News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tonitrus

Quote from: Razgovory on November 24, 2015, 12:37:57 AM
Okay, finished the Man in the High Castle.  Major weakness is that three "main characters" who part of a love triangle are not very interesting, and the gal is particularly dimwitted.  The first half of the episodes drag a little bit, and a lot of the plot doesn't go anywhere.  It really picks up toward the end.

That pretty much agrees with my analysis...I thought the "villains" were the most interesting characters (and superior actors)...including Tagomi.  The "heroes" were pretty dull...and completely agree on the girl.

jimmy olsen

I thought of Sav as soon as I saw this. I wonder how many of these movies he's seen?  :hmm:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M1F0lBnsnkE
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Pedrito

Quote from: Barrister on November 23, 2015, 01:31:08 PM
The prequels are not as good as the original trilogy.  I think few will argue that point.  But in part that's because the original trilogy are really, really good.  And unfortunately a lot of modern action blockbusters are really, really bad.

Are the prequels better than, say, the Transformers movies?  I would say so.  Better than Jurassic World?  I think so.  Better than Man of Steel?  Yup.  And they're probably on par in terms of interesting visuals but nonsensical plotlines with the Star Trek reboot movies.

Deciding whether or not to watch the prequels will depend on your response to the original movies.  If you loved them then the notion of seeing some more of the same, though not as good, is still compelling.  If you were neutral on the originals then by all means skip them.

Disagree.

Episode One is fantastically bad, Ed Wood-like bad, "even the seven years olds don't like it" bad; there's nothing redeeming in it, from the performance of the actors to the bad CGI, to the totally uniniteresting plot.

L.
b / h = h / b+h

27 Zoupa Points, redeemable at the nearest liquor store! :woot:

celedhring

Quote from: Pedrito on November 24, 2015, 03:09:21 AM
Quote from: Barrister on November 23, 2015, 01:31:08 PM
The prequels are not as good as the original trilogy.  I think few will argue that point.  But in part that's because the original trilogy are really, really good.  And unfortunately a lot of modern action blockbusters are really, really bad.

Are the prequels better than, say, the Transformers movies?  I would say so.  Better than Jurassic World?  I think so.  Better than Man of Steel?  Yup.  And they're probably on par in terms of interesting visuals but nonsensical plotlines with the Star Trek reboot movies.

Deciding whether or not to watch the prequels will depend on your response to the original movies.  If you loved them then the notion of seeing some more of the same, though not as good, is still compelling.  If you were neutral on the originals then by all means skip them.

Disagree.

Episode One is fantastically bad, Ed Wood-like bad, "even the seven years olds don't like it" bad; there's nothing redeeming in it, from the performance of the actors to the bad CGI, to the totally uniniteresting plot.

L.

Actually it's probably the best least bad of the prequels. Mostly because the ambition of the plot matches the quality of the writing; it's pretty tragic to watch AOTC and ROTS and see the writers (Lucas wasn't alone) stumble like blind idiot monkeys when dealing with the more thematically ambitious parts of the prequel trilogy. They are choking full of ineptitude, a masterclass of how not to do cinema.

celedhring

Just seen the marketing campaign Amazon is pulling for Man in the High Castle:

Subway seats plastered with fascist imagery. That will create no controversy at all (which I guess is the point).  :lol:

Syt

Well, they also used this ad banner on their web page it seems:

Apparently some users didn't like it.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: celedhring on November 24, 2015, 03:18:29 AM

Actually it's probably the best least bad of the prequels. Mostly because the ambition of the plot matches the quality of the writing; it's pretty tragic to watch AOTC and ROTS and see the writers (Lucas wasn't alone) stumble like blind idiot monkeys when dealing with the more thematically ambitious parts of the prequel trilogy. They are choking full of ineptitude, a masterclass of how not to do cinema.

Most of the movie consists of people sitting around talking.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Josquius

I do note they're going with the Eagle rather than a swatzika.  Cowards.
██████
██████
██████

Eddie Teach

Isn't it set in a Vichy-like America?
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Malthus

Heh, apparently the Nazi-style salute was used in America prior to 1942 (the "Bellamy Salute").  :D

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bellamy_salute
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Valmy

Quote from: Malthus on November 24, 2015, 08:45:28 AM
Heh, apparently the Nazi-style salute was used in America prior to 1942 (the "Bellamy Salute").  :D

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bellamy_salute

Yes. We had a nasty radical nationalist stage in the late 19th century until WWII. We don't like to talk about it.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Savonarola

Quote from: jimmy olsen on November 24, 2015, 02:21:23 AM
I thought of Sav as soon as I saw this. I wonder how many of these movies he's seen?  :hmm:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M1F0lBnsnkE

Only 17 (Animal Crackers, Summer Stock, The Little Princess, Easter Parade, Footlight Parade, The Pirate, The Gay Divorcée, A Day at the Races, Top Hat, Singin' in the Rain, Babes in Arms, 42nd Street, Til the Clouds roll By, Way Out West, Yankee Doodle Dandy, and That's Entertainment Part 2).

Those films are mostly too contemporary for me. ;)
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Eddie Teach

A Day at the Races, Anchors Aweigh, An American in Paris, Singin' in the Rain, The Red Shoes... guess that's it, not sure about Animal Crackers.

I'm not very keen on the primary genre of the selections.  :sleep:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

viper37

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on November 23, 2015, 01:37:11 PM
Re: Badlands. It's some kind of post-apocalyptic setting. I'm willing to forgive the stupid premise that a ban on guns is enforceable by men with swords for the sake of the cool fight scenes. But I wasn't wowed by any of the story elements, either.
oh? there's a story?
:P
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Razgovory

Quote from: Tonitrus on November 24, 2015, 01:57:06 AM
Quote from: Razgovory on November 24, 2015, 12:37:57 AM
Okay, finished the Man in the High Castle.  Major weakness is that three "main characters" who part of a love triangle are not very interesting, and the gal is particularly dimwitted.  The first half of the episodes drag a little bit, and a lot of the plot doesn't go anywhere.  It really picks up toward the end.

That pretty much agrees with my analysis...I thought the "villains" were the most interesting characters (and superior actors)...including Tagomi.  The "heroes" were pretty dull...and completely agree on the girl.

Most interesting character was Japanese secret police man.  On the rare occasions we see actual members of the resistance they are interesting.  Juliana is the least interesting, and least sympathetic character.  And this is a show with Hitler in it.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017