News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ideologue

For once, I agree with Berkie.

But I'll look,for that next time I see it. I preordered it a few months ago, and it arrived today.  Probably my last blu ray for some time.  I've even had to forego the Criterion sale this summer. :(  (And what a time to find out Flight of the Navigator is on BD.)
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Ideologue

Oh yeah, and speaking of Criterion, I finally saw BDP's Dressed to Kill.  Short of Blow Out, I'm convinced it must be his best 1980s effort.  Great use of his perennial surveillance theme, fun score (actual Hermann, I think), enjoyable (if offensive) every which way. 8/10.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

crazy canuck

Quote from: Ideologue on July 16, 2015, 05:47:38 PM

But I'll look,for that next time I see it. I preordered it a few months ago, and it arrived today.  Probably my last blu ray for some time.  I've even had to forego the Criterion sale this summer. :(  (And what a time to find out Flight of the Navigator is on BD.)

I would be interested in your view.  My take on it is why would they bother throwing in that last shot of her if they wanted there to be an unambiguous ending.  They could have just ended it with her going to the busy street.

Eddie Teach

The Warriors. Dumb, forgettable movie. If you've seen the taunt by Big Chin Sean Penn lookalike and the baseball/KISS crossover gang uniform, there's no need to see the rest.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Ideologue

Quote from: crazy canuck on July 16, 2015, 05:55:48 PM
Quote from: Ideologue on July 16, 2015, 05:47:38 PM

I would be interested in your view.  My take on it is why would they bother throwing in that last shot of her if they wanted there to be an unambiguous ending.  They could have just ended it with her going to the busy street.

There's certainly ambiguity regarding her ultimate fate,* but the shot itself is just Alex Garland being arty.  I like the way her reflection just disappears.  Reflections are a major motif in the film, though to what extent it forms a coherent symbolic regime, it's anyone's guess.  I suppose it's simply emblematic of how all we ever perceive of anyone else is a reflection.  If anything, Caleb being dead and the disappearance of her reflection suggests he's as dead as an MRF. :P

*To the extent that if you really think about it, she only has three options: self-termination/power-down, robohooking, or going public, the last of which will result in being detained and studied by scientists. -_-
Kinemalogue

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Syt

Trailer for The Revenant, starring Leonardo DiCaprio and Tom Hardy. This is in no way Oscar bait.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oYiT-vLjhC4
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Syt

Also: Season 2 of BoJack Horseman! :w00t:
—Stephen Jay Gould

celedhring

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on July 16, 2015, 10:20:05 PM
The Warriors. Dumb, forgettable movie. If you've seen the taunt by Big Chin Sean Penn lookalike and the baseball/KISS crossover gang uniform, there's no need to see the rest.

The film's deranged larger-than-life depiction of 70s gang life is pretty damn fun, imho. It's my favorite Manhattan-set adaptation of a Greek classic.

Cyrus' speech at the beginning is also a highlight.

The Brain

Was that guy from Twin Peaks in The Warriors?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

celedhring

Josquius

You are wrong. That movie is amazing.
██████
██████
██████

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

lustindarkness

Quote from: Tyr on July 17, 2015, 11:27:20 AM
You are wrong. That movie is amazing.

Woah! I agree with you in something?! Dafuq?
Grand Duke of Lurkdom