News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

celedhring

I just don't think we ever see enough of a doubt or the Warboys pushing back against their leaders to suggest they resent the regime and could revolt (the populace and slaves are another thing). Frankly, they seem to enjoy the frenzied cult life quite a bit. The only Warboy that we see crossing over (Nux), does so inspired by a woman.

Malthus

It is interesting to note that once the big bad is revealed as dead, there are no loyalists to the old regime who protest about it.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

celedhring

I just hope every languishite has already seen the movie, because we are spoiling it to the nth degree, by the way.

Malthus

Quote from: celedhring on May 26, 2015, 02:49:58 PM
I just hope every languishite has already seen the movie, because we are spoiling it to the nth degree, by the way.

Heh. Mad Max isn't exactly a movie with a very surprising plot.  :lol: The fun is not what happens, but how it happens.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Berkut

Damn, I haven't seen it yet, and now I know there is a car chase??? W T F!
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

lustindarkness

I blame Yi,  he did not care for the spoiler tags.
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

celedhring

Quote from: Malthus on May 26, 2015, 02:45:39 PM
It is interesting to note that once the big bad is revealed as dead, there are no loyalists to the old regime who protest about it.

That's because they trap them at the canyon. Joe took all his strength with him to pursue Furiosa so there's only children Warboys and slaves at the Citadel (they specifically mention that). You see the higher-ups atop the citadel doubting what to do, but without Joe's army to back them, and with Joe himself dead and thus proven as not a God, they have to lower the platform.

Habbaku

That's not really surprising, though, considering the situation.  He represented himself as a god-immortal and was proven not to be.  There were a few 'loyalists' that remained (as shown by the cripple with the telescope and the guys preparing to shoot the returning group), but they swiftly saw the way the winds were blowing.  Without big bad, there is no regime.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Malthus

Quote from: Habbaku on May 26, 2015, 03:00:52 PM

That's not really surprising, though, considering the situation.  He represented himself as a god-immortal and was proven not to be.  There were a few 'loyalists' that remained (as shown by the cripple with the telescope and the guys preparing to shoot the returning group), but they swiftly saw the way the winds were blowing.  Without big bad, there is no regime.

Well, yes - this was kinda my point: that the insanity of his regime was a personal imposition of his, together with his nutso death-cult. It wasn't a statement about gender-relations more generally, or to put it another way, men vs. women: it was all held together by this one big bad.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: celedhring on May 26, 2015, 02:57:39 PM
That's because they trap them at the canyon. Joe took all his strength with him to pursue Furiosa so there's only children Warboys and slaves at the Citadel (they specifically mention that). You see the higher-ups atop the citadel doubting what to do, but without Joe's army to back them, and with Joe himself dead and thus proven as not a God, they have to lower the platform.

Six Inch Son, who was the only leadership left in the Citadel, didn't make the decision to lower the platform.  Three of the little kids did it on their own volition.

celedhring

Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 26, 2015, 04:29:32 PM
Quote from: celedhring on May 26, 2015, 02:57:39 PM

Six Inch Son, who was the only leadership left in the Citadel, didn't make the decision to lower the platform.  Three of the little kids did it on their own volition.

Fair enough, I probably don't remember that scene correctly. I had it in my mind that they were scared and went all "okay, let's surrender".

jimmy olsen

Anyone see Texas Rising? Lame voice over intro in this trailer, but the imagery and cinematography looks nice.

There's a one-two second flash of a NSFW tub scene.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lhNMwO8XQUw
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Razgovory

Man, the internet has trained me to avoid anything with the words "NSFW tub" in it.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

The Larch

Quote from: Razgovory on May 26, 2015, 06:54:55 PMMan, the internet has trained me to avoid anything with the words "NSFW tub" in it.

It's nothing at all, a naked woman on top of a man in a tub from behind. Nothing can be seen. I wouldn't label it at all. It's mostly people in western costumes reading a jingoistic letter.

Admiral Yi

Edge of Tomorrow is on in 7 minutes on HBOZN, anyone who hasn't seen it.