News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Minsky Moment

The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

garbon

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on September 25, 2015, 03:24:36 PM
Quote from: Ideologue on September 24, 2015, 07:57:36 PM
SPR and The Breakfast Club are both pretty great, too.

Still is must be admitted that some well-placed machine gun fire and an amphibious assault would have improved the TBC

:o  :banned:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

The Minsky Moment

Ally Sheedy must have had a couple spare grenades in that bag . . .
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Josephus

Quote from: katmai on September 24, 2015, 06:07:56 PM
Quote from: mongers on September 24, 2015, 05:16:53 PM
Hands up all those who think other's tastes in movies are just terrible.  :cool:
Just your taste in music mongers.

Hey...he's got great taste in music :mad:
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Eddie Teach

He likes some good stuff, but he should broaden his palate. Man can not live by prog alone.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Ideologue

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on September 25, 2015, 03:24:36 PM
Quote from: Ideologue on September 24, 2015, 07:57:36 PM
SPR and The Breakfast Club are both pretty great, too.

Still is must be admitted that some well-placed machine gun fire and an amphibious assault would have improved the TBC

Hey, what about the story with the flare gun?  That's pretty action-packed.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Tonitrus

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on September 25, 2015, 03:26:04 PM
Quote from: 11B4V on September 25, 2015, 12:52:13 AM
What's Snake Eyes about?

Crapping out.

Having never seen it, I keep thinking Hollywood has gone to GI Joe character movies, and wondering when Destro is coming out.

PRC

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on September 25, 2015, 03:17:37 PM
Quote from: Ideologue on September 22, 2015, 11:56:19 PM
The Martian, to my understanding, has a very solid basis for its screenplay;

Based on a cultish procedural Sci-Fi novel that became a hit via the amazon self-publishing lottery
Read it a bit ago - not going to win any literary prizes but a funnish beach sort of read for nerdy trekky sort of folk.

You must be a nerdy trekky sort.

Re: True Detective 2... the first episode was the worst of the series and must have given it the bad rap it seems to have.  I thought it got great as it went on, but the final scenes occurred without much explanation.  Overall still so much better than everything else on TV.

celedhring

Dream House. Supernatural thriller with a pretty damn good cast (Daniel Craig, Naomi Watts, Rachel Weisz  :wub:), that remixes and pukes out a bunch of twists and reveals that I have seen in other, much better, films. It's actually a pretty transparent ripoff of [spoiler]The Others and Shutter Island[/spoiler]. Even if the film is hardly original, the premise could still make for an entertaining film, but it's a hack job.

Queequeg

Quote from: Ideologue on September 23, 2015, 09:04:03 PM

Alien and Gladiator are about on the same level of quality, I guess.

Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Josquius

Netflix have just signed a 12 episode third series of Black Mirror :D
██████
██████
██████

Ideologue

Quote from: Queequeg on September 26, 2015, 06:34:17 AM
Quote from: Ideologue on September 23, 2015, 09:04:03 PM

Alien and Gladiator are about on the same level of quality, I guess.

I ain't Alien's biggest fan.  "LOL hey Kane, I know you just woke up from some kind of alien plant raping your face, but you wanna have breakfast?"  "As vice president for biological warfare at Weyland-Yutani, I think what space war needs is some kind of bear that pops out of an egg."  I mean, it's a really well-made haunted house movie with the added bonus of a sex monster.  And that's great.  But Gladiator is a really well-made sword and sandal flick.  That's pretty great too.

I own both.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

katmai

You are a fucking idiot Ide.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

celedhring

Phil Spector. David Mamet writes and directs an HBO flick about Phil Spector's trial for the murder of aspiring actress Lana Clarkson. Sadly, it focuses mostly on the procedural aspects of the court case; the main characters are actually not Spector but his lawyers. Mamet does know how to make people talk in closed rooms, however, so it's still pretty watchable. Acting is top notch with Helen Mirren and Jeffrey Tambor playing Spector's lawyers. Al Pacino plays Al Pacino playing Phil Spector.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: celedhring on September 26, 2015, 04:22:48 PM
Al Pacino plays Al Pacino playing Phil Spector.

The role he was born to play.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?