And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Savonarola

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on July 28, 2015, 01:03:41 PM
Quote from: Savonarola on July 28, 2015, 12:59:04 PM
My wife doesn't share my enthusiasm for silent movies; and she gets angry when I tell her the next plot point of "Fat Guys in the Woods" before it happens, so art films have been the best compromise.

You might also consider a second television set. ;)

I'm not made of money.   :(
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Syt

So Lex Luthor is basically Mark Zuckerberg.

That's like turning Dr Doom into an angry IT nerd. Oh, wait.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Norgy

"Falling Skies". Are they even trying?
It is so bad, yet I can't stop watching...

celedhring

Quote from: Norgy on July 29, 2015, 03:53:07 AM
"Falling Skies". Are they even trying?
It is so bad, yet I can't stop watching...

I've only watched the first season, and it was dreadful. Dunno if it gets better, though.

Grey Fox

It does not.

This is the last season, we can finally be free.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Ideologue

Terminator 5 is extremely bad.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Savonarola

Chico y Rita (2010)

Chico is the boy, Rita is the girl, they meet, and the course of true love doesn't run smooth.  You can see every plot point coming from un kilometro away in this Spanish language cartoon.  It's an entertaining film thanks largely to the many 50s era music throughout the film.  The film has some real figures from the jazz and Latin jazz era; most notably it features the final day of Chano Pozo.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

celedhring

Took up The Americans again. I had already watched the first season a couple years ago and loved it to bits, but they never got around to show the others in Spanish broadcast TV. It's now on our Netflix equivalent, though.

Gonna rewatch the first season first, to get reacquainted with the characters, and follow from there.

Liep

The Top Gear crew has signed on with Amazon Prime to make a new car show. Should make the show even crazier than it already is.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

crazy canuck

Hector and the Search for Happiness.  Great movie - but this crowd may be a bit too jaded.  :P

Ideologue

Rushmore.  10/10.  Wanted to watch Last Temptation, tho, or The Searchers.  Having a girlfriend is very restraining. :weep:
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Malthus

Quote from: Ideologue on July 30, 2015, 10:47:47 AM
Rushmore.  10/10.  Wanted to watch Last Temptation, tho, or The Searchers.  Having a girlfriend is very restraining. :weep:

You should put a link to your movie blog in your sig.  :contract:
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Savonarola

By a strange coincidence:

The Searchers (1956) :alberta:

One thing I didn't catch the first time I saw this was that the final raid by the rangers parallels the raid by the Comanche at the beginning of the film.  The dog barks in both, Aaron and Scar look out nervously and Martin and Scar snatch Debbie before the raid begins.

As always it's a fantastic film; John Wayne's best performance.

viper37

Finally, a movie I saw :P

Is that the one where John Wayne wears a very visible red shirt, stands in front of his man, on a lug or something, shooting indians with a slow rifle, hitting one with every shot while the indians keep firing at him and missing, mostly hitting the poeple hiding behind said trunk?

It might be another one, just like that.  All these westerns of the 50 and 60s tend to look alike ;)
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

The Brain

No, he stands by his man.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.