And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ideologue

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on December 03, 2014, 07:01:26 PM
Quote from: Ideologue on December 03, 2014, 06:05:23 PM
Sam Jones' understated turn is undervalued, too. 

It's throwaway comments like this that make Ide's reviews worth the price of entry for the comedy gold they return.

He draws the viewer in.  Why can't we all work together to overthrow Ming?  Because we've been played against one another for so long.  He's pretty great as the outsider who sees clearly. :)
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

The Minsky Moment

Little known fact: Sam Jones was sued in a trademark case by the Lumber Industry of America for his performance in Flash, due to his uncanny impersonation of a wooden board.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Siege

Whoa, Minsky have a sense of humor?

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Ideologue

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on December 03, 2014, 07:07:04 PM
Little known fact: Sam Jones was sued in a trademark case by the Lumber Industry of America for his performance in Flash, due to his uncanny impersonation of a wooden board.

You think Batman is better than Superman, don't you?  You know, because he's "deep" and "complex."

Not every hero has to have layers and tragedy and blah blah blah.  Nor do I argue Jones is a good actor.  But like Stanley Kubrick with Ryan O'Neal, Mike Hodges turned Jones' disabilities as an actor into an advantage for the character.

The point is, Flash Gordon is a two-dimensional cartoon, and Sam Jones plays him thus; this is to the good, because then the straightforward message of the tale is communicated clearly.  It also lets the morality play stay out of the way of the true point of the film, which is the visual splendor of expending exorbitant amounts of cash for amped-up serial-style production and costume design rendered in some of the most glorious Technicolor ever seen.

Of course, you have said, in essence, that you hate visuals if they're not "supported" by a "complex" and "realistic" story.  Well, they've invented a new medium just for you, Joan.  It's called "the book." :P

I kid you, old soul.  You're a good egg.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Ideologue on December 03, 2014, 07:06:44 PM

It's throwaway comments like this that make Ide's reviews worth the price of entry for the comedy gold they return.

He draws the viewer in.  Why can't we all work together to overthrow Ming?  Because we've been played against one another for so long.  He's pretty great as the outsider who sees clearly. :)

"Pee Wee Herman's baroque and poetic performance in Pee Wee's Big Adventure is a tour de force of raw emotive draw in the best tradition of Stanislavski."

Scipio

I cannot help but admit that I love Flash Gordon and John Carter.

I also liked Ironclad, although historically speaking it's highly offensive, like Gladiator, Dances with Muslims, and Braveheart.

Some movies are just outside of aesthetic judgment. When something plumbs the depths of bathos, and the heights of narcissism at the same time, and produces a wretchedly awesome spectacle, it's like watching a pizza delivery man wake up from an 18 year coma and dance a jig.

He's a man who managed to bring joy to everyone he ever met.

Except the haters. Fuck the haters.
What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

11B4V

Quote from: CountDeMoney on December 03, 2014, 07:15:00 PM
Quote from: Ideologue on December 03, 2014, 07:06:44 PM

"Pee Wee Herman's baroque and poetic performance in Pee Wee's Big Adventure is a tour de force of raw emotive draw in the best tradition of Stanislavski."

Fuck it I think I'll revisit "The Prisoner" series. The original not the newer assburger one.

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Admiral Yi

Was Ironclad the movie in which the handsome Templar defeats King John and his evil Danish mercenaries?

That was definitely quite bad.

11B4V

Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 03, 2014, 07:21:16 PM
Was Ironclad the movie in which the handsome Templar defeats King John and his evil Danish mercenaries?

That was definitely quite bad.

Couldn't roll with that one.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

The Minsky Moment

Seeing Flash Gordon is one of my strongest childhood memories.
My grandfather took me.  It was in one of these old-time baroque movie palaces like an opera house.  Uptown.  You paid your general admission and went in whenever.  The clientele was to sort that like to talk to the screen.  Loudly and demonstratively.  That with Queen echoing through the massive room.  Fun times.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

CountDeMoney

Quote from: 11B4V on December 03, 2014, 07:20:23 PM
Fuck it I think I'll revisit "The Prisoner" series. The original not the newer assburger one.

I watch "Get Smart" reruns. :smarty:  :P

NOT THE CRAW...THE CRAW!

http://youtu.be/ftgAG3Vnif8

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Ideologue on December 03, 2014, 07:13:46 PM
Quote from: The Minsky Moment on December 03, 2014, 07:07:04 PM

You think Batman is better than Superman, don't you?  You know, because he's "deep" and "complex."

Don't be silly.  I don't do comparative depth measurements of comic book characters, my calipers aren't that precise.
--Joan Robinson

Josephus

Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

CountDeMoney

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Ideologue on December 03, 2014, 07:13:46 PM
You think Batman is better than Superman, don't you? 

Doesn't everybody?
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?