And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ideologue

Quote from: celedhring on October 15, 2014, 03:44:42 AM
Quote from: Ideologue on October 15, 2014, 03:25:56 AM
The Third Man is replete with what may be the most inappropriate, poorly sound-edited, and even inherently ugliest score in cinematic history.

You do that on purpose, right? :lol:

The score is one of the greatest parts of the film. You can't do post World-War Vienna with your typical orchestrated thriller music from the 1930s or 40s. There's been a war in there, half the sets you're shooting are ruined buildings. Nothing like street music to evoke the feeling of the streets of the city, and give the story that feeling of reality despite it being a noir that uses a lot of the noir cliches. Using that music is a stroke of genius by Reed.

If it had been used more sparingly, it might have been enjoyable.  Instead, it's used for everything and it's horrible.  Coming to Vienna?  Zither music.  Your best friend's funeral?  Zither music.  Sad the woman you love doesn't care about you?  Zither music.  Gunfight in a sewer?  Zither music.  Crippled children?  Zither music.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Malthus

Quote from: Viking on October 15, 2014, 10:21:23 AM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 15, 2014, 10:16:08 AM
Quote from: Baron von Schtinkenbutt on October 15, 2014, 09:49:42 AM
I don't remember anything particularly glaring that was wrong with the movie.

When Sandra Bullock is dangling from the wires.  What force is pulling her away?

Plot convenience.

When the Sandra Bullock character landed in the water at the end, I half-expected her to be chased ashore by a hungry shark (and then mugged on the beach).  ;)
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Admiral Yi

When the Sandra Bullock character landed in the water at the end I was staring at her ass.

lustindarkness

Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 15, 2014, 10:47:49 AM
When the Sandra Bullock character landed in the water at the end I was staring at her ass.

:yes:
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

Ideologue

So, what is it like not to have human feelings?  Do you have other kinds of emotions, or is it just a machinelike emptiness?  Is it better, worse; are such comparisons even applicable?  I wonder.

(I had already enjoyed Ms. Bullock's ass when she was in her underwear and floating around.)
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Savonarola

Quote from: Ideologue on October 15, 2014, 10:54:29 AM
So, what is it like not to have human feelings?  Do you have other kinds of emotions, or is it just a machinelike emptiness?  Is it better, worse; are such comparisons even applicable?  I wonder.

Speaking as an engineer; it's definitely better.   :)

;)
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Ideologue

Inapplicable.  Yi's no STEM major.
Kinemalogue

lustindarkness

Good morning, Worm your honor.
The crown will plainly show
The prisoner who now stands before you
Was caught red-handed showing feelings
Showing feelings of an almost human nature;
This will not do.
Call the schoolmaster!
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

Barrister

Quote from: Savonarola on October 15, 2014, 11:01:28 AM
Quote from: Ideologue on October 15, 2014, 10:54:29 AM

Speaking as an engineer; it's definitely better.   :)

;)

Speaking as a lawyer, I wonder if having no human feelings is something like having no soul? :unsure:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

celedhring

Quote from: Malthus on October 15, 2014, 10:44:29 AM
Quote from: Viking on October 15, 2014, 10:21:23 AM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 15, 2014, 10:16:08 AM
Quote from: Baron von Schtinkenbutt on October 15, 2014, 09:49:42 AM
I don't remember anything particularly glaring that was wrong with the movie.

When Sandra Bullock is dangling from the wires.  What force is pulling her away?

Plot convenience.

When the Sandra Bullock character landed in the water at the end, I half-expected her to be chased ashore by a hungry shark (and then mugged on the beach).  ;)

My thoughts exactly; the whole "and now THIS goes wrong"x1000 plot ended up being tiresome, and took me away from the story actually, since it was so contrived. But fortunately the movie sort of recognizes that and it's fairly short, so you can sit back and marvel at the sights, including the aforementioned ass.

Ideologue

If Steven Price had worked in a zither, would your feelings on it change?
Kinemalogue

Malthus

Quote from: Ideologue on October 15, 2014, 03:10:19 PM
If Steven Price had worked in a zither, would your feelings on it change?

Depends. Can one play "Yakety Sax" on a zither?  :P
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Ideologue

If David O. Selznick backs down despite decades of experience in filmmaking, yes.

OK that one was on purpose, cel. :P
Kinemalogue

Josephus

Quote from: lustindarkness on October 15, 2014, 11:08:12 AM
Good morning, Worm your honor.
The crown will plainly show
The prisoner who now stands before you
Was caught red-handed showing feelings
Showing feelings of an almost human nature;
This will not do.
Call the schoolmaster!

Why we quoting the Wall?
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Habbaku

Quote from: CountDeMoney on October 15, 2014, 09:37:21 AM
Quote from: Ideologue on October 15, 2014, 03:25:56 AM
Nonetheless (and despite an overreliance on dutch angles for absolutely ordinary scenes which do fit into the atmosphere but get a little silly, and a certain repetitious nature to its plotting when it should be moving ever faster), The Third Man is, as they say, pretty excellent, boasting great performances, a fantastically effective exploitation of Vienna's post-war suffering, and a lovely mystery that I solved, or would have solved, if I hadn't already known, but which is perfect and satisfying all the same. B+

Stop, using, so, many, fucking, commas, all, the, time, god, dammit.

So that's where Valmy's commas went to.   :hmm:
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien