And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Sheilbh on April 20, 2015, 03:54:48 PM
Quote from: Ideologue on April 20, 2015, 03:51:47 PM
Btw, S, do British people really say "Brilliant" fifty times a day and "Bloody hell" at least a dozen, like they do in the Potter movies?
Yes. It's a very grating country.
For some reason this made my day.  :lol:
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Malthus on April 20, 2015, 03:56:29 PM
The most frightening British children's film of all time remains Watership Down.

A cute animated film about little bunnies in the buccolic English countryside, with watercolour hand-painted backgrounds - and totally horrifying.  :lol:
I heard the BBC is thinking of remaking this with computer animation.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Eddie Teach

I'd be more impressed with a live action version.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

FunkMonk

Btw, S, do British people really say "Brilliant" fifty times a day and "Bloody hell" at least a dozen, like they do in the Potter movies?

Bloody hell
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

KRonn

Blimey mate!

Ideologue

I say "God blind me" sometimes.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Liep

Full House is coming back on Netflix in 2016 as Fuller House. Hmm...
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Malthus

Quote from: jimmy olsen on April 20, 2015, 05:57:22 PM
Quote from: Malthus on April 20, 2015, 03:56:29 PM
The most frightening British children's film of all time remains Watership Down.

A cute animated film about little bunnies in the buccolic English countryside, with watercolour hand-painted backgrounds - and totally horrifying.  :lol:
I heard the BBC is thinking of remaking this with computer animation.

Yes, I read that too.

Remaking a classic movie with hand-drawn watercolour animation ... with CGI. What can possibly go wrong?  ;)

Seems to me, either they remake it with all the violence/horror elements ... or they tone it down. Either way is risky.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Malthus

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on April 20, 2015, 06:01:36 PM
I'd be more impressed with a live action version.

Too bad CdM isn't around. He'd make an excellent "Bigwig" in his bunny suit.  ;)
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Syt

Quote from: Syt on April 20, 2015, 04:28:07 AM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on April 20, 2015, 04:00:45 AM
Quote from: Ideologue on April 20, 2015, 03:50:48 AM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on April 20, 2015, 03:26:42 AM
Bought a ticket for Avengers: Age of Ultron. Going be seeing the 8pm Thursday showing. :)

:)  That is pretty soon, ain't it?
Three days for me, ten for you! :P
First screenings here are on Wednesdays, but unless you want shitty seats in one of the three English language theaters they're pretty much sold out. I'll probably go on the weekend.

Friday 6pm in IMAX it is. :)
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Admiral Yi

Rewatched bits and pieces of "42" last night.  The Cincinnati scene still chokes me up.

Learned that number 42 was retired by all MLB teams.  Did you guys know that?

Syt

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 21, 2015, 12:45:52 PM
Rewatched bits and pieces of "42" last night.  The Cincinnati scene still chokes me up.

Learned that number 42 was retired by all MLB teams.  Did you guys know that?

Except for a few active players who were still using the number. Mariano Rivera was the last one.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

celedhring

Just watched the Little Prince trailer. The actual Little Prince bits look pretty great and I like the animation style, the framing Pixar-ripoff story... not so much.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fEPqgSNLfK8

Syt

Some of my former English colleagues used the word "lovely" excessively.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Eddie Teach

Battle Royale. Watchable.

I know some of you compared Hunger Games unfavorably to this, but at least HG had a rationale that was better than "wouldn't it be cool to have kids fight to the death" (BR had some retarded shit about children being disrespectful as the reason to have a random class kill each other). The Hunger Games replace the Minotaur, but both those stories are about a powerful, bloodthirsty state ruling their neighbors through fear. You may not buy it, especially in a near future setting, but it is a better pretext than "just because".
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?