Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Larch

Quote from: Liep on September 17, 2015, 05:57:50 PM
Quote from: The Larch on September 17, 2015, 05:38:10 PM
Quote from: Liep on September 17, 2015, 04:08:59 PM
Little Miss Sunshine. Best movie I've seen this year.

Only took you 9 years.  :P

If you want to feel old, google the actress that plays the little girl.

She played in Zombieland I see, I remember that now. Doesn't really make me feel old, Emma Stone is only a few years younger than me. I can live with that. :P

You wouldn't feel so good if you had seen the movie back on its day. :P

Razgovory

Quote from: 11B4V on September 17, 2015, 05:18:58 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on September 17, 2015, 05:12:17 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 17, 2015, 01:15:28 PM
Quote from: Ideologue on September 17, 2015, 12:59:43 PM
18 year old.

I thought about it and maybe you meant the Frenchwoman. -_-  Not the in-shock USO girls whom the soldiers, iirc, kinda-sorta rape.  In any event it's gross, that much has stuck with me.  I definitely remember they're literally purchased in exchange for gasoline.

I don't remember any coercion or whimpering.  I remember the girls being quite enthusiastic.

Which of course makes no sense whatsoever.  Why would whack magazine centerfolds happily be turning tricks in the middle of the Vietnamese jungle?

I think the point of the movie is that nothing makes sense.  There is little rhyme or reason to what anyone does and each place they go is more surreal then the last.  The men want to have sex with the Bunnies but the women seem oblivious and chatter on about random bullshit.  The French dinner scene is similar with people rambling on without a care to what anyone else is saying.  I think the whole movie is a cacophony of weirdness reflecting American misunderstanding and ambivalence to what actually occurred in Vietnam.  It's neither pro and anti-war.  It's just a confusing series of events that have no real meaning.  At least that was my impression.

That says it best.

Hey, I could be a film critic!

Dateline:  Jefferson City, 2021.  Revered film critic Raz G. Ovory was assassinated in his home today.  Police apprehended  the suspect 20 miles outside of St. Louis.  I. D. Eologue, the alleged assassin, was arrested without incident.  A high powered rifle was found in his possession along with the same manifesto the alleged shooter sent to several media outlets.  Police have yet to ascribe a motive to the killing as the manifesto has been described as, "incoherent rambling".  Mr. Eologue was lawyer in the Pittsburgh area before a bizarre nude stand off with police four years ago.  Perhaps not coincidentally that was the same time that Mr. Ovory's film reviews were first syndicated in papers across the country.  Eologue had been released from a sanitarium two weeks ago.  Witnesses claim to have seen the gunman screaming "Stem!", repeatedly during the shooting before escaping the scene on foot.  What if anything this might mean, is unknown.  Ovory, who won the Pulitzer prize in Criticism in 2020, is survived by his sister, mother and 28 cats.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yaKxRN2LdEI  In honor of the lost. :(
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Eddie Teach

The Man From Laramie. Jimmy Stewart is on the hunt for a man who sold the Apache the rifles they used to kill his brother. Also, he's looking for a town with a decent football team.

It was alright.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Ideologue

Quote from: Razgovory on September 17, 2015, 11:50:06 PM
Quote from: 11B4V on September 17, 2015, 05:18:58 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on September 17, 2015, 05:12:17 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 17, 2015, 01:15:28 PM
Quote from: Ideologue on September 17, 2015, 12:59:43 PM
18 year old.

I thought about it and maybe you meant the Frenchwoman. -_-  Not the in-shock USO girls whom the soldiers, iirc, kinda-sorta rape.  In any event it's gross, that much has stuck with me.  I definitely remember they're literally purchased in exchange for gasoline.

I don't remember any coercion or whimpering.  I remember the girls being quite enthusiastic.

Which of course makes no sense whatsoever.  Why would whack magazine centerfolds happily be turning tricks in the middle of the Vietnamese jungle?

