Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Liep

Quote from: celedhring on September 19, 2015, 02:53:04 AM
Quote from: Liep on September 18, 2015, 01:19:59 PM
Leviathan (2014).

There really is no hope in Russia. A sad story and good acting: 8/10.

Well, the fact the movie got made isn't one?

Hope you mean? I did consider that but dismissed it, no one is denying that Russia is deeply corrupt. Putin even sees himself as an ardent crusader against corruption.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

celedhring

Quote from: Liep on September 19, 2015, 07:08:27 AM
Quote from: celedhring on September 19, 2015, 02:53:04 AM
Quote from: Liep on September 18, 2015, 01:19:59 PM
Leviathan (2014).

There really is no hope in Russia. A sad story and good acting: 8/10.

Well, the fact the movie got made isn't one?

Hope you mean? I did consider that but dismissed it, no one is denying that Russia is deeply corrupt. Putin even sees himself as an ardent crusader against corruption.

Well, the fact that there are critical voices, despite all the censorship going on there (and the film was even selected for the Oscars), tells me all is not lost.

Coach Charter. Samuel L. Jackson benches his highly successful basketball team until they pass their exams, and everybody hates him for it. It's pretty formulaic "inspirational coach" stuff, but reasonably effective and highly critical of how school sports are used in troubled neighborhoods.

celedhring

I guess I feel like watching black issues films today. Just saw "42", the story of the first professional black baseball player, in the 1940s. I enjoyed it, despite the fact I don't give a damn about baseball. It's a well told inspirational story that doesn't overplay the cheap sentimentality card and just lets the events speak for themselves. Good acting (Harrison Ford looks a bit ridiculous under a ton of makeup but he does a good job), great recreation of the era.

I was a bit taken aback by all the shameless racism of the era - as pictured in the film-, wasn't aware things were that bad in the northern states in the 1940s.

Syt

Quote from: celedhring on September 19, 2015, 11:15:58 AMI was a bit taken aback by all the shameless racism of the era

You may want to read about one of the first superstars of the sports, Ty Cobb. ;) He was from Georgia, though. And some of the allegations are considered unfounded these days.

Black players were professional before, competing in the Negro League. While black players were not formally banned by Major League Baseball, there was a "gentlemen's agreement" between the owners to not do so. Several owners were miffed about this at various points in time, because it kept some really great talent out of the big leagues. There were attempts to pass off blacks as Native American or Latino.

When the color barrier in MLB was broken, the Negro League soon disbanded because their major players were hired by the better paying MLB teams.

But racism remained an issue. When Hank Aaron in the 70s was aiming for Babe Ruth's home run record, he got quite a bit of hate mail and death threats, because people were unhappy that a black guy would surpass the popular (white) icon.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

mongers

Watching a documentary about a handful of Brits and others foreigners fighters with the Kurdish YPG attacking ISIS positions in Northern Syria:

http://www.channel4.com/programmes/frontline-fighting-the-brits-battling-isis/on-demand/62156-001

Worth a viewing, mainly village house clearance on a shoestring with the occasional US airstrike.

Interesting to see female fighters directing their male comrades, because often they're some of the most experienced soldiers.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Tonitrus

Quote from: mongers on September 19, 2015, 07:01:49 PM
Watching a documentary about a handful of Brits and others foreigners fighters with the Kurdish YPG and attack ISIS positions in Northern Iraq:

http://www.channel4.com/programmes/frontline-fighting-the-brits-battling-isis/on-demand/62156-001

Worth a viewing, mainly village house clearance on a shoestring with the occasion US airstrike.
Interesting to see female fighters directing their male comrades, because often they're some of the most experienced soldiers.

Maybe it's just me, but it won't play on any browser I try and use. :hmm:

Admiral Yi

11B4V

Too bad Id like to watch that.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

mongers

Quote from: 11B4V on September 19, 2015, 07:31:45 PM

Yeah sorry about that, but that's the only link I have.

Though maybe I can find it on youtube.

edit:
OK found that someone has put it up on youtube within the last few hours, but there's a partial block so I can't see it in the UK, so maybe this is viewable in the US:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GUnUJ1Ke3Gg
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

11B4V

Quote from: mongers on September 19, 2015, 07:32:38 PM
Quote from: 11B4V on September 19, 2015, 07:31:45 PM

Yeah sorry about that, but that's the only link I have.

Though maybe I can find it on youtube.

OK found that someone has put it up on youtube within the last few hours, but there's a partial block so I can't see it in the UK, so maybe this is viewable in the US:

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=video&cd=6&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CDcQtwIwBWoVChMItJ-y4K6EyAIVYYzbCh2khQgL&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DGUnUJ1Ke3Gg&usg=AFQjCNHqj9QF8eQvCh93QS7FnULXE44bQw

thanks I was just going to post it.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Admiral Yi

Syt

Iron Sky - The Coming Race is looking for additional funding:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=3&v=HXXWm2V6uR0

Apparently the plot involves hidden cities in the center of the Earth. And, obviously, dinosaurs. Because of course.

Teaser trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3jLaf5qj8cs
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

lustindarkness

I chose to waste some time today watching some mindless violence, and I knew The Purge sucks... Well, I was not disappointed, it sucked.

I guess I'll have to watch The Purge Anarchy later this afternoon.
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

Syt

Quote from: lustindarkness on September 20, 2015, 12:22:49 PM
I chose to waste some time today watching some mindless violence, and I knew The Purge sucks... Well, I was not disappointed, it sucked.

I liked the concept better in Star Trek's The Return of the Archons.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Syt

Mad Max - Beyond Thunderdome. Still not liking it very much.

The production design is great. Mad Max had "normal" Australia, with order breaking down, but civilization largely intact. Mad Max - The Roadwarrior: civilization has collapsed and there's rivaling factions. The "classic" postapocalyptic look debuts. Mad Max - Beyond Thunderdome takes place in a true desert wasteland, and the ragtag armor and clothing becomes a bit more exotic and further removed from present day. While Road Warrior is the far better movie, Thunderdome finalized the "classic" postapocalyptic look that is further expanded in Fury Road.

The movie is decent enough until the Thunderdome scene. Unfortunately it turns into a Disney comedy aimed at kids after that. Oddly enough, my best advice is: watch the movie, but not beyond Thunderdome.
—Stephen Jay Gould