News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

Watched the latest episode of Star Wars Rebels (which was mediocre) and thought, "That female bounty hunter sounds a lot like Zoe from Firefly!" Turns out it's indeed Gina Torres. :lol:

I may have watched Firefly a few times. -_-
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: viper37 on November 24, 2015, 12:56:33 PM
Quote from: Peter Wiggin on November 23, 2015, 01:37:11 PM
Re: Badlands. It's some kind of post-apocalyptic setting. I'm willing to forgive the stupid premise that a ban on guns is enforceable by men with swords for the sake of the cool fight scenes. But I wasn't wowed by any of the story elements, either.
oh? there's a story?
:P

I like it a little more after episode 2. It's no Walking Dead, but neither was Walking Dead at this point.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Barrister

Quote from: Razgovory on November 24, 2015, 01:33:36 PM
Quote from: Tonitrus on November 24, 2015, 01:57:06 AM
Quote from: Razgovory on November 24, 2015, 12:37:57 AM
Okay, finished the Man in the High Castle.  Major weakness is that three "main characters" who part of a love triangle are not very interesting, and the gal is particularly dimwitted.  The first half of the episodes drag a little bit, and a lot of the plot doesn't go anywhere.  It really picks up toward the end.

That pretty much agrees with my analysis...I thought the "villains" were the most interesting characters (and superior actors)...including Tagomi.  The "heroes" were pretty dull...and completely agree on the girl.

Most interesting character was Japanese secret police man.  On the rare occasions we see actual members of the resistance they are interesting.  Juliana is the least interesting, and least sympathetic character.  And this is a show with Hitler in it.

:D
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Malthus

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on November 23, 2015, 01:37:11 PM
I'm willing to forgive the stupid premise that a ban on guns is enforceable by men with swords for the sake of the cool fight scenes.

Hey, it worked for the Japanese.  ;)
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Eddie Teach

Some Japanese police carry guns, and of course the army has them too.

Malthus

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on November 24, 2015, 02:03:50 PM

I meant the Tokugawa-era gun control - not present day.  ;) The Tokugawa Shogunate won the wars of the 16th-17th centuries with armies armed largely with guns - then deliberately got rid of them and had them mostly outlawed (except for a small number of hunting pieces) - and reintroduced the samurai sword as the main weapon (commoners were also forbidden swords).  In short, men wielding swords enforced gun a gun ban ... :D but as far as I know, that is the only case.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Valmy

Quote from: Syt on November 24, 2015, 01:34:12 PM
Watched the latest episode of Star Wars Rebels (which was mediocre) and thought, "That female bounty hunter sounds a lot like Zoe from Firefly!" Turns out it's indeed Gina Torres. :lol:

My kids find it uninteresting for some reason. Must be too complex for a five and three year old to understand.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Eddie Teach

Well, that primarily worked because the Japanese didn't know how to manufacture the guns. Also, muskets and arquebuses weren't quite as dominant as modern firearms.

Syt

Quote from: Valmy on November 24, 2015, 02:42:19 PM
Quote from: Syt on November 24, 2015, 01:34:12 PM

My kids find it uninteresting for some reason. Must be too complex for a five and three year old to understand.

I wouldn't recommend Firefly to preschoolers, no. :P

Yeah, I think Rebels is great for 8-10 and up.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Darth Wagtaros

I'll really, really, miss Gravity Falls.
PDH!

Valmy

Quote from: Malthus on November 24, 2015, 02:12:56 PM
Quote from: Peter Wiggin on November 24, 2015, 02:03:50 PM

I meant the Tokugawa-era gun control - not present day.  ;) The Tokugawa Shogunate won the wars of the 16th-17th centuries with armies armed largely with guns - then deliberately got rid of them and had them mostly outlawed (except for a small number of hunting pieces) - and reintroduced the samurai sword as the main weapon (commoners were also forbidden swords).  In short, men wielding swords enforced gun a gun ban ... :D but as far as I know, that is the only case.

Well that was hardly the only thing that was banned. That was a pretty hardcore cultural cleansing that went on.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Malthus

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on November 24, 2015, 02:42:54 PM
Well, that primarily worked because the Japanese didn't know how to manufacture the guns. Also, muskets and arquebuses weren't quite as dominant as modern firearms.

The first part isn't true - the Japanese were making indigenous guns on a large scale within a few years of their introduction by Europeans (and in fact a small local gun-making industry making 'luxury' sports guns for aristocrats continued even after the Tokugawa shut down widespread ownership of guns). Also, it was obvious to the Japanese guns - even the primitive guns of the day - were superior for winning battles - that's why each side armed themselves with them in the "warring states" period.

Needless to say, as far as mano-a-mano dueling goes, a sword is more likely to beat an arquebus than a Glock.  ;)

Valmy

Quote from: Malthus on November 24, 2015, 04:11:39 PM
Also, it was obvious to the Japanese guns - even the primitive guns of the day - were superior for winning battles - that's why each side armed themselves with them in the "warring states" period.

Exactly why the Shogunate didn't want everybody stockpiling those things.

No second amendment in Japan

Josephus

Speaking of Star Wars....there's a chrome extension that will block Star Wars spoilers

http://www.avclub.com/article/new-chrome-extension-will-block-those-pesky-star-w-228903

Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Tonitrus

Quote from: Barrister on November 24, 2015, 01:57:26 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on November 24, 2015, 01:33:36 PM
Quote from: Tonitrus on November 24, 2015, 01:57:06 AM
Quote from: Razgovory on November 24, 2015, 12:37:57 AM
Okay, finished the Man in the High Castle.  Major weakness is that three "main characters" who part of a love triangle are not very interesting, and the gal is particularly dimwitted.  The first half of the episodes drag a little bit, and a lot of the plot doesn't go anywhere.  It really picks up toward the end.

That pretty much agrees with my analysis...I thought the "villains" were the most interesting characters (and superior actors)...including Tagomi.  The "heroes" were pretty dull...and completely agree on the girl.

Most interesting character was Japanese secret police man.  On the rare occasions we see actual members of the resistance they are interesting.  Juliana is the least interesting, and least sympathetic character.  And this is a show with Hitler in it.

:D

It's funny, because Hitler... [spoiler]is actually portrayed as being somewhat reasonable...and implies that a potential Heydrich or Goebbels succession would be far worse...i.e. nuclear war.[/spoiler]