News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sheilbh

Quote from: Tyr on November 15, 2014, 02:11:33 PM
A film about black fighter pilots in WW2 sounds like something that could be great.
I think it sounds like something that would be trite and nutritious. But that may just be me :blush:
Let's bomb Russia!

Savonarola

The Sorcerer and the White Snake (2011)

In the still of the night a white snake demon falls in love with a mortal man.  Without contemplating "Is this love" they get married.  Meanwhile Jet Li kung-fus his way through a number of CGI monsters.  Meanwhile Jet-Li's disciple is turned into a bat demon and he has some wacky comedy relief with the white snake's best friend, green snake.  Eventually Jet Li squares off against Tawny Kitaen1 and kung fus the hell out of her.  Then he goes again on his own.

The movie is a lot of fun; but the plot is a mess.  Plus it gave me 80s flashbacks.   :(

1.)  Not really, though I would have loved to have seen that, instead Shengyi Huang plays the white snake. 
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Ed Anger

THE BURBS IS ON NETFLIX. REPEAT, THE BURBS IS ON NETFLIX.

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Caliga

Quote from: Ed Anger on November 15, 2014, 06:37:22 PM
THE BURBS IS ON NETFLIX. REPEAT, THE BURBS IS ON NETFLIX.
Rick Ducommun! :w00t:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Caliga

Quote from: Malthus on November 12, 2014, 10:22:38 AM
Quote from: Syt on November 12, 2014, 10:09:44 AM
21 Things in Interstellar That Don't Make Sense.

I will still watch it once it's out on blu ray, to form my own opinion, though chances are that at that point it'll be positive surprise.

I really wanted to like this movie. I'm a sucker for big, self-important, serious SF (as opposed to Star Wars style space opera), of which the leading exemplar is and remains 2001.

Sadly, while of course not set in the same fictional universe, in some ways Interstellar is to 2001 as Prometheus was to Alien.
I saw Interstellar this afternoon and loved it.  I think it's kind of unfair to try to compare it to 2001, as 2001 is the greatest science fiction movie of all time and will probably never be dethroned from that honor.  You don't have to be as good as 2001 to still be a great scifi movie, and I think Interstellar paid appropriate homage to 2001 which I appreciated.

I could have done with less Anne Hathaway, but she didn't annoy me as much in this movie as usual, truth be told.

Ed Anger

Ice Pirates is the greatest sci fi movie. Douche.

Caliga

Ed Anger

SEEDY'S NEGATIVITY IS WEARING OFF ON ME.

Caliga

Quote from: Ed Anger on November 15, 2014, 09:08:25 PM
What were you told?

Anyway if you want to go down that path, Spacehunter: Adventures in the Forbidden Zone was better than Ice Pirates, and Yor The Hunter From The Future was probably better than both of them.

Ed Anger

crazy canuck

Quote from: Caliga on November 15, 2014, 09:21:20 PM
Quote from: Ed Anger on November 15, 2014, 09:08:25 PM
What were you told?

Anyway if you want to go down that path, Spacehunter: Adventures in the Forbidden Zone was better than Ice Pirates, and Yor The Hunter From The Future was probably better than both of them.

You are both wrong. Cherry 2000 is better than all of them combined.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Ed Anger on November 15, 2014, 09:01:34 PM
Ice Pirates is the greatest sci fi movie. Douche.

You have betrayed Buckaroo Banzai.

Caliga

Shit, I forgot about Krull.  :(

Darth Wagtaros

I loved those movies. All of them.
PDH!

Ideologue

You know what's not terribly good?  Alien^3 (or however you render that title without really working it) (1992, though technically I watched the 2003-released assembly cut).  Slow and dull and miserablist (thanks, prison planet!), for every moment that's a real triumph of production design and composition and cinematography, there's another moment with a terribly matted-in xenomorph. C+
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)