TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ideologue

Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 17, 2015, 10:59:20 AM
I liked the T&A in redux.

Did you also like the T&A in Casualties of War? :huh:
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Ideologue on September 17, 2015, 12:52:38 PM
Did you also like the T&A in Casualties of War? :huh:

You talking about the five year old Sean Penn raped?  Or is that a different movie?

Ideologue

18 year old.

I thought about it and maybe you meant the Frenchwoman. -_-  Not the in-shock USO girls whom the soldiers, iirc, kinda-sorta rape.  In any event it's gross, that much has stuck with me.  I definitely remember they're literally purchased in exchange for gasoline.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Ideologue on September 17, 2015, 12:59:43 PM
18 year old.

I thought about it and maybe you meant the Frenchwoman. -_-  Not the in-shock USO girls whom the soldiers, iirc, kinda-sorta rape.  In any event it's gross, that much has stuck with me.  I definitely remember they're literally purchased in exchange for gasoline.

I don't remember any coercion or whimpering.  I remember the girls being quite enthusiastic.

Which of course makes no sense whatsoever.  Why would whack magazine centerfolds happily be turning tricks in the middle of the Vietnamese jungle?

Malthus

I don't remember Redux too well, but I do remember that the added footage screwed up the pacing of the movie something fierce - it just dragged. Much of it seemed either wrong in tone (there was a whole thing about a stolen surfboard that was straight out of a bad comedy) or completely nonsensical.

Worst "longer version" I know of. [The best remains the "international version" of Leon: The Professional, which is like a different, and better, movie].

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Baron von Schtinkenbutt

Someone hasn't seen the extended version of Dune. :P

Savonarola

Quote from: Baron von Schtinkenbutt on September 17, 2015, 01:28:36 PM
Someone hasn't seen the extended version of Dune. :P

Extended Dune is awful, but regular Dune isn't all that good.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Malthus

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Ideologue

I got that out of a blu-ray bargain bin.  Not the worst $8 I ever spent, but bleh.
Kinemalogue

PRC

Good documentary out on Netflix called "Jodorowsky's Dune" about Alejandro Jodoowsky's attempt to make Dune in the mid-70s.  Pretty wild what could have been.

Liep

Little Miss Sunshine. Best movie I've seen this year.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Razgovory

Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 17, 2015, 01:15:28 PM
18 year old.

I don't remember any coercion or whimpering.  I remember the girls being quite enthusiastic.

Which of course makes no sense whatsoever.  Why would whack magazine centerfolds happily be turning tricks in the middle of the Vietnamese jungle?

I think the point of the movie is that nothing makes sense.  There is little rhyme or reason to what anyone does and each place they go is more surreal then the last.  The men want to have sex with the Bunnies but the women seem oblivious and chatter on about random bullshit.  The French dinner scene is similar with people rambling on without a care to what anyone else is saying.  I think the whole movie is a cacophony of weirdness reflecting American misunderstanding and ambivalence to what actually occurred in Vietnam.  It's neither pro and anti-war.  It's just a confusing series of events that have no real meaning.  At least that was my impression.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

11B4V

Quote from: Razgovory on September 17, 2015, 05:12:17 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 17, 2015, 01:15:28 PM
18 year old.

I think the point of the movie is that nothing makes sense.  There is little rhyme or reason to what anyone does and each place they go is more surreal then the last.  The men want to have sex with the Bunnies but the women seem oblivious and chatter on about random bullshit.  The French dinner scene is similar with people rambling on without a care to what anyone else is saying.  I think the whole movie is a cacophony of weirdness reflecting American misunderstanding and ambivalence to what actually occurred in Vietnam.  It's neither pro and anti-war.  It's just a confusing series of events that have no real meaning.  At least that was my impression.

That says it best.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

The Larch

Quote from: Liep on September 17, 2015, 04:08:59 PM

Only took you 9 years.  :P

If you want to feel old, google the actress that plays the little girl.

Liep

Quote from: The Larch on September 17, 2015, 05:38:10 PM
Quote from: Liep on September 17, 2015, 04:08:59 PM

Only took you 9 years.  :P

If you want to feel old, google the actress that plays the little girl.

She played in Zombieland I see, I remember that now. Doesn't really make me feel old, Emma Stone is only a few years younger than me. I can live with that. :P
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk