TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Brain

Jurassic World. It met specs I think.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

FunkMonk

Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 28, 2015, 04:23:56 PM
Watched a bit of The Exorcist last night.  Last three or so viewings it has not freaked me out like it used to.  I used to not be able to watch it by myself late at night.

Pleasant nostalgia trip seeing the GU campus and environs.

Whenever I had out of town visitors to DC, I always took them to see the Exorcist stairs and the Exorcist house.  Do other people do this too, either when visiting DC or showing people around?

When I first moved here I went to The Tombs with some friends and they showed me the stairs. So yeah.
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

11B4V

Watched some oldies last night;

Zulu Dawn
The Wind and the Lion
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

celedhring

Mad Max: Fury Road ends up #3rd on Sight and Sound's "best of the year" list, which is a benchmark for snotty film critics.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: celedhring on November 29, 2015, 05:00:02 AM
Mad Max: Fury Road ends up #3rd on Sight and Sound's "best of the year" list, which is a benchmark for snotty film critics.

I hope it wins best picture.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Josephus

Finally got around to watching Fury. Thought it was pretty good.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

FunkMonk

Saw Bridge of Spies. Really good. I still like Spielberg.

Also, Mark Rylance needs an Oscar nom.
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Josquius

Jessic Jones Continues to amaze.

Man in the high castle..... not quite grabbing the same way despite all the elements being there.
It's a fantasy world. Of course it's not a viable alternate history.  But some things bother me. Like bibles being illegal. Just....wtf? That doesn't fit in with the nazis at all. It makes sense within their ideology that they could develop in an anti christian directon but it's hard to see them managing to get so far....
██████
██████
██████

Razgovory

Quote from: Tyr on November 29, 2015, 03:57:23 PM

Man in the high castle..... not quite grabbing the same way despite all the elements being there.
It's a fantasy world. Of course it's not a viable alternate history.  But some things bother me. Like bibles being illegal. Just....wtf? That doesn't fit in with the nazis at all. It makes sense within their ideology that they could develop in an anti christian directon but it's hard to see them managing to get so far....

You need to bone up on Nazi ideology.  Particularly the works of the chief Nazi theorist Alfred Rosenberg.  I always thought he had a strange name for a Nazi.  In the US someone named "Alfred Rosenberg" would have been identified as a Jew.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Liep

Quote from: Razgovory on November 29, 2015, 04:16:33 PM

You need to bone up on Nazi ideology.  Particularly the works of the chief Nazi theorist Alfred Rosenberg.  I always thought he had a strange name for a Nazi.  In the US someone named "Alfred Rosenberg" would have been identified as a Jew.

It's a very Swedish sounding name to me.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

garbon

I'm still not sure if I like it. It is growing on me but I wouldn't have watched more than episode 1 if it hadn't had such good word of mouth.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

viper37

Same here.  It's funny at times, but I don't see what everyone is seeing in that.  Felt the same about Daredevil too.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Josquius

Daredevil certainly I felt to be rather crappy and mediocre after a few episodes. It took time to grow.
Jessica Jones though.... I don't know. I guess because I was expecting so little (a detective show that happens to be marvel )  even from the first episode I rather liked it.
The villain makes it.
██████
██████
██████

Josquius

Quote from: Razgovory on November 29, 2015, 04:16:33 PM

Read what I said.
It makes sense ideologically things could go that way.
Though given their relationship with Christianity and that the series is set only 20 years down an alternate path it is difficult to see that completely flipping so quickly.
██████
██████
██████

viper37

Battlestar Galactica, a decade after 33

It dates from January, that's why they say "a decade from BSG's pilot" (excluding the mini-series).

I miss such good sci-fi :(
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.