News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

That was just terrible.  No explanation of how Kirk shows up in magic land, Picard's family is from a Dickens book, 3 old men stumble around and fight like 3 old men fighting, every cliffhanger trope in the book thrown on the screen, half of the movie takes place on a cheapass set made of barrels and iron bridges.

I'm never taking youse guys word on a movie again.

celedhring

Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 09, 2015, 12:21:11 AM
Is Star Trek Generations watchable or sucky?  It's on right now.

It's comically bad, I haven't seen Insurrection but it rivals Nemesis as the worst Trek movie I have seen.

Eddie Teach

All Star Trek movies are cheesy, you either accept it or you don't.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Josquius

Cheesy is awesomeness like going back in time to save the whales..
Generations is...yeah....I don't even know what that mess is
██████
██████
██████

Grey Fox

Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 09, 2015, 02:23:54 AM
That was just terrible.  No explanation of how Kirk shows up in magic land, Picard's family is from a Dickens book, 3 old men stumble around and fight like 3 old men fighting, every cliffhanger trope in the book thrown on the screen, half of the movie takes place on a cheapass set made of barrels and iron bridges.

It's the ribbon.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

viper37

That was just terrible.  No explanation of how Kirk shows up in magic land,
In the beginning, Kirk is absorbed by the Nexus, that energy thing.

Picard's family is from a Dickens book,
Recurring theme in sci-fi whenever you are in some imaginary place, your surroundings are defined by a book.

3 old men stumble around and fight like 3 old men fighting, every cliffhanger trope in the book thrown on the screen, half of the movie takes place on a cheapass set made of barrels and iron bridges.
yeah, Imho, it's the worst of the Trek movies.

Trekkies are willing to endure much suffering for a little glimpse of the Enterprise ;)
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Syt

But at least Kirk died on the bridge. Well, under a bridge. Close enough. :P
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Barrister

Like I said - you have to have a fondness for Trek.  If you do, you have:

-Picard meeting Kirk!
-Kirk dying!
-the Enterprise-B!
-the Enterprise-D crashing!

Kirk showing up in the ribbon-place is explained - he's sucked out of the Enterprise-B into that place.  I'll agree about the ending though - it was rather weak.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Josephus

Quote from: Barrister on November 09, 2015, 11:06:55 AM

Like I said - you have to have a fondness for Trek.  If you do, you have:

-Picard meeting Kirk!
-Kirk dying!
-the Enterprise-B!
-the Enterprise-D crashing!

Kirk showing up in the ribbon-place is explained - he's sucked out of the Enterprise-B into that place.  I'll agree about the ending though - it was rather weak.

Can't believe you guys all remember that stuff. Saw it once in the theatre, other than Kirk dying and some strange ribbon thing, I remember nothing else.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Syt

Quote from: celedhring on November 09, 2015, 02:45:03 AM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 09, 2015, 12:21:11 AM
Is Star Trek Generations watchable or sucky?  It's on right now.

It's comically bad, I haven't seen Insurrection but it rivals Nemesis as the worst Trek movie I have seen.

I thought Insurrection was ok-ish, but not great when I watched it at the movie theater. It felt like a feature length TV episode, though.

For a very good review (and pointing out some rather crucial story flaws, including the questionable morality of the story), check out SF Debris.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Malthus

Quote from: Syt on November 09, 2015, 10:21:41 AM
But at least Kirk died on the bridge. Well, under a bridge. Close enough. :P

You'd figure he'd rather have died under a green-skinned chick ...  :hmm:
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

viper37

Quote from: Josephus on November 09, 2015, 11:10:29 AM
Can't believe you guys all remember that stuff. Saw it once in the theatre, other than Kirk dying and some strange ribbon thing, I remember nothing else.
I remember everything, yet I've seen it once in theater too. It's not like there's a convoluted deep plot with many twists ;)

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Huge SW spoilers:
http://pix-geeks.com/star-wars-episode-vii-spoiler/

you'll need to scroll down a little, but when you see it, you'll know it ;)

Valmy

Quote from: viper37 on November 09, 2015, 02:05:43 PM
Huge SW spoilers:
http://pix-geeks.com/star-wars-episode-vii-spoiler/

you'll need to scroll down a little, but when you see it, you'll know it ;)

Oh wow I did not see that coming!!

Wait who is this guy again?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

viper37

just re-watch the trailer.  but it's written in French in the text I linked.