News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

It was also a nice break from action movies of recent years that talk and talk and talk to explain their concepts and why they do what. MM:FR does much more visual story telling and goes back to the old adage, "Show, don't tell." It's very light on dialogue.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

celedhring

I love how light on plot it is, actually, while still managing to tell a compelling story. Most action films are so needlessly convoluted nowadays.

Syt

It's a pretty straightforward, classic story - outsider comes to place. He learns the rules of the new place, then helps against a threat from within or without. This transforms both the place and himself. It's pretty archaic and therefore accessible on a very basic level.

It's a classic trope in myths and legends, but also e.g. Westerns.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Tyr on May 25, 2015, 03:10:25 AM
But.... It looks so bad... How can it be so excellent? :o

I haven't seen it yet, but I think it looks pretty cool. If the trailer didn't grab you, maybe you won't like it? /shrug
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Malthus

Quote from: Caliga on May 24, 2015, 03:50:07 PM
Saw Fury Road today.  Agree with all of the A+ ratings.

Interestingly, my brother and Princesca both bitched about the heavy metal truck, but I thought it was awesome. :punk:

You either enjoy the over-the-topness, or you don't. They certainly were not trying to hide it, with a flamethrower-spouting electric guitar marionette dude.  :D

Me, I enjoyed it for what it was. Sure none of it made any sense, but who the fuck cares? It was a visual feast. Time spent in-movie making sense of it would be time wasted. Who wants to see a realistic post-apocalyptic distopia? That would just be depressing.  :lol: Might as well be watching The Road.

My favorite thing about the movie was that the makers took care to add wierd little details just for the WTF factor - like those stilt-walking Hieronymus Bosch dudes in the marsh (blink and you miss them). 
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Syt

I just know that when the movie comes out on blu ray I will spend a lot of time pausing it and trying to take in all details. It's one of those movies you can watch ten times and still discover new crazy shit going on that you missed before.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Malthus

Oh yeah - Fury Road has to be the most awesome depiction of a divorce ever:D

"All this over a family squabble".
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Malthus

Quote from: Syt on May 25, 2015, 09:12:19 AM
I just know that when the movie comes out on blu ray I will spend a lot of time pausing it and trying to take in all details. It's one of those movies you can watch ten times and still discover new crazy shit going on that you missed before.

I agree wholeheartedly. The makers obviously put a lot of love into the WTF details.

Even the pattern on the inside of the roof of the main vehicle was awesome.

Evidently, in the post-apocalyptic wasteland, people will have a lot of time for craftsmanship.  :D

Syt

They will have a lot of time between waiting for water handouts and war raids. Also, they clearly take religious pride in their cars. :P

Re: the visuals: a few times I felt somewhat reminded of Lynch's Dune, especially with some of the body horror. I also had to think of Burntime (even though that has no cars in it IIRC).
—Stephen Jay Gould

Syt

Btw, it's sad that a movie set in the bleak post-apocalypse is MUCH MORE COLORFUL than a Superman movie. :P

—Stephen Jay Gould

celedhring

I read somewhere that Miller hates all those washed out movies, and tried to avoid that look entirely.

Malthus

Quote from: Syt on May 25, 2015, 09:32:30 AM
Btw, it's sad that a movie set in the bleak post-apocalypse is MUCH MORE COLORFUL than a Superman movie. :P

:lol:

Syt

Quote from: celedhring on May 25, 2015, 09:34:34 AM
I read somewhere that Miller hates all those washed out movies, and tried to avoid that look entirely.

I can understand that. It seems that ever since Saving Private Ryan (possibly earlier?), which used the contrast between muted colors in WW2 and saturated colors for present day to good effect, washed out colors have become lazy shorthand for serious & gritty.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Syt

Also, flame throwing guitar truck: everything worked - guitar, amps, drums, flame thrower ... (The guy is called "Coma the Doof Warrior" :lol: )

Interview with production designer Colin Gibson on the topic:

http://www.mtv.com/news/2161513/mad-max-fury-road-guitar-player-doof-warrior-colin-gibson/

—Stephen Jay Gould

crazy canuck

Quote from: Caliga on May 24, 2015, 03:50:07 PM
Interestingly, my brother and Princesca both bitched about the heavy metal truck, but I thought it was awesome. :punk:

When I saw that roll out at the beginning of the film I knew it was going to be incredible.