News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

celedhring

I watched the first ep of "Go On!" should I be embarrassed that I found it funny? Then again, I admit I like Matthew Perry.

Also, how does John Cho manage to get himself in so many cancelled TV series? The guy is like a bad omen.

Savonarola

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on November 14, 2014, 11:29:16 PM
There is life beyond Schlock, Shock and Hitchcock.

:D

That would be a great name for a film festival.

To be fair to Ide he does watch a broad range of films and has likes well beyond monster movies and Hitchcock.  His tastes tend to represent the Ide World View (tm) (for example his love of "Things to Come" and hatred of "Metropolis.")  That's a vision that isn't widely shared, which is why some of his ratings seem odd.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Ideologue

I'm a singular visionary. :)  (And anyway, it's not just that Things to Come is a great propaganda film that I also happen to largely agree with as well as admire, and not just that Metropolis is a lousy class war fantasy that supposes that things will get a lot better once rich people inevitably start being nice instead, but also that Things to Come is in almost every respect better-made than Metropolis.  This is, however, more of a lionization of TTC than a condemnation of Metropolis, which I've always conceded was technically well-made.)

P.S. I found an art film from the late 1960s that's good--in fact, it's kind of amazing (but I repeat myself--"art film," "late 1960s," "good").  It's called The Swimmer (the Burt Lancaster movie I referred to), and truth be told it's kind of great.  Recommended especially for CDM, I think, and not in an ironic way, really, nor am I at all trying to be mean.  I think he'd get a lot out of it.  I know I did.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Ideologue

Oh, and "Shock, Shlock and Hitchcock" sounds even better as a great guiding philosophy for a repertory house.  "EVERY DAY WE SHOW ROPE."  "What about--"  "EVERY DAY."
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Ideologue on November 15, 2014, 08:13:33 AM
P.S. I found an art film from the late 1960s that's good--in fact, it's kind of amazing (but I repeat myself--"art film," "late 1960s," "good").  It's called The Swimmer (the Burt Lancaster movie I referred to), and truth be told it's kind of great.  Recommended especially for CDM, I think, and not in an ironic way, really, nor am I at all trying to be mean.  I think he'd get a lot out of it.  I know I did.

Haven't you already shit on Cheever before, or was that somebody else?

Ideologue

Doesn't seem likely that I would have, since other than the fact he's a writer and that The Swimmer was a short story published in the New Yorker, I don't know anything about the dude.  Well, I know he died, but that's because I spent 10 seconds just now on his Wikipedia page to see if I knew him from anything else.
Kinemalogue

CountDeMoney

Speaking of New Yorker short stories, here's one for you.  Take 10 minutes and read it.  You will enjoy it.

http://pov.imv.au.dk/Issue_27/section_1/artc2A.html

Ideologue

Quote from: CountDeMoney on November 15, 2014, 10:51:16 AM
Speaking of New Yorker short stories, here's one for you.  Take 10 minutes and read it.  You will enjoy it.

http://pov.imv.au.dk/Issue_27/section_1/artc2A.html

Yeah, that was pretty good.  Something about the unexpected wonders that come from spontaneous language, on one level, and how simply living life can just make you tired and bored with it.  I can buy that.
Kinemalogue

Ideologue

Oh, and I've gotta say that a B+ for Zodiac was way off.  I must've been responding to the way the movie sort of forces an exhaustion on you, but I don't think it could possibly be a seriously better version of what it is.
Kinemalogue

Ideologue

Has anyone else noticed that Netflix envelopes seem to have become much flimsier and shittier in the past few weeks/months?  Like, the foldover part has nearly come off on my last three rentals, and I've had to use tape to ensure that somewhere during the process the fucking disc just doesn't fall out.  They don't reuse the damn things do they? :blink:

Or am I the last person still getting physical discs from Netflix, and thus fully-functioning envelopes are a low priority for them? :D

I wonder if, in the brave new future of streaming to come, an enormous sale of Netflix inventory ala the Blockbuster going-out-of-business sales might not occur in 2016 or '17.  (Or if they're contractually obligated to throw blu-rays in a dump. <_< )
Kinemalogue

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Ideologue on November 15, 2014, 12:03:12 PM
Or am I the last person still getting physical discs from Netflix, and thus fully-functioning envelopes are a low priority for them? :D

I should start that up again. Every time I go to Netflix looking for a specific movie, it's unavailable for streaming.  <_<
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Ideologue

Indeed.  Their streaming is great as a giant cloud of random movies that you may one day watch, but if you want something in particular, it fucking blows.
Kinemalogue

Josquius

Red Tails- Ouch. A film about black fighter pilots in WW2 sounds like something that could be great. But this thing...the planes are cool but the acting and dialogue is simply laughable and the entire thing is the ultimate in hollywood history. Its just so freaking stupid. It halfway feels like a parody sometimes.
██████
██████
██████

viper37

Quote from: Tyr on November 15, 2014, 02:11:33 PM
Red Tails- Ouch. A film about black fighter pilots in WW2 sounds like something that could be great. But this thing...the planes are cool but the acting and dialogue is simply laughable and the entire thing is the ultimate in hollywood history. Its just so freaking stupid. It halfway feels like a parody sometimes.
the planes make some moves that wouldn't be out of place for an X-Wing ;)
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Ideologue on November 15, 2014, 04:17:29 AM
Still, it's not even that it's off-putting (the remake is off-putting in many ways)--Insomnia '97 just lacks content.
So film's a hundred year's behind every other art form? :P

Except architecture which is permanently childish :bleeding:
Let's bomb Russia!