News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martinus

After dismal last season, American Horror Story is back with vengeance. Re-watching the first episode of season 5 now.  :lol:

garbon

Doesn't every season turn out dismal?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Josephus

Quote from: garbon on October 11, 2015, 12:34:19 PM

Yes. I was telling a friend the other day, I watch the first six or seven episodes of AHS each year. Get excited and then it fizzles out. Seems like the writers don't know how to carry it for 24 episodes
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Martinus

Quote from: Josephus on October 11, 2015, 01:12:04 PM

Yes. I was telling a friend the other day, I watch the first six or seven episodes of AHS each year. Get excited and then it fizzles out. Seems like the writers don't know how to carry it for 24 episodes

It's only 10 episodes per season...

Martinus

First two seasons were good, imo and I enjoyed season 3 for its campness.

Eddie Teach

Witches vs witchhunters, most anticlimactic battle I've ever seen. :thumbsdown:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

katmai

Quote from: Martinus on October 11, 2015, 11:37:06 AM
After dismal last season, American Horror Story is back with vengeance. Re-watching the first episode of season 5 now.  :lol:
Someone with worse taste than Ide.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

lustindarkness

Grand Duke of Lurkdom

Josephus

Quote from: Martinus on October 11, 2015, 01:30:51 PM
Quote from: Josephus on October 11, 2015, 01:12:04 PM

It's only 10 episodes per season...

13 actually, but yeah, still fizzle out halfway through
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Liep

Inside Out

Fun movie with moments of sad, classic Pixar. Great voice casting.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Savonarola

The Coming of Amos (1926)

If Cecil B Demille (this film's producer) and Frank Capra had co-directed a film this likely would have been the result.  Lovable Australian sheepherder  :outback: Amos (Rod La Rocque), inherits a large fortune.  His mother's dying wish is that he go to the Riviera to visit his uncle.  Hilarity ensues as the Aussie tries to fit into high society.  There's a Russian princess that he falls in love with, but she has a villainous man.  The villain spirits the princess away to his castle and a thrilling rescue ensues, with the help of boomerangs.

The film is wildly uneven; it goes from a light rom-com to a action packed extravaganza in the blink of an eye.  There was one title card of topical humor (from 1926) that I found amusing:

From Paris come the Parisians
From Cairo come the chiropractors
And from Florida come the realtors
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

garbon

Finally saw Cowboys & Aliens. While clearly a financial failure, I didn't really see why it got so much hate. Pleasant enough film for the type that it was.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

Quote from: Martinus on October 11, 2015, 01:31:19 PM

First two seasons were good, imo and I enjoyed season 3 for its campness.

I think 1 was sort of good, 2 fell apart and 3 was god awful - barring a few things as you said like say screaming out Balenciaga before dying.

Didn't give 4 a chance beyond two boring eps.

Josquius

First episode of the last kingdom - I feared the worst. They have rather killed it. The battles arent just small,they're nonsensical. Some comments are historically wrong (eg we used to rule from tweed to tyne! Err... thats modern Northumberland; not old bernicia, Cornwall is England,  etc...). Also everyone is posh. Such a shame.  I was at least hope for a Sharpesque cheap and cheerful piece 
██████
██████
██████

Admiral Yi

I watched a bit of that.  Gave up at the ridiculous sword fight on fire scene. Also chicks not hott enough.