And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ideologue

Quote from: katmai on September 26, 2015, 03:58:18 PM
You are a fucking idiot Ide.

If you can't recognize that Alien is kind of silly on a narrative/conceptual level, then you probably don't need to go around slinging words like "idiot."

But I'm so excited about what'll come next.  I make a relatively minor criticism of some fucking Languish favorite, which we all agree is a high quality picture, and then I get jumped on by you and everybody else.  How about we skip that this time, you pack of toxic cunts? :rolleyes:
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

The Brain

Why would a guy not need breakfast? Surely people recovering from illness need energy.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Ideologue

They're about to put him in hypersleep, then they don't, and there's this weird lack of urgency to the whole sequence, even though this guy has an alien life form the size of his kitten in his chest.  (Then the xenomorph pops out and grows to like twice the size of a man somehow, and this matters less because it doesn't have a whole centerpiece scene that goes on for like five minutes while you wonder why this guy isn't at least still confined to the infirmary.)

Meanwhile, the company's interest in xenomorphs has never, ever made sense, not once in the whole franchise, even if it does make the most sense here.  (They're not even particularly good killing machines, compared to humans, which is amply demonstrated in Aliens.)

It's a pretty great horror movie nonetheless, because it's really well-made, particularly in regards its art and production design, which didn't become iconic for no reason.

P.S. Alien 3 sucks, and Prometheus is worse.  How is Alien: Resurrection?  It's in my box set, but I've never seen it? -_-
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Liep

Quote from: Ideologue on September 26, 2015, 04:47:51 PM
Quote from: katmai on September 26, 2015, 03:58:18 PM
You are a fucking idiot Ide.

If you can't recognize that Alien is kind of silly on a narrative/conceptual level, then you probably don't need to go around slinging words like "idiot."

But I'm so excited about what'll come next.  I make a relatively minor criticism of some fucking Languish favorite, which we all agree is a high quality picture, and then I get jumped on by you and everybody else.  How about we skip that this time, you pack of toxic cunts? :rolleyes:
For what it's worth I agree with you. I've always found that breakfast scene weirdly cheerful.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Liep

I like Alien 3, you're an idiot Ide.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

katmai

Quote from: Ideologue on September 26, 2015, 04:56:17 PM
How is Alien: Resurrection?  It's in my box set, but I've never seen it? -_-

It is worst of the lost, which means you'll love it.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Ideologue

OK, Liep, but I'm pretty on-consensus on that one. :P  It's got it's moments, I guess.

I forget, do they address why Kane isn't in constant agony?  Is that one of those things where facehuggers are ridiculously adaptive to parasitizing humans?
Kinemalogue

Ideologue

Quote from: katmai on September 26, 2015, 05:03:06 PM

Does the lot include Prometheus and the AVP movies?
Kinemalogue

katmai

Quote from: Ideologue on September 26, 2015, 05:05:25 PM

Ok, better than the horrible AVP movies.

11B4V

Quote from: Ideologue on September 26, 2015, 05:05:25 PM

Prometheus is not bad.  :rolleyes: Still rated higher than Oblivion.  :blurgh:
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

The Brain

Prometheus is much better than Valhalla Rising.

katmai

The Brain

Eddie Teach

Quote from: katmai on September 26, 2015, 05:19:20 PM
Quote from: The Brain on September 26, 2015, 05:18:24 PM
Prometheus is much better than Valhalla Rising.

What isn't?

The Breakfast Club.

n.b. I've never seen Valhalla Rising.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Capetan Mihali

Hmm, looks like I missed the run of Rififi. :(  Though it's starting to sound like I'm too much on the repertory end of the film appreciation spectrum, so perhaps it's for the best.

Missed Horse Money too, though. :weep:  So which should I aspire to see this weekend: Black Mass or Straight Outta CompUSA?
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)