News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

celedhring

Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 25, 2014, 04:47:45 PM
:lol: No idea.  That part made ninguna sense to me.

[spoiler]Yeah, it's a tacked on happy ending so it really doesn't make much sense. He wakes up before his arrest (he still has his major suit on), but the alien brain is already dead; the only thing that somewhat would make sense is that the alien brain tried to jump back in time to save its life, but Cruise co-opted the power in the middle of it.[/spoiler]

Admiral Yi

Well, if the producers of the movie gave me a bunch of money to come up with a way that the ending is plausible, I would say [spoiler]that, similar to the way that the green alien blood gave him the power to reset time, the brain alien blood gave him the power to reset time *and* change the past.  Or something like.[/spoiler]

Savonarola

14 Blades (2010)

Set at the end of the Ming period (beginning of the 17th century) this film deals with an attempt at a rebellion and the emperor's secret police; the ruthless Jinwei.  The story takes a back seat to the kung fu (watcha!) and the Wuxia; both of which are excellent.

Journey to the West: Conquering the Demons (2013)

Stephen Chow brings his broad humor to the Chinese classic "Journey to the West."  Unfortunately he keeps a good deal of the novels Buddhist/Taoist philosophy; so the film is uneven.  The comedy scenes are genuinely funny; the scenes that convey philosophy, not so much.  It's worthwhile; but both "Shaolin Soccer" and "Kung Fu Hustle" are better.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Admiral Yi

Did you think Shaolin Soccer was good, or just better than shit?  I gave up on it about 30 minutes in.  Somewhere around the rock and roll monks scene.

Ed Anger

I dislike chinamen movies
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

celedhring

Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 25, 2014, 07:13:53 PM
Did you think Shaolin Soccer was good, or just better than shit?  I gave up on it about 30 minutes in.  Somewhere around the rock and roll monks scene.

Only better than shit, imho. It was amusing for a while but it got old pretty quick.

I have yet to find a wuxia film that I really love, though.

celedhring

Also, anyone can recommend me a few good recent horror films now that Halloween's around the corner? I find most of the recent strain of horror films (Insidious, Paranormal Activity, and the likes) to be quite shit, but I haven't seen The Conjuring.

Syt

You being Spanish I presume you've watched [REC] already? :P
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

celedhring

Quote from: Syt on October 26, 2014, 03:05:17 AM
You being Spanish I presume you've watched [REC] already? :P

Indeed. I work for the producers of those films, actually  :lol:

I just hate "boo!" horror films. I prefer creepy stuff, like Let the right one in. That was the last horror film I absolutely loved (both the yank and Swedish versions). Cabin in the woods was also damn great, but I consider it a comedy/spoof.

Syt

I don't watch horror movies as much as I used to, but I guess this list might get you started: http://www.ondvdreleases.com/best-horror-movies/
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Admiral Yi

You said new, but have you seen Jacob's Ladder?

Probably the second creepiest movie I've seen, after The Exorcist.

celedhring

Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 26, 2014, 03:18:14 AM
You said new, but have you seen Jacob's Ladder?

Probably the second creepiest movie I've seen, after The Exorcist.

Yes I have, and I loved it indeed.

Syt

Confession time: I've never watched Poltergeist in its entirety. When I was 9 or so it was on late night TV and I tried watching it form my bed, but I kept switching to another channel, because it was too scary for me.  :blush:

Of recent movies I liked Dead Snow, though a friend enlightened me that it's technically not a zombie movie, but about Wiedergänger, Draugr or Gjenganger..
—Stephen Jay Gould