And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ideologue

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on November 14, 2014, 05:16:22 PM
Quote from: Ideologue on November 14, 2014, 04:58:14 PM
You should be more like Sav, and develop deeper if not broader tastes, but at least a palate that isn't so tragically coextensive with your lame dinner party cinematic canon--and, increasingly, your cartoonish old-man bitterness.

Has Minsky laid enough bread crumbs for you to know what his palate is (rather than what it is not)?  :huh:

Not really, but if he's going to reduce me to a populist retard who likes 'splosions and nothing else I feel it's fair to reduce him to somebody with pedestrian petit bourgeois tastes, which would fall in line with vociferously defending something as disposable as Insomnia, since it got a buzz around it two decades ago, when he might've actually been current.

S'funny he thinks all I like are groovy spectacles, though, since like my second favorite movie this year was Locke, a movie entirely about Tom Hardy having conversations in a car
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

citizen k

Quote from: Jacob on November 14, 2014, 05:00:58 PM
I haven't noted Joan being particularly bitter?  :huh:

You should read your banking settlement thread.

Ideologue

I will concede that I might be jealous because at least Joan did get to grow old first.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Ed Anger

Quote from: Ideologue on November 14, 2014, 05:16:34 PM
Big shock: snob is snobby.

You should be more like Sav, and develop deeper and broader tastes, or at least a palate that isn't so tragically coextensive with your lame dinner party cinematic canon--and, increasingly, your cartoonish old-man bitterness.

In the post I was replying to he certainly was.  Dude gets cranky about Hollywood's remake culture, and kids today, and newly popular genres he doesn't enjoy or understand, and even technological progress.  With my "get off my lawn!" free space, I got bitter old man bingo.

He's right. You damn kids.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

CountDeMoney

Amen.  Snot-nosed brats.

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

FunkMonk

Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

mongers

'Blackfish - The Whale that Killed' - interesting documentary about Seaworld's misuse of orcas. 
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

The Minsky Moment

You should be more like Sav, and develop deeper if not broader tastes, but at least a palate that isn't so tragically coextensive with your lame dinner party cinematic canon--and, increasingly, your cartoonish old-man bitterness.

Insomnia is hardly a part of any cinematic canon, Mr. "Golden Age of Hollywood".
It is predictable you wouldn't like it: after all it has a flawed and very human (anti)- hero and the color palate is perhaps not to your liking.   :D. But if the choice is between watching something like that and completist viewing of Marvel vehicles so I could rank every superhero movie, or obsessing over the comparative merits of 50s/60s Japanese B monster flicks, it's an easy call. 

There is life beyond Schlock, Shock and Hitchcock.  Perhaps when you've left behind your youthful bitterness to mellow old age, you'll see that.  :)
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: citizen k on November 14, 2014, 05:54:36 PM

You should read your banking settlement thread.

I don't think rejection of Matt Taibbi's ugly cynicism counts as bitterness, just the opposite.  I understand why Holder was a target for right-wing fanatics and racists; it's sad to see the celebrity left turn on him as well.  But that's for the other thread . . .
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

CountDeMoney

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on November 14, 2014, 11:29:16 PM

Insomnia is hardly a part of any cinematic canon, Mr. "Golden Age of Hollywood".
It is predictable you wouldn't like it: after all it has a flawed and very human (anti)- hero and the color palate is perhaps not to your liking.   :D. But if the choice is between watching something like that and completist viewing of Marvel vehicles so I could rank every superhero movie, or obsessing over the comparative merits of 50s/60s Japanese B monster flicks, it's an easy call. 

There is life beyond Schlock, Shock and Hitchcock.  Perhaps when you've left behind your youthful bitterness to mellow old age, you'll see that.  :)

This post? B+

mongers

'The Lance Armstrong Story - Stop at Nothing ' documentary, does a real, thorough and necessary take-down on the guy.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: CountDeMoney on November 14, 2014, 10:31:21 AM
Quote from: The Minsky Moment on November 14, 2014, 10:18:07 AM
Quote from: Ideologue on November 13, 2014, 09:26:37 PM
Also: Insomnia (1997).  Dour, empty Euro artcrap.  I did like Stellan Skarsgard, but that was inevitable.  Otherwise, it's a big "whatever."  C+

:rolleyes:

Too many Godzilla movies.

And the worst of this kind, the american(ised) ones, by dubbing, remaking or editing.

Ideologue

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on November 14, 2014, 11:29:16 PM

Nolan one is part of mine. -_-

QuoteIt is predictable you wouldn't like it: after all it has a flawed and very human (anti)- hero and the color palate is perhaps not to your liking.   :D. But if the choice is between watching something like that and completist viewing of Marvel vehicles so I could rank every superhero movie, or obsessing over the comparative merits of 50s/60s Japanese B monster flicks, it's an easy call. 

The main thing is that it's boring and flatly acted by everyone but Skarsgard, and even Skarsgard isn't great.

QuoteThere is life beyond Schlock, Shock and Hitchcock.  Perhaps when you've left behind your youthful bitterness to mellow old age, you'll see that.  :)

I'm about to watch an art movie about Burt Lancaster swimming in other people's swimming pools till he finds the one he calls home.  Then I'm gonna watch an Ernst Lubitsch comedy from 1940, then I'm gonna watch a Disney cartoon about superheroes, and then I'm gonna watch an art movie about stream-of-consciousness storytelling and putting on a stageplay.  Man, I'm so Goddamned open-minded it's ridiculous.

Anyway, though, I'm tired of being of being mean to each other about tastes.  For one thing, I should be magnanimous in victory: populist garbage beat unpleasant self-conscious art forty years ago.  For another, it's all a matter of temperament. :hug:

Still, it's not even that it's off-putting (the remake is off-putting in many ways)--Insomnia '97 just lacks content.
Kinemalogue