And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ideologue

Quote from: Savonarola on July 10, 2015, 01:42:06 PM
The Wizard of Oz (1939)

It's been a long time since I've seen this; I didn't realize Glinda the Good Witch of the North was Billy Burke (character actress in the 1930s and Florenz Ziegfeld's wife.)  I've seen a lot of films now with Margaret Hamilton; she always played a crotchety woman like Mrs. Gulch.  As the witch, though, she can give it her all; and I think she's one of the greatest villains in cinema.

What I noticed this time through was how high the production values were.  It's simply amazing how lavish the sets are.  Sometimes it's obvious they're on a stage in front of a painting; but it's still gorgeous. 

I kept imagining Judy Garland thinking, when she was surrounded by munchkins, "This is just like working with Mickey Rooney."

:)
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

celedhring

Watched Mad Max again today. My love for that movie is still unflinching. I'm gonna hate when it's off theaters and I have to see it on my telly. If there's a big screen movie, it's that one.

Ideologue

Did everyone just forget Gravity existed, or what?
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Admiral Yi

You're going full Squeelus Ide.  You never go full Squeelus.

garbon

Quote from: celedhring on July 10, 2015, 03:51:35 PM
Watched Mad Max again today. My love for that movie is still unflinching. I'm gonna hate when it's off theaters and I have to see it on my telly. If there's a big screen movie, it's that one.

I thought it was good fun, but love?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

lustindarkness

Quote from: Ideologue on July 10, 2015, 04:22:04 PM
Did everyone just forget Gravity existed, or what?

I have not floated off, so no, I have not forgotten that gravity exists.
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

lustindarkness

Quote from: garbon on July 10, 2015, 04:31:01 PM
Quote from: celedhring on July 10, 2015, 03:51:35 PM

I thought it was good fun, but love?

I love that movie too. To each his own, right?
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

Ideologue

Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 10, 2015, 04:30:07 PM
You're going full Squeelus Ide.  You never go full Squeelus.

I don't even know what that means in this context.
Kinemalogue

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Ideologue

Kinemalogue

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Ideologue on July 10, 2015, 04:52:37 PM
I don't even know what that means in this context.

It means you're going too far with the dislike popular movies and tout less popular movies thing.

Ideologue

Ok. I don't dislike Fury Road.  I think holding it up as the biggest big screen movie ever is hyperbolic, particularly when a movie that used its theatrical presentation better came out less than two years ago.
Kinemalogue

garbon

Grey Fox

Quote from: celedhring on July 10, 2015, 02:06:17 PM
Quote from: Grey Fox on July 10, 2015, 01:09:08 PM
Disney does do new things from time to time tho.

John Carter.

Book adaptation.

If we take book adaptation out, Hollywood has never done anything new.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point