News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ideologue

It'd have to be better by default, then.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

celedhring

The whole trucking business is pretty awesome, but be ready for some pretty non-great vignettes at the beginning showcasing the character's backstories.

Ideologue

I don't even know why a movie like that needs backstories.  The Thing didn't need backstories.  You just show their personalities in action, and you've got a film... that tanks at the box office, I guess, but people remember and love like almost nothing else.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

celedhring

The Sony hackers have leaked some emails between the producers of the failed Steve Jobs film, and it's glorious. I guess people of their position should be smarter than to put this kind of things on email.

http://defamer.gawker.com/leaked-the-nightmare-email-drama-behind-sonys-steve-jo-1668882936/+laceydonohue

Martinus

Quote from: celedhring on December 10, 2014, 04:09:27 AM
The Sony hackers have leaked some emails between the producers of the failed Steve Jobs film, and it's glorious. I guess people of their position should be smarter than to put this kind of things on email.

http://defamer.gawker.com/leaked-the-nightmare-email-drama-behind-sonys-steve-jo-1668882936/+laceydonohue

Meh, I don't see anything in these emails that is grossly out-of-order. I don't like this new culture we are in, when reading other people's private correspondence is suddenly acceptable. In the past, when people communicated by post, would it be fine to make fun of things people wrote in their private letters after somebody has stolen them?

celedhring

I'm more interested on how people in charge of a large business operation put all this potentially harming stuff for their own interests (will Angelina Jolie want to work with these people after reading this? Or his husband), in such an unsafe and easily reproduced media as an email. That's the kind of stuff that could have easily been dealt with with a couple calls.

People think of email as traditional post, but it isn't. It leaves such a trail that any offended party can easily use it against you.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Martinus on December 10, 2014, 05:11:28 AM
In the past, when people communicated by post, would it be fine to make fun of things people wrote in their private letters after somebody has stolen them?
....Yes.
Let's bomb Russia!

Malthus

Quote from: Martinus on December 10, 2014, 05:11:28 AM
Quote from: celedhring on December 10, 2014, 04:09:27 AM

Meh, I don't see anything in these emails that is grossly out-of-order. I don't like this new culture we are in, when reading other people's private correspondence is suddenly acceptable. In the past, when people communicated by post, would it be fine to make fun of things people wrote in their private letters after somebody has stolen them?

The British had a field day with Napoleon, doing exactly that ...  ;)

http://mentalfloss.com/article/31173/10-lines-napoleons-love-letters-sound-crazy-texts
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Sheilbh

Let's bomb Russia!

Ideologue

Is it like One Missed Call? :hmm:

I forgot to mention I watched Ju-on and Ring as backgrounders on The Ring. Ring isn't remotely great, and is kind of only barely good. (B) Ju-on is actually a fair amount of fun. (B+)
Kinemalogue

Sheilbh

No. Burt Lancaster and Barbara Stanwyck (costumes by Edith Head). Highly recommended but I wouldn't want to ruin anything.

I liked One Missed Call a lot. Watched it with friends and very nearly wet myself when someone's phone went off half way through.
Let's bomb Russia!

Ideologue

I kind of want to get The Swimmer on blu-ray. :blush: I think you'd like that one, Sheilbh. It's about how the American bourgeoisie is horrible and hollow and deluded and fragile.

I may be the only person who's seen The Swimmer but possibly no other Lancaster movie at all. :(
Kinemalogue

celedhring

Quote from: Sheilbh on December 10, 2014, 11:49:51 AM
Sorry, Wrong Number.

A.

Great noir. I'm a firm believer that Lancaster has one of the most outstanding bodies of work out there; the number of great films he starred in is absurd.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Ideologue on December 10, 2014, 12:37:09 PM
I may be the only person who's seen The Swimmer but possibly no other Lancaster movie at all. :(

You've never seen From Here to Eternity?  :huh:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Ideologue

Kinemalogue