News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CountDeMoney

Fuck it, then.  Stay home, make a grilled cheese sandwich and jerk off after Casablanca.

celedhring

Was thinking of BBQ pizza and American Hustle.

Ideologue

Well, it's better than American Hustle.

Formally it's gorgeous, as a narrative it's marginally effective garbage.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Savonarola

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on July 31, 2014, 12:41:29 AM
Romeo and Juliet(1936)- needs more dancing Puerto Ricans.

Ashley Wilkes as a forty year old Romeo bothered me at first; but he was such a good actor that it worked.  (It helped that Norma Shearer was not exactly 13.)

I once read that Basil Rathbone (Tybalt) was a fencing master; but was often cast as the villain in swashbuckling movies.  Consequently this was the only on-screen duel that he won.

I think John Barrymore did a great job as Mercutio.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

11B4V

Quote from: CountDeMoney on August 01, 2014, 10:54:49 AM
Quote from: celedhring on August 01, 2014, 10:27:16 AM
Got asked to see How To Train Your Dragon 2 tonight. Opinions? I liked the first one, but I wasn't as enamored by it as most reviewers/people around me.

Is there the possibility of 1) getting laid and/or 2) a free meal?

Those are the only parameters that should dictate your actions.

No shit. Priorities. Who cares if the movie is good or not.  :lol:
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

celedhring

I admit I have seen truly abject films in order to get laid. I would still do so.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: 11B4V on August 01, 2014, 12:27:58 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on August 01, 2014, 10:54:49 AM
Is there the possibility of 1) getting laid and/or 2) a free meal?

Those are the only parameters that should dictate your actions.

No shit. Priorities. Who cares if the movie is good or not.  :lol:

It'll be at RedBox soon enough.  I'm horny and hungry now.

Josephus

I see there's a super long version of Fire Walk With Me out...wonder if it's worth it
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Malthus

Quote from: celedhring on August 01, 2014, 12:37:39 PM
I admit I have seen truly abject films in order to get laid. I would still do so.

I'm with you, right up until Battlefield Earth.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Josephus on August 01, 2014, 12:55:21 PM
I see there's a super long version of Fire Walk With Me out...wonder if it's worth it

It is.

Savonarola

Lawrence of Arabia (1962)

CB and I watched this while we were getting torrential downpours here in Florida.  It was an amusing contrast.

I think this is Lean's masterpiece in terms of cinematography and O'Toole's best work as well.  Anthony Quinn, Omar Sharif, Claude Rains and Obi-Won Kenobi are just icing on the cake.  On a scale of 1 to 10 I rate it NO PRISONERS!
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Admiral Yi

I read an amusing review of Lawrence of Arabia in DC's free rag; the line that stuck with me is "Peter O'Toole and Omar Sharif serve as foreground composition."

CountDeMoney

Finally saw the Mad Max reboot trailer somebody posted earlier.
Looks like a lot of post-apocalypse honeys are gonna get raped.  Other than that, Meh.

mongers

It's official - '12 Years a Slave' was good/excellent.

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Admiral Yi

Notting Hill still makes me blubber on the fourth viewing.