News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

It's strange but I can't remember what happened after the thunderdome.

Nothing else was on Friday night so I watched Aliens for the zillionth time.  Probably rivalling Caddy Shack for views now.

The heart and soul of that movie is the scene in the APC right after they get buttfucked by the aliens.  Every line by Hicks is perfectly written and perfectly delivered.

"Corporal Hicks is next in chain of command.  Isn't that right Hicks?"
"Yeah, that's right."

"He's just a grunt...no offense intended."
"None taken."

"Nuke it from orbit, that's the only way to be sure."

Syt

Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 20, 2015, 03:15:38 PM

Wacky hijinx, mostly.

Aliens and Raiders of the Lost Ark are IMHO the two best action movies. Though Fury Road is a candidate for being up there.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

lustindarkness

Quote from: lustindarkness on September 20, 2015, 12:22:49 PM
I chose to waste some time today watching some mindless violence, and I knew The Purge sucks... Well, I was not disappointed, it sucked.

I guess I'll have to watch The Purge Anarchy later this afternoon.

Anarchy was a lot less bad. Enjoyed it.
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

celedhring

Quote from: Syt on September 20, 2015, 03:17:15 PM

Wacky hijinx, mostly.

Aliens and Raiders of the Lost Ark are IMHO the two best action movies. Though Fury Road is a candidate for being up there.

T2, Die Hard too. But yeah, Mad max deserves to be in the canon.

Ideologue

Quote from: celedhring on September 20, 2015, 04:54:29 PM
Quote from: Syt on September 20, 2015, 03:17:15 PM

Wacky hijinx, mostly.

T2, Die Hard too. But yeah, Mad max deserves to be in the canon.

The first?  If you say so.

Agree with the others, however.  I'd add The Raid to consideration, along with The General, The Untouchables,* the first* and fourth M:I films.  I like Temple better than Raiders, but both are essentially perfect.  (Oh, you have to listen to Kate Kapshaw scream at animals for like two minutes.  I found that scene intolerably boring too--when I was ten.)  Obviously, the first three Star Wars pictures are at the very top of the pile, if they count as action.

Gravity, if it counts, is the absolute best.

*I've been rewatching a bunch of De Palma classics. :wub:  (And sub-classics, I suppose.)  Untouchables, Casualties of War, Snake Eyes, and Body Double are all either masterpieces or extremely close.  Raising Cain and Femme Fatale are... ah, well, they're interesting, anyway.  They're completely successful as BDP films, if not on any normal level.

Thinking about putting Carlito's Way on for another spin.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

katmai

Quote from: Ideologue on September 20, 2015, 05:46:52 PM

*I've been rewatching a bunch of De Palma classics. :wub:  (And sub-classics, I suppose.)  Untouchables, Casualties of War, Snake Eyes, and Body Double are all either masterpieces or extremely close.
Did you eat paint chips as a child?
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Ideologue

So katmai hates The Untouchables.  Sounds like kind of an asshole, doesn't he?
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

katmai

Untouchables is a good film, and probably the only good DePalma Film there is. And I give more credit to Mamet script than his direction.

Casualties of War is  decent and Body Double has its moments but is just a sexed up Hitchcock attempt. Neither are "Masterpieces or close"
And I won't even dignify to bring in the piece of crap that is Snake Eyes.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Ideologue

Everybody hates Snake Eyes.  It's a masterpiece of thriller filmmaking, if nothing else, and it splits the difference extraordinarily well between Goofy and Serious Cage.

Body Double, admittedly, is a fans-only movie.  But it's got so much for the fan to enjoy, without topping itself into enjoyable bullshit like Raising Cain or Femme Fatale, which also seem to exist solely for BDP to play around with technique.

Casualties of War is just great, displaying that he can deal seriously with mature themes without abandoning his flamboyant idiom.

Untouchables being his "only good" one leaves out some pretty well-regarded movies.  Everybody likes Carlito's Way, everybody likes Carrie, everybody at least enjoys the first Mission: Impossible, and Phantom of the Paradise is enjoyed pretty passionately by many.
Kinemalogue

dps

Quote from: Ideologue on September 20, 2015, 06:08:06 PM
everybody at least enjoys the first Mission: Impossible

Hardly.  I thought it was crap, and haven't bothered to see the sequels.

Ideologue

Your loss.  Well, you didn't miss much with M:I 2.  Everybody (or maybe I should say "most everybody") agrees that it's kind of crap.
Kinemalogue

PDH

I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

citizen k

Eddie Teach

Quote from: katmai on September 20, 2015, 06:00:35 PM
Untouchables is a good film, and probably the only good DePalma Film there is.

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Eddie Teach

My votes:
Outstanding Drama Series- Game of Thrones (And I think Walking Dead and Tyrant deserved nominations, especially over that weak final season of Mad Men).
Outstanding Comedy Series- Silicon Valley.
Lead Actor, Drama- Odenkirk. I like Spacey but his character's a bit too cartoonish at times.
Lead Actress, Drama- pass. Don't watch most of those shows and the ones I do, not wowed by the performances.
Supporting Actor, Drama- Dinklage or Kelly.
Supporting Actress, Drama- Headey.
Supporting Actor, Comedy- Braugher (Samberg should have at least been nominated for lead, but I guess letting him host makes up for it).
Supporting Actress, Comedy- Bowen.
Writing, Drama- Game of Thrones.
Writing, Comedy- Silicon Valley.

Looks like American Horror Story's found a way to cheese its way into some barely contested categories. It really should be getting snubs in the Drama categories.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?