I think the point of the movie is that nothing makes sense.  There is little rhyme or reason to what anyone does and each place they go is more surreal then the last.  The men want to have sex with the Bunnies but the women seem oblivious and chatter on about random bullshit.  The French dinner scene is similar with people rambling on without a care to what anyone else is saying.  I think the whole movie is a cacophony of weirdness reflecting American misunderstanding and ambivalence to what actually occurred in Vietnam.  It's neither pro and anti-war.  It's just a confusing series of events that have no real meaning.  At least that was my impression.

That says it best.

Hey, I could be a film critic!

Dateline:  Jefferson City, 2021.  Revered film critic Raz G. Ovory was assassinated in his home today.  Police apprehended  the suspect 20 miles outside of St. Louis.  I. D. Eologue, the alleged assassin, was arrested without incident.  A high powered rifle was found in his possession along with the same manifesto the alleged shooter sent to several media outlets.  Police have yet to ascribe a motive to the killing as the manifesto has been described as, "incoherent rambling".  Mr. Eologue was lawyer in the Pittsburgh area before a bizarre nude stand off with police four years ago.  Perhaps not coincidentally that was the same time that Mr. Ovory's film reviews were first syndicated in papers across the country.  Eologue had been released from a sanitarium two weeks ago.  Witnesses claim to have seen the gunman screaming "Stem!", repeatedly during the shooting before escaping the scene on foot.  What if anything this might mean, is unknown.  Ovory, who won the Pulitzer prize in Criticism in 2020, is survived by his sister, mother and 28 cats.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yaKxRN2LdEI  In honor of the lost. :(

In other news, local Jefferson shut-in continues strange vendetta against other people's hobbies, seems to not enjoy life.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

garbon

He named you a lawyer so that's something.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Eddie Teach

Corrina, Corrina. A movie that deals with race relations in the 50s with a light touch and doesn't feel like a rehash of all the other movies on that subject. I enjoyed it.

Savonarola

The Secret Game (1917)

The Hun is at it again; as the virtuous and noble Yankees prepare to ship troops to Russia in order to surprise the Germans on the eastern front (SURPRISE!) German raiders appear on the Pacific ocean.  There must be a leak in the quartermasters office.  The Japanese send their top man Nara-Nara (Sessue Hayakawa) to root out the traitor.  Being Asian he's naturally sneaky and good at that sort of thing.  Anyhow there's a German immigrant in the quartermaster's office (Florence Vidor) so of course she's the traitor.  This sets up the conflict, since white women are every Asian man's weakness.

This is a wonderful propaganda film from a time when Hollywood was not afraid to come out and use stereotypes.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Valmy

Quote from: Savonarola on September 18, 2015, 09:08:50 AM
This is a wonderful propaganda film from a time when Hollywood was not afraid to come out and use stereotypes.

Man I miss those charming whimsical times.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Norgy

Just watched "Interstellar", and I am unsure as to whether it's the worst movie I have seen or just one of the worst.

Liep

Leviathan (2014).

There really is no hope in Russia. A sad story and good acting: 8/10.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Josquius

Kingsman- well that was a fun film. Somewhere between Austin powers and James Bond, even the trendy modern aspects couldn't spoil it too much.
Though they overdid the whole swallowing stuff bit a little. And the dog shooting was seen a mile away.
██████
██████
██████

celedhring

The Town. Decent, with some gripping robbery scenes. I think Affleck shouldn't have acted in it, though, he isn't too believable as the main character. Jeremy Renner is way better in comparison.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Norgy on September 18, 2015, 12:49:13 PM
Just watched "Interstellar", and I am unsure as to whether it's the worst movie I have seen or just one of the worst.

Other than the whole extra-dimensional communication bit, it was pretty decent.

lustindarkness

Could not sleep, so watched The Sand Pebbles (1966) with Steve McQueen. Good stuff.
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

celedhring

Quote from: Liep on September 18, 2015, 01:19:59 PM
Leviathan (2014).

There really is no hope in Russia. A sad story and good acting: 8/10.

Well, the fact the movie got made isn't one?