News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Savonarola

Phantom of the Opera (1925)

This time through I was really impressed by Lon Chaney's performance.  Not only was his make up among the best in his career (he did all his own make up) but most of his performance is done without any facial expression since the phantom is usually masked.

The print I saw had soprano arias playing whenever either Christine or Carlotta were supposed to be singing.  Of course the song didn't match up to their mouths, so it was a little odd.

The Bal Masque (in glorious two tone color) is one of the greatest scenes in silent film; Ide was right about that.  Now I'm wishing he were somehow here again.   :(
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

The Brain

The Trip to Italy. Movie version. Damn some of the laziest stuff I've seen. They're doing the same impressions as in the first? Weak.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Josquius

I decided to watch the pilot of Breaking Bad.
I had totally forgot in the later series that Walter worked in the car wash in the TV series, I assumed when he talked about having worked there it was something that had happened before the TV series, perhaps when he was a student.
It also looks really old for some reason, despite just being from the end of the last decade.

I also watched a film called Frank. Some weird take on Frank Sidebottom; why they would make a film about him I've no idea....probably why they so drastically altered everything about it. It was so-so.
██████
██████
██████

Syt

Breaking Bad looks old to you? :huh: The only thing that makes it feel slightly dated are the non-smartphones they use.

I watched the first two episodes of BoJack Horseman. It's surprisingly much better than I had feared.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Josquius

Quote from: Syt on October 25, 2014, 01:49:12 AM
Breaking Bad looks old to you? :huh: The only thing that makes it feel slightly dated are the non-smartphones they use.
The final series certainly didn't when I watched it last year. But re-watching the pilot it does. I'm not sure why.
I watched the first two episodes of BoJack Horseman. It's surprisingly much better than I had feared.
It starts pretty badly too. It is a really pretty good show.
██████
██████
██████

Eddie Teach

Enemy Mine. Cheesy but entertaining.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on October 25, 2014, 09:36:21 AM
Enemy Mine. Cheesy but entertaining.

lol, I havent seen that movie in ages.

mongers

'Captain Philips' with Tom Hanks, worth bothering to watch ?
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Admiral Yi

I don't think you've listened to my advice a single time.

celedhring

Well, Edge of Tomorrow was excellent. Loved it.

Neil

Saw John Wick.  Actually quite enjoyed it.  It was nice that the whole supporting cast wad 'Hey, that guy!'
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Neil

I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

celedhring

Easily one of the best sci-fi actioners I have seen in recent years. I was afraid it would just get stuck on the groundhog day tropes but once they get that out of the way and Cruise discovers his "mission" it manages to find its own path in a very satisfying way.

I only disliked [spoiler]the tacked on happy ending[/spoiler] but it wasn't a big deal. They probably could have developed his relationship with Blunt's character a little bit more, but they have some good moments. [spoiler]Loved the farm scene for example.[/spoiler]

The Brain

Explain to me, as you would to an idiot, what was so great about EoT.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.