News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CountDeMoney

Quote from: celedhring on August 02, 2014, 01:41:05 PM
Does WW use a sword in the comics? (I'd swear she doesn't, but I haven't read that many comics with WW in them besides JLA). It looks stupid.

Have to remember her ancients-influenced Amazonian roots.

Needs more bondage anyway.

Ideologue

Quote from: celedhring on August 02, 2014, 05:33:42 AM
IIRC Chayefsky and Russell disagreed mainly in the tone of the film, but the script remained almost untouched. Chayefsky wanted a "serious" sci-fi film, while the end result is a bit more lighthearted. To Russell's credit I think that's the right approach, it's a film about people getting high, not Space Odissey.

I don't really find Altered States lighthearted, except in the sense it has a happy ending where love conquers all.  It's one of my favorite horror movies and my impression is that Russell takes it as seriously as a movie about drugs that turn you into primordial life could ever be taken (which puts it into tension with every other Goddamned thing he's ever done, but still).

QuoteIf you're researching Russell, I'd rather see Women in Love or The Devils, if it's available in uncensored form in the US. Those two are imho the quintessential Russell films; certainly love-or-hate affairs. Crimes of Passion is decidedly "meh" compared to them.

The Devils, which I'd really like to see, doesn't seem to be available via Netflix, or any which way short of straight up buying a DVD for like $13.  Pass.

P.S.  Wonder Woman uses a sword a fair amount in the comics, though of course her principal and iconic weapon is her magic lasso, which they don't have in that photo.  (I don't mind the "Xena" look myself, because for goodness' sakes, if two characters were ever likely to look alike, it's Wonder Woman and Xena since they're cut directly from the exact same mold.)  But if her lasso ain't in the movie, that's a fucking travesty.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

celedhring

You have seen it more recently than me, but I do remember a good amount of comedy and romance in Altered States; that said, the same can be said about The Fly and it's still a pretty scary film.

Savonarola

Gojira (1954) The Beast from 20,000 Fathoms (1953)

An atomic test awakens a mysterious prehistoric beast in this tale from Ishiro Honda Jack Dietz with special effects by  Ray Harryhausen.  At first no one believes the monster exists, but soon the world is awaken to its presence and it's destroying Tokyo New York City.

;)

This is a great deal of fun and (obviously) incredibly influential on subsequent monster movies.  It's a little slow at points and relies on stock footage with voice over too often.  Still Ray Harryhausen's beast wins out; he manages to give his claymation personality.  This was his first film as the lead creature effects; he had worked as an assistant on "Mighty Joe Young."  Both a young Roscoe P. Coltrane and an unbelievably young Lee Van Cleef have small roles in this film.  Lee looks fresh off the high school basketball team, tall, gangly and wide eyed; a far cry from Angel Eyes. :alberta:
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

mongers

Quote from: Ideologue on August 02, 2014, 03:41:18 PM

The Devils, which I'd really like to see, doesn't seem to be available via Netflix, or any which way short of straight up buying a DVD for like $13.  Pass.

I've a copy I could send you.  :ph34r:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

FunkMonk

Guardians of the Galaxy was terrific. 
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Ideologue

Quote from: mongers on August 02, 2014, 07:10:56 PM
Quote from: Ideologue on August 02, 2014, 03:41:18 PM

I've a copy I could send you.  :ph34r:

:ph34r:

Does it involve teh Internetz?
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

LaCroix

ide, if you'd invest instead every dollar you would normally spend on movies, shows, and streaming sites, you'd probably add at least a  hundred thousand to your retirement fund :P

Ideologue

If I only ate boiled rice I bet I could save a lot of money too.

Fact: this past week I only spent $15 on movies.  Well, $35 if you count theater tickets, which isn't very fair.  But the only one I purchased was Bugsy Malone. :)
Kinemalogue

LaCroix

Quote from: Ideologue on August 02, 2014, 08:49:25 PM
If I only ate boiled rice I bet I could save a lot of money too.

Fact: this past week I only spent $15 on movies.  Well, $35 if you count theater tickets, which isn't very fair.  But the only one I purchased was Bugsy Malone. :)

yes, but film and television shows are different because they are widely available free of charge.

Ideologue

TV is not free of charge, and in fairness I'd bet if you took what you spend on cable and what I spend on movies and compared them side by side at the end of a year... well, it's probably still a lot more on my side, but even so there's like a $50 a month savings even when you take into account my Hulu Plus subscription.
Kinemalogue

LaCroix

Ideologue

Are you advising me to break... THE LAW?
Kinemalogue

Caliga

Quote from: FunkMonk on August 02, 2014, 08:05:32 PM
Guardians of the Galaxy was terrific.
+1

It got a standing ovation at the (packed) theater I saw it in tonight.  I haven't seen that since The Matrix.  It deserved it, too.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

LaCroix

Quote from: Ideologue on August 02, 2014, 09:13:21 PM
Are you advising me to break... THE LAW?

i would, and have, advised people to jaywalk