Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

viper37

Quote from: Syt on October 19, 2015, 02:47:01 AM
Quote from: celedhring on October 19, 2015, 02:35:56 AM
I'm arranging tickets myself for opening day too  :blush:

Please don't suck, I will even pretend that the movie is better than it really is, if it just doesn't suck.

The pre-sale started today. My normal English language theater's webpage was down so I checked the portal for the local Cineplexx chain. And it turned out they still had a few decent seats in the IMAX, and are showing it in English on premiere night. Oh well, it's a €16.20 gamble that I'm willing to take.
it's supposed to start tonight during Monday Night football.  I'm taking 12 tickets for that VIP cinema where we can drink a good bottle of wine watching the movie :cool:
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: Tyr on October 19, 2015, 02:38:14 PM
Walking Dead-
[spoiler]
The W guys don't really make much sense....They seemed to be a gang of psychopaths but...they've survived this long and are clearly planning, etc.... and then I remembered we saw them way back when.

The girl was explained towards the end when photos of Alexandria are found in one of the dead w guys' bags. They have a spy on the inside and Carl had discovered that she sneaked out of the camp a lot. She even started to say something along the lines of "My guys are here, I have to go" (can't remember exactly what...but certainly said 'we' about the invaders) when she walked into Carl's house.

edit- no wait, she said "You have too many blindspots" or something. Still othering herself but not quite with the guys. Still, seems that way.[/spoiler]

[spoiler]
"This place is too big, you have too many blindspots, this how we..." and then Carl cut her off.[/spoiler]
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Josephus

[spoiler]Oh....I never made the connection that the girl in the beginning was the same girl as the one Carl has a hard-on for. Is she working for the Wolves....didn't really see that clearly explained. And as per my first question, I found it strange the Wolves had no guns. It 's not as though it's a Wolf code or anythign, cause the guy at the end grabbed one and when Carol was all ninjad up, one of the Wolves said 'hey wheredya get the guns? [/spoiler]
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on October 19, 2015, 04:39:42 PM
The Maze Runner. Meh.

Can you spoiler me the big secret?  I gave up and I'm not going to watch the rest but I'm mildly curious.

Eddie Teach

[spoiler]They're part of a scientific experiment because the world has gotten too hot and then there was a disease epidemic they survived(don't really see how that makes sense, but /shrug)[/spoiler]

Admiral Yi

Grazie.

So my decision was a good one.

Phillip V

Besides Enid, who else can Carl fall in love with? He might have to chase after her into the woods.

Tonitrus

Quote from: Phillip V on October 19, 2015, 11:19:41 PM
Besides Enid, who else can Carl fall in love with? He might have to chase after her into the woods.

Not to mention the "love triangle" with the other kid.  I am not sure what TWD needs to improve the story is lame teenage angst.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Malthus on October 15, 2015, 08:19:22 AM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on October 14, 2015, 08:26:52 PM
Quote from: Malthus on October 13, 2015, 08:12:58 AM
Quote from: Tyr on October 12, 2015, 04:16:59 PM
First episode of the last kingdom - I feared the worst. They have rather killed it. The battles arent just small,they're nonsensical. Some comments are historically wrong (eg we used to rule from tweed to tyne! Err... thats modern Northumberland; not old bernicia, Cornwall is England,  etc...). Also everyone is posh. Such a shame.  I was at least hope for a Sharpesque cheap and cheerful piece

That's too bad. The books are very good, for genre fiction.
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Every bit of a fiction can be defined by a genre, there is no mythically pristine literary fiction that sits on a pedestal above as Minskyesque snobs would have us believe.

Meh. Cornwell's books tend to be written to a formula. He himself does not disguise it - he says when he started writing, he just copied the plot elements of the Hornblower books, with a different setting.  ;)

They are well-written and entertaining, but they aren't really the same quality as works that defy genre characterizations.

I've never read them, I just think the very concept of "genre fiction" is ridiculous.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

jimmy olsen

Star Wars trailer has to be one of the worst I've ever seen, what the fuck!?  :huh:
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
1 Karma Chameleon point

Tonitrus

Quote from: jimmy olsen on October 20, 2015, 12:20:18 AM
Star Wars trailer has to be one of the worst I've ever seen, what the fuck!?  :huh:

Anti-tainted...there is hope for the film yet.  :)

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Tonitrus on October 20, 2015, 12:24:55 AM

Watch it and tell me that.

1 Karma Chameleon point

Tonitrus

Quote from: jimmy olsen on October 20, 2015, 12:26:50 AM
Quote from: Tonitrus on October 20, 2015, 12:24:55 AM

Watch it and tell me that.

I saw the trailer.  It was "meh".  But my meaning is that it seems possible, using a logical twist on Languish tradition, a state of anti-"Timmay taint" surrounding the film now exists.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Tonitrus on October 19, 2015, 11:35:59 PM
Quote from: Phillip V on October 19, 2015, 11:19:41 PM

Not to mention the "love triangle" with the other kid.  I am not sure what TWD needs to improve the story is lame teenage angst.

He didn't seem very angsty when saving the other kid's life... I think the point of that scene was to contrast Carl's practicality with Ron's more typical emo teen behavior.