News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Malthus

Quote from: Queequeg on May 27, 2015, 07:56:47 PM
http://www.avclub.com/article/mad-max-fury-roads-war-boys-have-infiltrated-amazo-219994

The world's luckiest cupcake spray manufacturers.  :lol:

I'll bet they are scrambling to increase production right now. All those cosplayers!
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Ideologue

Hollywood Reporter says that Tron 3 is dead, due to a combination of Disney's purchase of Lucasfilm (and the addition of the Star Wars mega-franchise) and the box office failure of Tomorrowland.  It's good business to focus on their most financially secure brands, so I can't fault them on that, but it's a bummer, and another (albeit minor) reason to be annoyed at the ongoing consolidation of all media.

I hope Joe Kosinski latches onto something surer in the near future.  His last two projects have been Tron 3 and the Black Hole remake (which has been long-rumored but which I'm sure has evaporated for the same reasons).
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

frunk

Quote from: Ideologue on May 29, 2015, 10:02:46 PM
Hollywood Reporter says that Tron 3 is dead, due to a combination of Disney's purchase of Lucasfilm (and the addition of the Star Wars mega-franchise) and the box office failure of Tomorrowland.  It's good business to focus on their most financially secure brands, so I can't fault them on that, but it's a bummer, and another (albeit minor) reason to be annoyed at the ongoing consolidation of all media.

I hope Joe Kosinski latches onto something surer in the near future.  His last two projects have been Tron 3 and the Black Hole remake (which has been long-rumored but which I'm sure has evaporated for the same reasons).

Maybe the execs finally got around to watching Legacy.

garbon

Tomorrowland looked like it'd be butt.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

celedhring

Disney hasn't had much luck with their internal live-action releases bar those new adaptions from their classics, so I guess they're gonna sadly play it safe from now on. Tron 2 was just pretty-looking trash, so no big loss anyway.

lustindarkness

I'm in Paris which I keep hearing is the most romantic city, and CF does not want to go watch Mad Max in 3D. Romanticism is dead.
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Syt

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bS5P_LAqiVg

QuoteWhat's a rad, '80s-style cop to do when he realizes that Adolf Hitler is the worst criminal ever? Travel back in time, fight him in a karate-style fight, and make a movie about it called Kung Fury (which is also your name).

That probably sounds confusing, but what else do you expect from a Swedish writer-director who decided to make an own ode to '80s action films from the States? As director and writer David Sandberg explained back in the Kickstarter video from 2013, he started the film with $5,000 of his own money, then began the crowdfunded campaign for $200,000 which actually netted $630,019. All that extra cash was used to bring in a more adept CGI artist who helped bring the final look to the film which made it into Cannes.

The short film is now available to watch in full on YouTube and also debuted on Robert Rodriguez's El Rey Network. At this point, Sandberg's using the short to shop around a feature length version to interested parties.

So, the movie's out there for free and the soundtrack is available for purchase on iTunes, but that's not it. Kung Fury also has a webshop where fans can buy a vinyl version of the record, posters, T-shirts, and just about every combination of those in packaged deals.

Oh and did we mention that part of the aforementioned soundtrack includes the main theme "True Survivor" performed by none other than '80s pop culture icon and Knight Rider star David Hasselhoff, complete with a music video? Cause, yeah, that also happened.

If your brain is melting just a little, we're pretty sure that's normal. At least, we hope it is.

I was surprisingly underwhelmed. :hmm:

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

celedhring

I thought it had some pretty fun bits; as with any "joke-a-second" film, it has some hits and misses. It admittedly gets worse towards the end, doesn't look like they knew how to finish it.

Some of the parodies of tropes (like the hacker) are quite on point. The animated segment is pure 80s too.

Syt

Yeah, it's good at doing over the top renditions of 80s clichés: "You have to play by the rules!" "I work alone!"

But it felt more like ticking off boxes on a list. It's well done, and it has some chuckles, but it sounds better on paper than the movie delivers.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Liep

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on May 28, 2015, 04:14:38 PM
Mad Max. Every bit the spectacle I expected.

Yeah, I saw it too since everybody said good stuff about it. Highly entertaining.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Admiral Yi

"The Draft," with Kevin Costner.  A football GM makes some trades and draft picks.  That's it.  I don't see how this movie got made.

FunkMonk

Quote from: Syt on May 30, 2015, 09:25:58 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bS5P_LAqiVg

QuoteWhat's a rad, '80s-style cop to do when he realizes that Adolf Hitler is the worst criminal ever? Travel back in time, fight him in a karate-style fight, and make a movie about it called Kung Fury (which is also your name).

That probably sounds confusing, but what else do you expect from a Swedish writer-director who decided to make an own ode to '80s action films from the States? As director and writer David Sandberg explained back in the Kickstarter video from 2013, he started the film with $5,000 of his own money, then began the crowdfunded campaign for $200,000 which actually netted $630,019. All that extra cash was used to bring in a more adept CGI artist who helped bring the final look to the film which made it into Cannes.

The short film is now available to watch in full on YouTube and also debuted on Robert Rodriguez's El Rey Network. At this point, Sandberg's using the short to shop around a feature length version to interested parties.

So, the movie's out there for free and the soundtrack is available for purchase on iTunes, but that's not it. Kung Fury also has a webshop where fans can buy a vinyl version of the record, posters, T-shirts, and just about every combination of those in packaged deals.

Oh and did we mention that part of the aforementioned soundtrack includes the main theme "True Survivor" performed by none other than '80s pop culture icon and Knight Rider star David Hasselhoff, complete with a music video? Cause, yeah, that also happened.

If your brain is melting just a little, we're pretty sure that's normal. At least, we hope it is.

I was surprisingly underwhelmed. :hmm:

:lol:
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Syt

—Stephen Jay Gould

celedhring

Quote from: Syt on May 31, 2015, 12:24:06 PM
An article about the computer FX work on Mad Max: Fury Road:

http://www.fxguide.com/featured/a-graphic-tale-the-visual-effects-of-mad-max-fury-road/

Thanks, it's a great read. Certainly FX is an art in itself. Some top work in there; I wouldn't have guessed so much of the rock outcroppings were actually FX.