News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

celedhring

Quote from: The Larch on May 23, 2015, 04:02:39 AM
I finally watched Mad Max last night. What a lovely day. There was one guy in the credits tasked with "Wheels and skulls" or somesuch. Says everything about the movie that you want to know.

It is fantastic. Gotta see it again at some point.

Also in the credits I caught the fact that the dwarf son of Immortan Joe is called "Corpus Colossus".

Syt

Just watched Mad Max. Amazing, hilarious and awesome. In its production design and visuals almost and arthouse film. It gives us Max as a myth, the nameless wanderer of many tales who walks the Earth and recants his selfish ways to aid the righteous against the wicked.

George Miller shows amazing energy and verve, and blows young whippersnappers like Michael Bay or Roland Emmerich (okay, Emmerich is not that young anymore) straight out of the water and shows them how to do a proper summer action flick. And there's so many nice touches, large and small, it's a masterpiece.

Also, I feel like I want to install Rage again.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Ideologue

Michael Bay is 50.  I guess he's pretty young in comparison to the septuagenarian George Miller. :P
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Syt

Quote from: Ideologue on May 23, 2015, 11:33:21 AM
Michael Bay is 50.  I guess he's pretty young in comparison to the septuagenarian George Miller. :P

He had his breakthrough in the 90s, so he's new to me.  :P

*grumpyoldman*
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Ideologue

I will say one of the more amazing things about Fury Road is that a 70 year old man directed it.  On a purely physical level--it was 120 day shoot in Namibia, as I understand it--that's pretty impressive.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

lustindarkness

Quote from: Ideologue on May 23, 2015, 11:38:56 AM
I will say one of the more amazing things about Fury Road is that a 70 year old man directed it.  On a purely physical level--it was 120 day shoot in Namibia, as I understand it--that's pretty impressive.

Wow, that is pretty awesome.
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

celedhring

When I grow old I want to be George Miller. That film has so much energy and inventiveness.

I love how a 70 year old finally unleashed what enfant terribles like Snyder or Bay have been trying to do for ages. The perfect over-stylized action film that grabs you by the neck and never lets go.

Ideologue

Kinemalogue

Admiral Yi

Rewatched a chunk of "This is Where I Leave You" last night and I think it makes it into the B range.  Some good moments.

However, casting Tina Fey in a role that requires crying is not a good idea.

Habbaku

Quote from: Ideologue on May 23, 2015, 03:02:43 PM
Quote from: Ideologue on May 21, 2015, 12:56:18 PM
Currently piqued for Tomorrowland, tho.

Oh well.

No good?  I was cautiously optimistic about that one.  :(
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Ideologue

Quote from: Habbaku on May 23, 2015, 03:43:41 PM

Oh well.

Oh, it's perfectly fine.  "Oh well" probably seems more negative than it should since I was actively enthusiastic about it.  It's a decent kids' adventure with Brad Bird's usual fawning over ubermenschen, albeit this time the question is at least less what we owe our betters than what our betters owe us.
Kinemalogue

celedhring

Quote from: Ideologue on May 23, 2015, 05:19:01 PM
Quote from: Habbaku on May 23, 2015, 03:43:41 PM

Oh well.

Oh, it's perfectly fine.  "Oh well" probably seems more negative than it should since I was actively enthusiastic about it.  It's a decent kids' adventure with Brad Bird's usual fawning over ubermenschen, albeit this time the question is at least less what we owe our betters than what our betters owe us.

I love the Incredibles, but damn that film has some uncomfortable Randian undertones.

Josquius

Old Boy (US)- It has been a long time since I saw the Korean movie. I heard of this remake a while back but only just saw it.
Its...OK....But I really can't think how the Korean movie worked out. At all. I remember some basics, Some scenes. But not much,. Was the ending so bad as this one? Though it is alright, albeit silly, overall
██████
██████
██████

Caliga

Saw Fury Road today.  Agree with all of the A+ ratings.

Interestingly, my brother and Princesca both bitched about the heavy metal truck, but I thought it was awesome. :punk:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Josquius

But.... It looks so bad... How can it be so excellent? :o
██████
██████
██████