News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martinus

By the way, I haven't been here when the show was playing, so a question: any Penny Dreadful fans? I absolutely loved it.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Martinus on August 30, 2014, 03:00:13 PM
By the way, I haven't been here when the show was playing, so a question: any Penny Dreadful fans? I absolutely loved it.

I bailed on it early, just wasn't getting me into it.  I could watch Eva Green make brownies all day, and I still like Timothy Dalton  IM A SLASHER...OF PRICES!, but it just didn't hook me.  I may try it again during the long winter months, though.

"Nick" seems pretty hardcore, though. 

celedhring

It felt disjointed and with a lack of focus. Just a collection of sleazy/pulpy/dark vignettes - which ain't necessarily bad, but it got old quick for me.

Admiral Yi

I caught a little of Avatar last night.  It was on FX, one of those shows where two hosts blabber about the movie during commercial breaks.  They had the Avatar producer on, and he said they will make four (!) Avatar sequels.

:unsure:

celedhring

Quote from: Admiral Yi on August 30, 2014, 04:12:11 PM
I caught a little of Avatar last night.  It was on FX, one of those shows where two hosts blabber about the movie during commercial breaks.  They had the Avatar producer on, and he said they will make four (!) Avatar sequels.

:unsure:

IIRC they are going to shoot three sequels back-to-back. But Cameron keeps pushing it back and saying he's still working in the scripts, etc...

Man, I feel we've been robbed of James Cameron for 20 years. I just want one mature sci-fi film from him. Just one please.

The Brain

Adult SF isn't that great. Sex Trek: The Motion Picture had a very disappointing confrontation with V'gina.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

celedhring

That's why we need James Cameron doing it.

Ideologue

Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Eddie Teach

Speaking of Cameron, I finally saw The Abyss. I liked it. Better than that other nautical disaster movie of his...

[spoiler]Question- why does everyone assume the creatures are aliens, rather than something that evolved in the deep sea?  :hmm:[/spoiler]
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Ideologue

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on August 30, 2014, 06:17:14 PM
Speaking of Cameron, I finally saw The Abyss. I liked it. Better than that other nautical disaster movie of his...

[spoiler]Question- why does everyone assume the creatures are aliens, rather than something that evolved in the deep sea?  :hmm:[/spoiler]

Spoiler tags?  What is this, 1987?  Everybody knows, right?  Ugh, fine.

[spoiler]Anyway, I don't think they do, in the sense that they're space creatures.  They're referred to aliens, because they're not human, but I think even the film explicitly suggests a terrestrial origin.[/spoiler]

The Abyss really needs a BD release.

Speaking of endings to movies that are actually at least marginally obscure, or at least not most famous for their endings ( :P ), can someone explain WTF just happened in Grand Slam (1967)?  [spoiler]I mean, I get the gist--Janet Leigh stole the diamonds--but the mechanics seem off and I'm pretty sure the film cheats outrageously given the contours of what's really going on.  I think she stole them from the cops, after the heist, switching out a pair of bags?  That makes the entire movie make less than no sense.  Alternatively, she switched the diamonds for fakes before the heist even happened, which makes many scenes make no sense, though the film continues to make at least some.[/spoiler]
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Admiral Yi

It totally blew my mind in LOTR when [spoiler]Frodo threw the ring in the lava and destroyed it!![/spoiler]  Didn't see that coming at all.

Ideologue

Yeah, I know.  Look, I don't want to get yelled at.
Kinemalogue

Ideologue

Oh, and for the record, I always liked Rushmore.  I just never thought anyone in their right mind could find it better than The Life Aquatic or, latterly, Moonrise Kingdom.
Kinemalogue

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Ideologue on August 30, 2014, 08:13:52 PM
Oh, and for the record, I always liked Rushmore.  I just never thought anyone in their right mind could find it better than The Life Aquatic or, latterly, Moonrise Kingdom.

That's because it's you.

Josephus

I just saw the Emperor Strikes Back and [spoiler]holy shit...vadar is Luke's father[/spoiler]

Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011