News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 03, 2014, 05:21:50 PM
Flash Gordon is very, very easy to dislike.  Bad acting, bad costumes (except the jailbait lycra) bad sets, bad dialogue, bad action...

It's awesome if you're 10 years old in 1980 and you're home from school sick, and it's the only thing on HBO.  If you're an adult, it's not.  Ide loves it because he thinks he sees irony where there really isn't any.  And he's 10 years old.

Admiral Yi

FYI, for those of you who have not seen Ted, the Marky Mark movie about a talking teddy bear, enduring love for Flash Gordon is one of the major motifs.  And it features a brilliant cameo by Sam Jones.

Siege

Flash Gordon was amazing for the times.
The song by Queen was epic.
Of course, there is no way I'm going to watch it these days.

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 03, 2014, 05:33:13 PM
FYI, for those of you who have not seen Ted, the Marky Mark movie about a talking teddy bear, enduring love for Flash Gordon is one of the major motifs.  And it features a brilliant cameo by Sam Jones.

I did not know about this--

QuoteIn 1975, prior to his first screen roles, Jones appeared as a nude centrefold for Playgirl magazine, under the name Andrew Cooper III.[1] He made his first film appearance opposite Bo Derek in the 1979 romantic comedy film 10.[2]

His appearance in 10 allowed Jones to beat out actors such as Kurt Russell and Arnold Schwarzenegger to his most famous role to date, that of Flash Gordon

Can you imagine how that would've turned out with Kurt Russell?  It could've been Big Trouble in Little Mongo.

lustindarkness

Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 03, 2014, 05:33:13 PM

That is a funny movie.
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

Ideologue

Quote from: CountDeMoney on December 03, 2014, 05:30:57 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 03, 2014, 05:21:50 PM
Flash Gordon is very, very easy to dislike.  Bad acting, bad costumes (except the jailbait lycra) bad sets, bad dialogue, bad action...

It's awesome if you're 10 years old in 1980 and you're home from school sick, and it's the only thing on HBO.  If you're an adult, it's not.  Ide loves it because he thinks he sees irony where there really isn't any.  And he's 10 years old.

I don't think it's ironic nor love Flash Gordon ironically.  I love it for its unparalleled achievements in the fields of production and costume design.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Ideologue

Quote from: lustindarkness on December 03, 2014, 05:29:59 PM
Ide, if it makes you feel any better, I really enjoyed John Carter and in my opinion it is a great film.
:)
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Siege

Did he just say unparalleled achievement?

Siege

John Carter was my favor Disney movie of 2013.
Wolverine's girlfriend was brilliant in that movie.

Ideologue

Quote from: Siege on December 03, 2014, 05:41:56 PM
Did he just say unparalleled achievement?

I don't know.  Let's check.
Kinemalogue

Ideologue

Kinemalogue

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Ideologue on December 03, 2014, 05:40:18 PM
I don't think it's ironic nor love Flash Gordon ironically.  I love it for its unparalleled achievements in the fields of production and costume design.

But they sucked.  The only decent thing was that it stayed loyal to the futuristic art deco motif of the comics and theater series, with sound stage model spaceships complete with sparklers.  :lol: 

Ideologue

I think you're overlooking the most important part: the colors. :)

Reds and golds and greens. :wub:
Kinemalogue

The Larch

Nobody mentioned yet the absolutely hamtastic performances of Max von Sidow, Timothy Dalton and BRIAN BLESSED?

katmai

Quote from: Ideologue on December 03, 2014, 05:56:50 PM
I think you're overlooking the most important part: the colors. :)

Reds and golds and greens. :wub:
you know how I know you're gay?
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son