News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Darth Wagtaros

I tried watching that Musketeers show, but it was too terrible.

Watched a bit of some Brit action sow called Striked back. Not too bad.

Then I decided to put on a cartoon called Gravity Falls, which I found funny.
PDH!

Eddie Teach

Buffalo '66. At times fascinating, at times draggy. Overall, worth the watch.

Also I'll mention that it had Christina Ricci at the most Cal-approved state she's ever been in.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

viper37

Quote from: Admiral Yi on August 21, 2014, 07:08:16 PM
Quote from: celedhring on August 21, 2014, 05:58:32 PM
Watched two eps of the Musketeers series today; It's quite terrible. Not even Capaldi can save it.

Is that a spinoff of that godawful movie with Milla Jovovich spinning through the air and firing gatling cannons?
no, totally new direction.  it gets better over time, still about average, but great potential for season 2.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: celedhring on August 22, 2014, 03:01:05 AM
Nope, although it does have some anachronisms, like rabid feminist countesses and quick-reloading handguns. They don't follow Dumas' novels, they just take the characters and create new stories - which is fine - but those stories are pretty uninteresting and feel way too "modern", written with a XXIth century mentality. Plus it's one of those period series where everybody is perfectly clean and groomed, all the time.

I suppose "awful" it's too strong a word, it's like drinking diet coke I guess. Flavorless, but it won't poison you.
I felt that while they didn't follow Dumas' story, but they kept the spirit.  I quite like it :)

I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on August 23, 2014, 12:26:11 AM
Buffalo '66. At times fascinating, at times draggy. Overall, worth the watch.

Also I'll mention that it had Christina Ricci at the most Cal-approved state she's ever been in.

I nominate Christina Ricci for sexiest pudgy girl ever.

Admiral Yi

Watched a little of The Longest Day.  What I noticed this time was the surprisingly good effects and the gaps in the subtitling.  Sometimes the Kraut officers go on and on and there's no subtitle at all.

mongers

Quote from: Admiral Yi on August 23, 2014, 05:25:57 AM
Watched a little of The Longest Day.  What I noticed this time was the surprisingly good effects and the gaps in the subtitling.  Sometimes the Kraut officers go on and on and there's no subtitle at all.

They did/do that with Hitler too.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Ed Anger

The Sand Pebbles. Fucking Gooks.

rating: Dead Gook storage
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Razgovory

I saw Snowpiercer on my Kindle.  I never could get past how silly the whole premise is.  A silly premise is okay, but it's taken very seriously and driven by tortured metaphor.  It reminds a bit of the Matrix which has a silly concept but was okay because mostly an action movie about neat special effects.  The sequels focused on the silly concept and stupid metaphors and were not nearly so good.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

LaCroix

Quote from: Razgovory on August 23, 2014, 09:33:07 PM
I saw Snowpiercer on my Kindle.  I never could get past how silly the whole premise is.  A silly premise is okay, but it's taken very seriously and driven by tortured metaphor.  It reminds a bit of the Matrix which has a silly concept but was okay because mostly an action movie about neat special effects.  The sequels focused on the silly concept and stupid metaphors and were not nearly so good.

i agree, but i thought it added to the movie's charm. it's such a ridiculous movie already that the fact the creators took it seriously is, imo, pretty awesome.

[spoiler]for example, look at the ending. it clearly tried to make a point and end on a satisfying note, when what actually occurred was a drug addict high off industrial waste accidentally exterminated mankind because he couldn't wait a few years  :lol:[/spoiler]

Josquius

I've been watching a Swedish comedy series called "Welcome to Sweden".
It is very good. Most of it is in English. About an American guy who moves to Sweden to be with his much more attractive girlfriend. American is surprised at normal things in Sweden. General comedy stuff happens. Hilarity ensues.
██████
██████
██████

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Tyr on August 24, 2014, 07:17:59 AM
It is very good. Most of it is in English. About an American guy who moves to Sweden to be with his much more attractive girlfriend. American is surprised at normal things in Sweden. General comedy stuff happens. Hilarity ensues.

It's OK, but it would probably be funnier if I knew any non-asshole Swedes instead of the döüchebags on Languish to get some of the Swede references.  I would have to move to Norway, though.

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

CountDeMoney

You people annoy me to no end.  And IKEA has shitty ass parking.

Viking

Quote from: Tyr on August 24, 2014, 07:17:59 AM

Is it the swedish "Lilyhammer"?
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.