News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

frunk

Life Itself, the Roger Ebert Documentary.  I teared up a couple of times.  Don't watch if you have any body horror issues.

[spoiler]Ebert had thyroid cancer and cancer in his lower jaw, so the bone and interior of his mouth is completely removed.  There's just a slab of flesh hanging down loosely approximating the lower half of his face.  He still had some muscle control over it, which is seriously freaky.[/spoiler]

Malthus

Quote from: frunk on April 13, 2015, 01:53:36 PM
Life Itself, the Roger Ebert Documentary.  I teared up a couple of times.  Don't watch if you have any body horror issues.

[spoiler]Ebert had thyroid cancer and cancer in his lower jaw, so the bone and interior of his mouth is completely removed.  There's just a slab of flesh hanging down loosely approximating the lower half of his face.  He still had some muscle control over it, which is seriously freaky.[/spoiler]

Ugg. How long did he live after that?

Speaking of body horror - I was pretty squigged out when I was visiting a Mayan archaeological site (Yaxchillan) by the loving depictions on lintels of the rituals the Mayan elite would engage in - namely, ultra-painful bloodletting to summon up ancestor spirits.

For women it was bad enough - they stuck stingray spines through their tounges and then dragged ropes with thorns through the hole - but for men it was worse: they did the same - only through their dicks!  :pinch:

Fortunately, they only actually showed the women's version of the ritual ...
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

frunk

Quote from: Malthus on April 13, 2015, 02:40:38 PM
Ugg. How long did he live after that?

It sounds like it got progressively worse and worse from 2006 until he died in 2013.

citizen k

The season premiere of Turn was good, especially at the end when Simcoe take's charge of the Queen's Rangers.

Martinus

Quote from: frunk on April 13, 2015, 01:53:36 PM

I think the spoiler tagging is getting out of hand.  :lol:

What's next?

I watched Passion last night. [spoiler]Jesus dies[/spoiler]

Liep

I just caught a random episode of Family Guy and the straight-to-DVD-disney movie "Aladdin 4 - Jaffar may need glasses" non sequitur is my favourite Family Guy moment ever.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

celedhring

Quote from: Liep on April 14, 2015, 12:53:22 PM
I just caught a random episode of Family Guy and the straight-to-DVD-disney movie "Aladdin 4 - Jaffar may need glasses" non sequitur is my favourite Family Guy moment ever.

Just youtubed it. By chance I just had my eyesight checked today, too. :lmfao:

It's fucking annoying man. I'M NOT SURE WHICH ONE IS BETTER THEY ARE TOO SIMILAR DAMMIT.

KRonn

Quote from: citizen k on April 14, 2015, 01:34:22 AM
The season premiere of Turn was good, especially at the end when Simcoe take's charge of the Queen's Rangers.
Very good season 2 premiere. I like this show and the characters. I expected that of Simcoe given how he expected there to be discontent at a new officer. Simcoe was awesome there. That actordid a great job at being the antagonist in season one, and it looks like he'll be more of the same.

Syt

Quote from: Malthus on April 07, 2015, 01:23:27 PM
Quote from: KRonn on April 07, 2015, 01:06:53 PM
Quote from: Tonitrus on April 07, 2015, 01:21:42 AM
Better Call Saul finale...

[spoiler]I'll watch it again, and maybe it just took a very roundabout way of getting there, but I'm not sure I bought his "fall to the darkside" at the end.  It seemed to kinda slouch its way there instead of a properly dramatic collapse.[/spoiler]

Yeah, I wasn't really sure how he made the [spoiler] decision to go the darkside when he had a great opportunity to work for that company. But I guess we can see it's his nature to go the darkside as we saw him running the scams with his pal, and I think he felt he could get into some, or start some, big time scams as a lawyer. And I'm thinking that he didn't really trust the big law firms to treat him right, plus he probably wanted the freedom to do as he wanted rather than be more constrained wile working for a law firm. [/spoiler]

My guess was [spoiler]that he had genuinely attempted to 'come clean" in part in order to win his brother's approval - and seeing how THAT worked out, he no longer saw any particular point to it - his brother saw him as scum no matter what he did; also, the psychological damage of that rejection made him internalize the reason for it.

Hence the interaction with Mike, where Mike relates his reason for not taking half of the $1.8 million when he had the chance: Mike's "professional ethics" (for lack of a better term). Jimmy states he simply lacks any reason to "do the right thing" anymore. [/spoiler]

I see it similarly. [spoiler]However, after going back to Chicago for one last con run with Mario he realizes that he's a much better con man than lawyer, and I have a feeling he doesn't care much for the politics involved in the big law firms. He thought becoming a lawyer would make his brother, whom he always admired and looked up to, proud. But he has realized that to his brother he'd always been a travesty and a joke, and Chuck didn't even have the guts to tell him to his face and instead had Hamlin do it for him while pretending to be supportive.[/spoiler]

Overall I liked the series. Yes, it's much more low key and the stakes aren't life and death at every turn, but I find it works really well as a prequel series so far and I definitely look forward to more of this. If I had any complaints it's that it's trying to find its footing between goofy and serious.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Valmy

Quote from: Martinus on April 14, 2015, 02:13:54 AM

Yeah but they [spoiler]bring him back in the sequel.[/spoiler]
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Martinus

They cut it out like they did with Lady Stoneheart. Shit was too high fantasy.

Josephus

Quote from: Valmy on April 14, 2015, 01:29:54 PM

There was a sequel? Missed that. Was it as gory?
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Malthus

Quote from: Josephus on April 14, 2015, 04:54:15 PM
Quote from: Valmy on April 14, 2015, 01:29:54 PM

There was a sequel? Missed that. Was it as gory?

It's gonna be.

They issued a teaser trailer under the title "Revelation", but the actual sequel has been stuck in development for centuries.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Josephus

Revelation would be cool.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Barrister

Revelation has already come out - it's a trippy little book that fringe wingnuts love for some reason.

It's the sequel, unoriginally called, the Second Coming, that has been stuck in development hell for centuries.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.