And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Ideologue on July 29, 2015, 04:23:26 PM
Terminator 5 is extremely bad.
Completely disagree, if Terminator 3 was a 6/10 by your standard, Genysis should be a 7.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

jimmy olsen

Quote from: frunk on July 30, 2015, 12:34:04 PM
I've just started watching Cop Rock.

Oh.  My.  God.
Eh, I think it could have worked if the songs were good.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Martinus

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on July 30, 2015, 01:28:44 PM
This stuff just writes itself:

For years the two great hosts lay encamped, each within shouting distance of another.  Between them lay the great prize: Osaka Castle.  The lord who conquered it would capture the Emperor, and thereby assure his domination over all Japan.  But the castle contained more than just the divine person of the Emperor.  It also contained a poison chalice: vast storehouses of goods and supplies.  The seizure of the storehouses would pass title of the contents to victorious army, thereby unleashing a devastating revenue recognition event.  The sheer terror of crippling tax liability enforced stalemate between the warring factions, as Japan slipped into chaos.

One warrior had the power to break the impasse.  One warrior could succeed where battalions had failed.  One warrior had the courage to dare . . . to reorganize the army and recategorize the entire siege as a leasing transaction.

The fate of Japan was in his hands.
:lol:

Syt

So they made a new Vacation movie. With Ed Helms as grown up Rusty Griswold fondly remembering his trip to Walley World as a kid. :bleeding:

Wiki:
QuoteVacation has received generally negative reviews from critics. On Rotten Tomatoes, the film has a rating of 27%, based on 81 reviews, with an average rating of 4.1/10. The site's consensus reads, "Borrowing a basic storyline from the film that inspired it but forgetting the charm, wit, and heart, Vacation is yet another nostalgia-driven retread that misses the mark."
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Savonarola

Woman in the Moon (1929)

Another Fritz Lang spectacle; this one is about spaceflight.  It has all the Fritz Lang trademarks; lavish sets and a sinister organization manipulating people.  The problem is that the film is a love triangle IN SPACE!  To make matters worse the characters are such that it's obvious how the love triangle is going to be resolved early on.  There isn't enough story to justify the 3 hour run time.  The sinister cabal feels like an add-on (as is the case in the complete print of Metropolis) and doesn't add to the story.

Sci-fi writer and rocketry advocate Willy Ley served as technical advisor on this film; it's incredibly accurate considering it was made 25 years before the space right.  It even has a countdown before the rocket launch. 
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

celedhring

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on July 30, 2015, 01:28:44 PM
This stuff just writes itself:

For years the two great hosts lay encamped, each within shouting distance of another.  Between them lay the great prize: Osaka Castle.  The lord who conquered it would capture the Emperor, and thereby assure his domination over all Japan.  But the castle contained more than just the divine person of the Emperor.  It also contained a poison chalice: vast storehouses of goods and supplies.  The seizure of the storehouses would pass title of the contents to victorious army, thereby unleashing a devastating revenue recognition event.  The sheer terror of crippling tax liability enforced stalemate between the warring factions, as Japan slipped into chaos.

One warrior had the power to break the impasse.  One warrior could succeed where battalions had failed.  One warrior had the courage to dare . . . to reorganize the army and recategorize the entire siege as a leasing transaction.

The fate of Japan was in his hands.

:lol:

You should definitely take over my job.

Syt

The real question is: who would win? Accounting Ninjas or Accounting Pirates?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7YUiBBltOg4
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Josquius

I decided to watch the first two eps of DS9. Don't think I've ever seen the first 5 minutes of it.
Its interesting to see how different it is to the later eps. Rom seems like another person.
██████
██████
██████

viper37

the characters do evolve, in contrast to TNG where they are always basically the same.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Admiral Yi

Watched the rest of Lone Survivor.  It's all watchable (though the scene in which Marky Mark hugs the cute little Afghan kid made me cringe) but nothing special.

Ideologue

Quote from: Malthus on July 30, 2015, 10:58:12 AM
Quote from: Ideologue on July 30, 2015, 10:47:47 AM
Rushmore.  10/10.  Wanted to watch Last Temptation, tho, or The Searchers.  Having a girlfriend is very restraining. :weep:

You should put a link to your movie blog in your sig.  :contract:

:)

Watched Last Temptation of Christ and 12 Angry Men last night.  8/10 and 10/10, respectively.  Love that Sidney Lumet, and that Scorsese fellow isn't bad either.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Ideologue

Quote from: jimmy olsen on July 30, 2015, 11:29:55 PM
Quote from: Ideologue on July 29, 2015, 04:23:26 PM
Terminator 5 is extremely bad.
Completely disagree, if Terminator 3 was a 6/10 by your standard, Genysis should be a 7.

No.  T3 was interesting.  I also half-regret using the word "disaster" to describe Jon Mostow, since now I don't know what to call Alan Taylor.  And look, I never saw Die Hard 5 or any of his other movies.  I was just not prepared for Jai Courtney.

Glad that once I finish the Genisys review I can move on to the M:I series, although I did not remember M:I 2 being as mediocre as it is.  I doubt it spoils anything to say that BDP's original is, like, just the best thing, however. :wub:
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Ideologue on July 31, 2015, 01:58:55 PM
I doubt it spoils anything to say that BDP's original is, like, just the best thing, however. :wub:

It was a'ight.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Ideologue

It's probably my third favorite De Palma picture.
Kinemalogue

Malthus

Re-watched the Lego Movie with my kid (his third viewing!). Still awesome. Spent my time trying to notice of all the references to other movies they use - I'm sure I'm only getting one in ten.  ;)

I caught one that I never would have got if I had not seen the reference movie recently - to illustrate how basically alone the character Emmet is, they show him having breakfast, and his "instructions" tell him to spend quality time with his "loved ones". He looks around his (empty) apartment and pulls up his houseplant, has breakfast with that next to him. The houseplant looks the same as the houseplant Leon has as his "best friend" in Leon: The Professional.   
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius