News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

celedhring

Polly Walker's part was particularly wasted.

"Oh, look, isn't she Atia from Rome? I love that actress."
*Dies gruesomely*
"Oh well..."

It's not even a spoiler, she's handled in such a throwaway manner.

Ideologue

Quote from: The Larch on September 08, 2015, 04:32:55 AM
Quote from: Ideologue on September 07, 2015, 06:39:53 PM
Doesn't it star Sam Worthington and Gemma Arterton? :unsure:

And Pete Postlethwaite, about two days before he died of cancer?

And Liam Neeson, and Ralph Fiennes, and Luke Evans, and Mads Mikkelsen, and Nicholas Hoult, and Polly Walker (Atia in HBO's Rome), and Elizabeth McGovern (the Countess of Grantham in Downton Abbey) and a bunch of Game of Thrones veterans (Alexander Siddig, Liam Cunningham, Rory McCann).

Well, fair enough.  And I do love Alexander Siddig.  DS9 and Syriana?  That's an accomplished resume already. :wub:
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Norgy

Quote from: celedhring on September 08, 2015, 04:39:26 AM
Polly Walker's part was particularly wasted.

"Oh, look, isn't she Atia from Rome? I love that actress."
*Dies gruesomely*
"Oh well..."

It's not even a spoiler, she's handled in such a throwaway manner.

But, man, Polly Walker is on my List of celebs to have rough sex with after her part in "Rome".

jimmy olsen

The Winter Soldier exposes the truth of the Illumanati and the New World Order to the masses! Wake up sheeple!

https://deusnexus.wordpress.com/2014/04/06/captain-america-illuminati-game/
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

viper37

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on September 07, 2015, 10:31:06 PM
The Wachowskis have been consistently putting out ambitious yet silly content since The Matrix.
Cloud Atlas was pretty good.  It's one of those movies the movie critics are unable to understand because they can't get past the first layer, like Sucker Punch.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Josephus

Saw a movie on Netflix called Parallels which was actually OK....about shifting from one alternate universe to another, a la Sliders.

The ending was kind of a non-ending so I looked it up and saw it was a rejected TV pilot.  Waste of 90 minutes.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Darth Wagtaros

Quote from: Josephus on September 08, 2015, 09:36:02 AM
Saw a movie on Netflix called Parallels which was actually OK....about shifting from one alternate universe to another, a la Sliders.

The ending was kind of a non-ending so I looked it up and saw it was a rejected TV pilot.  Waste of 90 minutes.
I had the same experience.  No idea what the fuck was going on there at the end.  No idea it was a rejected TV pilot.  Now its suckitude makes sense.
PDH!

celedhring

Terminator Genysis has become a smash hit in China and it looks increasingly likely that we will be punished with a sequel. It's now the 2nd highest grossing Terminator movie after T-2 (unadjusted).

Josquius

Mad Max (new)- well that was one if the stupidest things I've ever seen. But a lot of fun.
I can't help but think however that the ending may be grim- so they just turned the water on like that... Won't it run dry and kill the citadel totally?
Also, max didn't get his car back afterall, mad max is all about the car  :(
I also ponder how long he was prisoner at the start
██████
██████
██████

Ideologue

Quote from: celedhring on September 08, 2015, 11:49:24 AM
Terminator Genysis has become a smash hit in China and it looks increasingly likely that we will be punished with a sequel. It's now the 2nd highest grossing Terminator movie after T-2 (unadjusted).

Yeah, I saw that.  They're nearly as an important a market as America these days, and as undiscriminating as we sometimes appear to be, their ability to distinguish good from bad must be virtually nonexistent.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Tonitrus

And to add on, the Chinese government is apparently accused of rigging box office figures in favor of a patriotic film.  :D

http://www.theguardian.com/film/2015/sep/08/china-accused-of-as-government-backed-film-outperforms-terminator-genisys

mongers

Quote from: Ideologue on September 07, 2015, 10:53:01 PM

Reviewed Grand Prix (1966).  10/10.  Frankenheimer. :wub:

Also managed to check out Black Sunday and Seven Days in May.  8 and 7 of 10, respectively.

Personally I'd rate 'Seven Days in May' higher than a seven.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Habbaku

Quote from: Tyr on September 08, 2015, 03:01:46 PM
Mad Max (new)- well that was one if the stupidest things I've ever seen. But a lot of fun.
I can't help but think however that the ending may be grim- so they just turned the water on like that... Won't it run dry and kill the citadel totally?
Also, max didn't get his car back afterall, mad max is all about the car  :(
I also ponder how long he was prisoner at the start

:rolleyes:
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

celedhring

Quote from: Tonitrus on September 08, 2015, 09:03:15 PM

And to add on, the Chinese government is apparently accused of rigging box office figures in favor of a patriotic film.  :D

http://www.theguardian.com/film/2015/sep/08/china-accused-of-as-government-backed-film-outperforms-terminator-genisys

:lol:

Although it's more the movie theaters cheating in order to take advantage of the bonuses the Chinese government set for the patriotic film.

celedhring

Went to a friend's daughter birthday party. It was a mistake, it was all full of kids and parents.

Anyway. Hotel Transylvania - dull and predictable. Kids loved it.