And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ideologue

But you've made so many new ones.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Ed Anger

Quote from: Ideologue on November 30, 2014, 03:59:27 PM

Mine I like. Hell is other peoples.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Ideologue

You are the Father of Nations. :)
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Ideologue

Quote from: Martinus on November 30, 2014, 03:40:57 PM
Watched "How To Train Your Dragon 2".

Enjoyable. Given that I liked that, Frozen, Brave and Madagascar 3, perhaps I should switch to animation now?  :huh:

On a cinematic level, HTTYD2 is the best animated film since Tangled, probably; on a story level, it's one of the most thrown-together (and cynically thrown-together) things I've seen all year.  I wish they'd stuck with their original treatment with a villainous Valka, and maybe dialed it back a little on the impenetrable dragon mythology along with the toy advertisements.
Kinemalogue

Admiral Yi

Started watching Frozen last night.  Boring.  Turned off.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Ed Anger on November 30, 2014, 04:01:15 PM

Your kids just kick the back of other peoples' seats instead.  You're That Family.

Martinus

Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 30, 2014, 04:12:15 PM
Started watching Frozen last night.  Boring.  Turned off.
Surprised you'd hate the most heavy-handed metaphor for lesbianism in cinema.

Let it go.

Martinus

Quote from: CountDeMoney on November 30, 2014, 04:29:15 PM

Your kids just kick the back of other peoples' seats instead.  You're That Family.

I hate them.

Ed Anger

Quote from: CountDeMoney on November 30, 2014, 04:29:15 PM

:moon:
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Martinus on November 30, 2014, 04:35:06 PM
Surprised you'd hate the most heavy-handed metaphor for lesbianism in cinema.

Let it go.

I did.

katmai

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

CountDeMoney

Quote from: katmai on November 30, 2014, 04:58:08 PM
Ide sucks.

Well, waiting until now to finally see Poltergeist isn't exactly out of character for him.

Ideologue

Quote from: CountDeMoney on November 30, 2014, 05:02:29 PM
Quote from: katmai on November 30, 2014, 04:58:08 PM
Ide sucks.

Well, waiting until now to finally see Poltergeist isn't exactly out of character for him.

Not my fault.

I also waited too long to see The Descent (2005), which is extra-special awesome, and I can see why some folk describe it as the best horror movie of the past twenty-odd years.  A+  The nice thing about fixing giant blind spots in one's film education, is that every movie you watch in redressing the problem stands a good chance of being a super-classic. :)
Kinemalogue

Ideologue

So my local art house is doing a My Bloody Valentine screening in January.  The heart is in the right place (ha ha), because that's one of the best slashers ever made and in point of the fact the single best I've seen (unless you're a pedant and count Psycho).  But I was dubious that it would be a proper big screen presentation--I don't think they even have the equipment to handle 35mm (of which only one print of the uncut Valentine exists anyway) and to the best of my knowledge it was never converted into a file that could be carted around the country on a hard drive for super-HD digital projection.  I reckoned, then, that it would be at least a blu-ray screening.  Of coruse, I was wrong, and they're showing a DVD.  Christ, is that weak.  Maybe I'll see if it's legally ok for them to borrow my blu-ray. :lol:

They also have failed to manage to acquire Whiplash or The Babadook.  My local art house sucks.
Kinemalogue