And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Malthus

Quote from: Ideologue on September 05, 2015, 08:50:18 PM
Apocalypto.  9/10.  I wish Mel Gibson were stable. :(

Reminds me that I have to check that movie out -though I know it's hardly gonna be historically accurate.  ;)
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Ideologue

:)

Yeah, even though I was a huge fan of The Passion of the Christ, I didn't get around to Apocalypto till lately.  They need to issue a new blu-ray release.

I' getting to Leon at some point in the next few days.  I feel a lot better than I have these last couple of weeks, i.e. not completely depressed and shit.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

mongers

Finished watching the last of the 1981 'The Borgias' tv series, rather good with nice costumes and not too many historical liberties taken.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Tonitrus

Quote from: Habbaku on September 04, 2015, 02:52:08 PM
Quote from: celedhring on September 04, 2015, 12:54:35 PM
Quote from: Habbaku on September 04, 2015, 12:40:12 PM
Quote from: celedhring on September 03, 2015, 05:34:56 PM
No Country For Old Men - Love the film, but [spoiler]I still feel robbed by the way Moss' death happens off-camera, after the film spends so much time getting you invested in his survival[/spoiler].

[spoiler]That's the whole point of the story...[/spoiler]

[spoiler]I don't mind him dying, I get that is the point. I mind not seeing it, it really feels like a cop out.[/spoiler] That said, I just read up on the novel and it's done that way in there, so I can understand the Coens respecting that.

[spoiler]No, I mean not seeing it is the whole point.  The world has passed the Sheriff by and the anti-climax of his missing out on the big showdown is the representation of that.  Later on, as well, when he hesitates to enter the room the killer is in, is the final show that he's done with this work, that the world should be left to overs.  He says it earlier in the film--he no longer has the will to 'put the chips in' and take the risks he needs to catch the criminals that this new generation has produced.[/spoiler]

The lesson of the film is: "Don't go back to give water to dying criminals at a crime scene."

Ideologue

Quote from: celedhring on September 05, 2015, 04:07:31 PM
Focus. Fun harmless con movie. Not the best, not the worst. Plus, Margot  :wub:

EDIT: great soundtrack, btw.

Told you.  Sort of, anyway; I thought Focus was pretty great.  I think I liked it better than The Sting. :hmm:  It's certainly 30 minutes shorter.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Ideologue on September 06, 2015, 12:35:56 AM
Told you.  Sort of, anyway; I thought Focus was pretty great.  I think I liked it better than The Sting. :hmm:  It's certainly 30 minutes shorter.

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

celedhring

Yeah, that film is just great. A pity he's managed to crazy his way out of a long directing career.

Darth Wagtaros

Quote from: celedhring on September 06, 2015, 03:40:00 AM

Yeah, that film is just great. A pity he's managed to crazy his way out of a long directing career.
Word.
PDH!

Queequeg

Quote from: celedhring on September 06, 2015, 03:40:00 AM

Yeah.  The sacrifice scene is a personal favorite.  It really reminded me of October: Ten Days that Changed the World.  In a good way.
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

MadBurgerMaker

Watching The Lost Ship because reasons.  This is a confrontation they just had:

Bad guy:  Give me these things or I will blow you up.
Good guy: We're not giving you those things and you won't blow us up while we have them.
Bad guy: I have a nuclear powered ship and I can keep you here forever!
Good guy: We have all the food.
Bad guy executes his own dude: One less mouth to feed!
-dramatic music, commercial break-

Now.....What is that supposed to do?  Make the good guys wait long enough that he executes his whole crew?  Cmon man.

Eddie Teach

Love in the Afternoon. Audrey Hepburn. :wub:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

celedhring

The new Clash of the Titans is awful.

The Larch

Quote from: celedhring on September 07, 2015, 04:36:01 PM
The new Clash of the Titans is awful.

With such a tremendous cast...what a waste...

Ideologue

Doesn't it star Sam Worthington and Gemma Arterton? :unsure:

And Pete Postlethwaite, about two days before he died of cancer?
Kinemalogue

Darth Wagtaros

Grand Budapest Hotel. Solid.
PDH!