News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Malthus

Quote from: Syt on November 18, 2014, 12:56:23 AM

I've seen Die Brücke. It's a classic in Germany, and not few school classes watch it as part of history class, or at least they did in my time. I've heard and read about Come And See, but I'm not sure it's a movie I'd want to watch, because it sounds just too unpleasant (which, obviously, is the point).

Come and See is indeed horrifying. It straddles the war and horror genres, with a good deal of surrealism thrown in. Pure nightmare fuel, and worst part is, knowing that the horrors it portrays are mostly accurate.

Well worth seeing though - both in its own right and because it was very influential on other film-makers. For example, its influence on the "Normandy landing" scene in Saving Private Ryan is clearly substantial.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

The Larch

Quote from: Syt on November 18, 2014, 09:13:58 AM
The Austrian satirical TV show Braunschlag which had 8 episodes and is the biggest local TV success in over two decades is getting an American version (or at least a pilot for now), starring Rob Riggle. The series was about a small village in Austria, trying everything they can to boost tourist attractiveness, and it was VERY surreal and quite dark at times.

Or as an online comment puts it:

QuoteBut it's so deeply Austrian (in every aspect), that I can not (yet) imagine how it would translate to an US-network show. It lives from its absurdity, the amount of national stars and a very dark humoristic view on a lot that happened in Austria over the past few years (some of that has been worldwide news, sadly).

Sounds a bit like Parks & Recreation.

Sheilbh

Mixed with League of Gentlemen.
Let's bomb Russia!

The Brain

Saw Come and See many years ago. I thought it was great. Don't know what I'd think today.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Ideologue

Quote from: Sheilbh on November 18, 2014, 09:47:57 AM

There's a cool heist and a man getting blackmailed for violations of the sodomy laws? :unsure:
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Ideologue

Quote from: Malthus on November 18, 2014, 09:29:29 AM
Quote from: Syt on November 18, 2014, 12:56:23 AM

I've seen Die Brücke. It's a classic in Germany, and not few school classes watch it as part of history class, or at least they did in my time. I've heard and read about Come And See, but I'm not sure it's a movie I'd want to watch, because it sounds just too unpleasant (which, obviously, is the point).

Come and See is indeed horrifying. It straddles the war and horror genres, with a good deal of surrealism thrown in. Pure nightmare fuel, and worst part is, knowing that the horrors it portrays are mostly accurate.

Well worth seeing though - both in its own right and because it was very influential on other film-makers. For example, its influence on the "Normandy landing" scene in Saving Private Ryan is clearly substantial.

On a scale of 1 to 10, 10 being elegant and powerful, and 1 being Fury, how would you rate Come and See?
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Sheilbh

Let's bomb Russia!

Syt

Quote from: Ideologue on November 18, 2014, 12:18:14 PM
Quote from: Sheilbh on November 18, 2014, 09:47:57 AM

There's a cool heist and a man getting blackmailed for violations of the sodomy laws? :unsure:

From Austrian TV's site:

QuoteBraunschlag is a more or less idyllic place in Austria, whose inhabitants are a league of their own. Among others there's a former beauty queen, a UFO landing site operator, a pair of weird doctors and the governor's nephew. Gerhard Tschach, mayor of Braunschlag, has a problem: After several failed business ventures, his town is bankrupt. Therefore, with his best friend, disco owner Richard Pfeisinger, he decides to fake a Marian apparition, to make tourists flood the ailing town and bring about the hoped-for financial recovery. Braunschlag starts to flourish, but the two hard-drinking men soon lose control. Somewhere between the delusions of the locals, pressure from the state capital, intractable marital problems and the Vatican, the situation escalates more and more - and the miracle of Braunschlag is becoming a nightmare fast.

Also, the last episode partially plays in a basement dungeon.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Ideologue

FTR, I was just making a little joke.  I am aware of the program, but also knew that S is familiar with the works of Basil Dearden. :P

Quote from: SytAlso, the last episode partially plays in a basement dungeon.

:lol:

Watched a couple of horror movies.  One was crappy, one wasn't.

Oculus and The Quiet Ones, A and C+ respectively.
Kinemalogue

crazy canuck

Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 17, 2014, 09:45:52 PM
I watched two episodes of Homeland and gave up.  How have they sustained it so long?  Is carrot top a mole or isn't he?

You should give it a try.  I also gave up on it initially but on the suggestion of my wife, who was hooked, I pushed past the first few episodes.  I am glad I did.

viper37

Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 17, 2014, 09:45:52 PM
I watched two episodes of Homeland and gave up.  How have they sustained it so long?  Is carrot top a mole or isn't he?
He's almost a mole, judging from season 1.  It's way too slow for me, nothing ever seems to happen.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Habbaku

You guys are missing out. The first two seasons and a good chunk of season three are incredible when they hit their stride.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Josquius

The first series of Homeland was very very good. I tried watching the second but...it just seemed dumb considering the first could have wrapped everything up nicely.
██████
██████
██████

Sheilbh

Quote from: Tyr on November 18, 2014, 05:29:14 PM
The first series of Homeland was very very good. I tried watching the second but...it just seemed dumb considering the first could have wrapped everything up nicely.
Same. I loved, loved, loved the first series. Couldn't get more than three episodes into the third one.

I say that as an enormous Inigo Montoya fan too.
Let's bomb Russia!