Mars and other places. There are colonies and mining in the asteroid belt which are used to provide resources for the outlying colonies. Much tension between the colonies as some are looking for independence from Earth. Looks pretty interesting so far.

Syt

—Stephen Jay Gould

crazy canuck

Quote from: KRonn on December 01, 2015, 02:04:38 PM
I watched the pilot of   The Expanse on SyFi channel. It's about Earth in the 23rd century. Humans have colonized Mars and other places. There are colonies and mining in the asteroid belt which are used to provide resources for the outlying colonies. Much tension between the colonies as some are looking for independence from Earth. Looks pretty interesting so far.

Must have been American colonists.  :P

KRonn

Don't tread on Mars!!   :menace:

Razgovory

I always wondered why someone would  migrate to Mars.  Is there a lot good soil for growing things?  Things to mine.  It seems like it would be like living in Antarctica except with out the luxuries of air and water.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Razgovory

Quote from: Tyr on December 01, 2015, 02:37:55 AM
No. As per usual you need to do your research.
The nazis power base was heavily built on slightly less insane conservatives.  Huge amount of Christians amongst their number and some pretty tight relations with churches.

So they weren't already suppressing churches?  That was all imaginary?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

The Brain

Quote from: Razgovory on December 01, 2015, 03:06:54 PM
I always wondered why someone would  migrate to Mars.

Raz, meet Languish.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.