News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Habbaku

Quote from: Ideologue on October 16, 2014, 08:48:58 PM
I'll review it, but just in case you were about to step out right this second: Fury is a fucking travesty.  Think twice.

Don't bother; won't read it.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Ideologue

Then don't, you dumb cunt.

As for Money, not like he could afford a ticket anyway.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

CountDeMoney

Ideologue

Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

CountDeMoney

Seriously, though--in less than 50 words and using only 7 commas, what's its damage?

Josephus

Frequently Asked Questions About Time Travel.

Cute little Brit movie about three young men discussing time travel in a pub when strange things start happening to them. A low key, sci fi comedy. Enjoyable.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

11B4V

Quote from: Ideologue on October 16, 2014, 08:48:58 PM
I'll review it, but just in case you were about to step out right this second: Fury is a fucking travesty.  Think twice.

This states nothing.

It is Running 83% IMDB and 76% on RT.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Ideologue

Quote from: CountDeMoney on October 16, 2014, 09:52:23 PM
Seriously, though--in less than 50 words and using only 7 commas, what's its damage?

It's unintentionally funny in how deeply and constantly it wallows in misery.  The first hour is a monotonous parade of background grotesqueries as well as at least one war crime perpetrated by the protagonists.  The second expects you to still care about the characters.  I guess if you only saw the second hour, it would have been cool.

For 11B4V: also not enough tank on tank action.
Kinemalogue

Habbaku

Quote from: Ideologue on October 16, 2014, 09:48:51 PM
Then don't, you dumb cunt.

As for Money, not like he could afford a ticket anyway.

:yeah:
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

CountDeMoney

Ideologue

Oh, no, personal antipathy.  I'm wounded.
Kinemalogue

Berkut

Quote from: Ideologue on October 16, 2014, 10:03:09 PM

It's unintentionally funny in how deeply and constantly it wallows in misery.  The first hour is a monotonous parade of background grotesqueries as well as at least one war crime perpetrated by the protagonists.  The second expects you to still care about the characters.  I guess if you only saw the second hour, it would have been cool.

Saw it today, thought it was excellent.

The critique here is grotesque. The first hour is nothing but misery? It's a fucking war movie - of course it is miserable. War is kind of miserable.

And yes, the "protaganist" isn't a very nice guy. That is the entire point. A bunch of people doing pretty horrible things in a pretty horrible world. How could you so thoroughly miss the entirety of the point of the movie?
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Berkut

Also went and saw Gone Girl with the wife earlier today. It was also extremely good, great little story, and a very unconventional and unsettling conclusion.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Habbaku

-J. R. R. Tolkien

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Berkut on October 16, 2014, 11:59:29 PM
Quote from: Ideologue on October 16, 2014, 10:03:09 PM

Saw it today, thought it was excellent.

The critique here is grotesque. The first hour is nothing but misery? It's a fucking war movie - of course it is miserable. War is kind of miserable.

And yes, the "protaganist" isn't a very nice guy. That is the entire point. A bunch of people doing pretty horrible things in a pretty horrible world. How could you so thoroughly miss the entirety of the point of the movie?

:lol: