News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Ideologue on October 06, 2014, 04:59:22 PM
Tron: Legacy did have some bitchin' costume design.

Ok more seriously.
You claim to be an aficionado of the Hollywood "golden age" but the fact is that one of the hallmarks of that era (and its best work) were the stables of talented writers producing witty and sometimes scintillating dialogue.  (lots of good costume design then too but that was just because Edith Head happened to be around.   ;) ).  That's what really defines the golden age - the undestanding that movies are putting stories up on screen and that means both attracting the eye AND telling a good (or funny) story.   Some turgid but insipid CGI-smash up is not a lineal descendant of that era.

The dialogue in Tron:Legacy is cringe-worthy, not quite bad enough to be funny, but bad enough to make me want to stop the sound.  Garret whathisface is an absolute zero in the film - no presence, no impact at all.  Finally Jeff Bridges shows up and you think there is a glimmer of hope but instead there is some guy doing mediocre impressions of Jeffrey Lebowski.   Pauly Shore would have been more convincing as a technical genius.  yeah there are some whiz bang computerized action scenes but visually it is mostly drab and ugly and lacks the distinctive kitschiness of the original.  The only positive is Michael Sheen as he is the only one who (a) isn't mailing it in, and (b) gets that he is in a profoundly silly movie and hams it up appropriately.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Malthus

I never saw Tron: Legacy, but now I want to, just to join in making fun of Ide.  :P

Seriously though, I always enjoy your movie reviews Ide, even if I don't agree with them.  ;)
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Malthus on October 06, 2014, 05:41:26 PM
Seriously though, I always enjoy your movie reviews Ide, even if I don't agree with them.  ;)

Same which is why I am gobbling down the troll bait.  B/c maybe there really is some shred of hope of getting through.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Baron von Schtinkenbutt

Quote from: Ideologue on October 06, 2014, 05:26:48 PM
:wacko:

You have captured my reaction to your statement exactly.

...Flawed by about thirty minutes, by my clock. :P

Yes, I think the movie could and should have been shorter.  The tension sequence at the end created by the armed nuke was unnecessary and would have whacked about ten minutes off it.  There were a bunch of other, smaller bits inside the movie that could have gone as well.

Godzilla being better than Pacific Rim, though, is a load of bullshit.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on October 06, 2014, 05:27:10 PM
You claim to be an aficionado of the Hollywood "golden age" but the fact is that one of the hallmarks of that era (and its best work) were the stables of talented writers producing witty and sometimes scintillating dialogue.  (lots of good costume design then too but that was just because Edith Head happened to be around.   ;) ).  That's what really defines the golden age - the undestanding that movies are putting stories up on screen and that means both attracting the eye AND telling a good (or funny) story.   Some turgid but insipid CGI-smash up is not a lineal descendant of that era.

C'mon, this is the movie reviewer that poo-poohs the Actors' Studio.

QuoteThe only positive is Michael Sheen

Disagree;  Olivia Wilde's bare shoulders were whack-off worthy.

Eddie Teach

Just finished a second viewing of Breaking Bad. Just as magnificent as the first time.

Also, quite a bit more fun than chain viewing 30 movies.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

katmai

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on October 06, 2014, 05:47:19 PM
Quote from: Malthus on October 06, 2014, 05:41:26 PM

Same which is why I am gobbling down the troll bait.  B/c maybe there really is some shred of hope of getting through.
and this is where you fail JR
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

CountDeMoney

Tonitrus, katmai, garbon, et al., will be happy to know that I am plowing through last season's Walking Dead at a record pace, in time for next week's season premiere, at which point I will be able to join in your post-episode reindeer games.

Ed Anger

I'm annoyed they cancelled Longmire. a&e assholes.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Tonitrus

Quote from: CountDeMoney on October 06, 2014, 07:37:33 PM
Tonitrus, katmai, garbon, et al., will be happy to know that I am plowing through last season's Walking Dead at a record pace, in time for next week's season premiere, at which point I will be able to join in your post-episode reindeer games.

And I'll be happy to hear you make-up for some commentary on S4 as you plow through it.  :)

garbon

I don't know if Madam Secretary is going to last. Their doing too much of the "pulled from the headlines" with their explicit references to Benghazi and then most recently to Snowden.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Scipio

God, do I tire of and hate The Walking Dead. My supposedly brilliant wife ("I have a higher IQ than Einstein!") thinks its the bee's knees, but all of those fucking people are too stupid to live, post-apocalypse.

At least in the comic book the stupid dies quickly, and regularly, and is steadily replaced by new stupid.
What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

garbon

Well I suppose if anyone in the US, besides the residents of Detroit, would know what it is like to live in a post-apocalyptic setting, it would be the people of Mississippi.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Queequeg

Anyone watch Peaky Blinders yet?
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

CountDeMoney

Quote from: garbon on October 06, 2014, 09:26:34 PM
I don't know if Madam Secretary is going to last. Their doing too much of the "pulled from the headlines" with their explicit references to Benghazi and then most recently to Snowden.

I watched the first episode.  As much as Leoni makes me tingle in my No Touch Spots, I couldn't hang.